Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Stoney79 Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:25 pm
Bought a Mpc 3000 LE back in 2008-2009. Got it from a mom and pops music store when i was living in new york city. The owner of the store had it as a display model, sitting in a glass case for 8 years. This machine was in mint condition. The only problem i ever had with it, is that the pad response on them wasn't as responsive as my other models-2000/2000xl. So i don't know if it's a known issue with the mpc 3000 models, or some how the pad sensors were going bad because it's been sitting in a glass case since 2000. Some of the tact. switches were a little nonresponsive when i first got it, but i put some contact cleaner on it and it's good now. Also cleaned the pad sensors/pads, but didn't feel any difference. It's also a problem when i take full level key off. Can't get it to full velocity- compared to 2000/2000xl. Don't know anybody else with a 3000, so can't compare. Anybody had similar problems like this? Any feed back would help.
By Shinigami Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:04 pm
I was still having issues with the sensitivity of my pads after putting new sensors and pads on my MPC 3000. Picked up some pad corx from mpcstuff.com and they now hit like they should. Am sure you could fashion something like the pad corx yourself but it solved the problem for me so don't regret spending on them.
By Stoney79 Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:38 pm
First response-I'm a little confused. So at one point your 3000 was working perfectly fine. Then as time went on your sensor started to go bad- your velocity sensitivity.

Second responder- Has your 3000 always been like that? Is this a issue with all Mpc 3000s? Have you used other Mpc series, and have come up to that conclusion?

I came from a Mpc 2000 classic, and was so use to to the trigger response on that. So when my 2000 died, i thought the Mpc 3000 was the best replacement for me. So the pad response on the 3000 has always been a setback for me. I like my drum sequences to sound as natural as the way i put it down, but with this issue you lose that vibe.
By deepah84 Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:22 am
Just in case, because this pad velocity sensitivity subject seems to be a recurrent one.
Do you guys set the amount of effect that velocity has on volume? I personally find that to let it at 100% isn't necessary, and to lower it a little bit gives better result when playing with the velocity. :)
By Shinigami Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:51 pm
Stoney79 wrote:First response-I'm a little confused. So at one point your 3000 was working perfectly fine. Then as time went on your sensor started to go bad- your velocity sensitivity.

Second responder- Has your 3000 always been like that? Is this a issue with all Mpc 3000s? Have you used other Mpc series, and have come up to that conclusion?

I came from a Mpc 2000 classic, and was so use to to the trigger response on that. So when my 2000 died, i thought the Mpc 3000 was the best replacement for me. So the pad response on the 3000 has always been a setback for me. I like my drum sequences to sound as natural as the way i put it down, but with this issue you lose that vibe.

I got it second hand and it needed a fair bit of work before it was working nicely. I've used the 1000, 2000, 2500, 4000, 5000 and some of the MPD series.

Yes, my conclusion was that the pad corx helped improve the pad sensitivity of the 3000.
By Stoney79 Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:10 pm
I got it second hand and it needed a fair bit of work before it was working nicely. I've used the 1000, 2000, 2500, 4000, 5000 and some of the MPD series.

Yes, my conclusion was that the pad corx helped improve the pad sensitivity of the 3000.[/quote]

Thanks for the insight. Probably will try getting new pad sensors, and see if that helps first. Just seems odd to have to modify the 3000 with pad cork to get it to work right. I wish I knew somebody else who had a 3000, so I could feel if there is a difference between the two. However, which Mpc do you like the best, out of all the ones you used?
By Stoney79 Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:22 pm
deepah84 wrote:Just in case, because this pad velocity sensitivity subject seems to be a recurrent one.
Do you guys set the amount of effect that velocity has on volume? I personally find that to let it at 100% isn't necessary, and to lower it a little bit gives better result when playing with the velocity. :)

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that, and see how that comes out. But I would think if your changing the volume on the velocity, it's not going to correct any issue you might have with the pad response. The amount of pressure you put down on the pads, there should be a equal amount of velocity that it effects. So lowering the volume, will only lower the volume. So now my medium hit to the pad will give me a lower sound, and vice, verse. But i'll check that out. thanks again.
By Stoney79 Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:10 pm
ntalec wrote:Something else is going on here if your 3k have pad response that is not as good as a 2k.

Okay. So your 3000 responds like a 2000. That gives me some hope. I would think that they all would have the same response. So maybe I just need to change the pad sensor. I just can't see how a brand new Mpc 3000 could have sensor pads going bad. i guess sitting in a glass case for 8 years, and collecting some dust could cause the pad sensors to go bad. Thanks for the insight.
By ntalec Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:29 am
Stoney79 wrote:
ntalec wrote:Something else is going on here if your 3k have pad response that is not as good as a 2k.

Okay. So your 3000 responds like a 2000. That gives me some hope. I would think that they all would have the same response. So maybe I just need to change the pad sensor. I just can't see how a brand new Mpc 3000 could have sensor pads going bad. i guess sitting in a glass case for 8 years, and collecting some dust could cause the pad sensors to go bad. Thanks for the insight.

I wouldn't assume the condition of the unit.
No telling what it saw prior to going in the case, if it was taken out from time to time or they are just telling a story to make it seem like a good deal.