Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By perilousselector Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:43 pm
I just plugged in a new compact flash card reader into my 3000 and it isn't recognised.. I formatted the card in my pc on mpc editor and loaded it with sounds and the card looks fine on the pc, and i guess thats not relevant as the 3000 just doesn't recognise any SCSI device is plugged in..but i have successfully saved sounds onto zip drive through the SCSI so that can't be broken right? (i hope!) the cable is brand new by the look of it so seems unlikely to be that though possible..not much help in the manual either..anyone know of any reason other than broken cable and / or broken cf reader?...to make things worse my usb zip for the pc doesnt work either as i have just realised..its a long road with the 3000!!
By micb Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:47 pm
Wow, the 3k really seems to be hit and miss with scsi.

What make and model of cf drive are you using? I know a fairly common problem is that the scsi fuse can blow, however the fact you have gotten a zip drive to work may rubbish that idea all together. It might be worth looking and reading into it a bit further thbough as I am not sure if the fuse can cause the scsi to be tempermental or just stop all together...?

What is the make and size of your cf card you are using also. Tell us more..
By SEED78 Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:18 pm
like the man said - we need more info to help, or at the very least to tell you if you are flogging a dead horse or not... could be a handful of things that need checking out, let us know before you waste too much more time.

what is the drive, is it a PCD, or a custom made one with an Acard SCSI bridge? internal/external?

specific brand of CF card.

where did you buy from?
By Shostakovich Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:11 pm
I know a fairly common problem is that the scsi fuse can blow, however the fact you have gotten a zip drive to work may rubbish that idea all together.

Not if the SCSI drive is self terminating.

I formatted the card in my pc on mpc editor and loaded it with sounds and the card looks fine on the pc, and i guess thats not relevant as the 3000 just doesn't recognise any SCSI device is plugged in..but i have successfully saved sounds onto zip drive through the SCSI so that can't be broken right? (i hope!)

You need to format the card on the MPC. Are you getting error message FF48? That points to the fuse F901.
By perilousselector Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:23 pm
thanks for the replies, it's a traxdat pro series bought recently from the guy on ebay posted here recently (and others say his stuff is good) I've had no trouble with zip discs yet, have saved and loaded samples fine...when i try an boot it up it just searches for the scsi for the given time and doesn't find it..but damn i think i have seen error f48 or whatever when it stops...gotta go home and check..so that means its possible to have a blown fuse and still us the zip by the sound of it? Thanks shosta.. thought i had to format on mpceditor to loadit with samples in XP? so i can format on mpc and then transfer? gotta get it to work first...might have to ditch the card reader by the look of it and learn to live with zips! :cry:
By Shostakovich Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:06 pm
perilousselector wrote:thanks for the replies, it's a traxdat pro series bought recently from the guy on ebay posted here recently (and others say his stuff is good) I've had no trouble with zip discs yet, have saved and loaded samples fine...when i try an boot it up it just searches for the scsi for the given time and doesn't find it..but damn i think i have seen error f48 or whatever when it stops...gotta go home and check..so that means its possible to have a blown fuse and still us the zip by the sound of it? Thanks shosta.. thought i had to format on mpceditor to loadit with samples in XP? so i can format on mpc and then transfer? gotta get it to work first...might have to ditch the card reader by the look of it and learn to live with zips! :cry:

Format the card in the MPC first. Then do what you like.

You can still use the SCSI if your device is self terminating. Your Zip drive might be but the CF reader most likely will not be. It's easy to replace the fuse though and lots of threads about that, includign the recommendation to replace with self-reset type to avoid it blowing again. When I first installed my card reader, I was gettign the FF48 messages. The fuse had blown but also the ribbon cable had shorted.
By SEED78 Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:39 pm
Shostakovich wrote:Format the card in the MPC first. Then do what you like.

Starting with a successful format in the MPC is def good advice in terms of checking if its rigged up correctly - but as he says the 3.11os MPC formatted card will not be recognized in ANY computer unless formatted with MPCEditor.
By SEED78 Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:05 pm
perilousselector wrote:thanks for the replies, it's a traxdat pro series bought recently from the guy on ebay posted here recently (and others say his stuff is good) I've had no trouble with zip discs yet,

Thats because ZIP was only (or mostly) made by Iomega - its all one standard format, plus the 3000 was built to accept it.

CF readers, come in a gazillion varieties, the 3000 doesn't work with a lot of them. then you have firmware issues, and issues with brands of cards that work. the MPC 3000 is more fussy than some of the Akai rack S Series samplers.

the rare PCD-25 (and maybe PCD15/16/17) are only previously 'off the self' ones known to work. - rest of us use an Acard and other parts to make our own - there is a TON of info on this on this forum so won't repeat myself.

perilousselector wrote:it's a traxdat pro series

internal/external?

not seen anyone using this with a 3000 specifically - can you post a link to the exact model please?

what specific make of CF card are you using with it??

what are your termination settings?

perilousselector wrote:thought i had to format on mpceditor to loadit with samples in XP? so i can format on mpc and then transfer?

if 3.11os or earlier, your MPC formatted card will not work on the PC/Mac - once you know your reader works you format in MPC Editor (but you ONLY get 1 single 30meg partition instead of the 780meg of partitions the MPC can format)

perilousselector wrote:might have to ditch the card reader by the look of it and learn to live with zips! :cry:

I felt like that when I was trying to get mine working - persist. to drastically increase your odds buy stuff other people have already used and you've heard work perfectly - I've never heard of this drive.

seriously - spend an hour reading all card reader posts we've put up over past 6 months and all this will start t make more sense to you.

or go to a decent seller selling ones specifically for the 3000.
By MPCHunter Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:31 pm
Shostakovich wrote:
perilousselector wrote:thanks for the replies, it's a traxdat pro series bought recently from the guy on ebay posted here recently (and others say his stuff is good) I've had no trouble with zip discs yet, have saved and loaded samples fine...when i try an boot it up it just searches for the scsi for the given time and doesn't find it..but damn i think i have seen error f48 or whatever when it stops...gotta go home and check..so that means its possible to have a blown fuse and still us the zip by the sound of it? Thanks shosta.. thought i had to format on mpceditor to loadit with samples in XP? so i can format on mpc and then transfer? gotta get it to work first...might have to ditch the card reader by the look of it and learn to live with zips! :cry:

Format the card in the MPC first. Then do what you like.

You can still use the SCSI if your device is self terminating. Your Zip drive might be but the CF reader most likely will not be. It's easy to replace the fuse though and lots of threads about that, includign the recommendation to replace with self-reset type to avoid it blowing again. When I first installed my card reader, I was gettign the FF48 messages. The fuse had blown but also the ribbon cable had shorted.

A workaround in the event your SCSI fuse is blown is to attach both your Compact Flash reader and your Iomega Zip drive to your MPC. You can use the termination power from the Iomega Zip if it's the last device in the chain.

If you are able to use the CF reader this way, then you know the F901 fuse is blown and will have to be replaced.

Remember to only connect and disconnect SCSI devices when the MPC is turned off.
By Bewareofthewolves Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:37 am
Sorry to drag this old thread up. I have a MPC-3000 with a CF card reader that has worked in the past. I have not used the machine in a while but now when I try to format a CF card I get the error message

''No SCSI device was found. Make sure the SCSI device is connected, power is on and ''AUTO'' or the correct SCSI address is entered in the ''SCSI status screen''.

With the error code: FF48.

I am using a CF card that is known to work (SanDisk extreme iii), it is 2gb though. Has anyone got any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Thanks!
By 3K. Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:34 pm
Search the forum for SCSI fuse topics, they'll instruct you where to locate the SCSI fuse on the SCSI PCB board. Use whatever device you like to check whether it is still intact/conductive. If it isn't, replace it. I got FF48 when my SCSI fuse was blown earlier while using an external ZIP drive, but also, when my CF reader didn't accept the cards, among other error codes.