Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By rizumu Fri May 25, 2012 11:14 am
Hi,
I've recently picked up a MPC 3000 with Vailixi and want to get a hot-swappable internal card reader that will work with it. Alot of posts about the card reader compatibility mix up 3.1x and Vailixi so its hard to tell what works with what. Also many threads on this topic reference sellers that no longer have stock or drives that are hard to find.

From what I read here, the PCD-47b with 3.2 firmware will work in a 3000 with Vailixi:
http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=113834

However the last post in this thread shows some doubt:
http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=141352

I found a PCD-47B for sale with the 3.2 firmware that I'd like to get:
http://a4000t.com/store/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=241

I have a few Vailixi 3.5 specific questions:

1. Is the PCD-47b compatiable with Vailixi? How is the performance of it compared to other drives, the PCD-25 for example?

2. Will it be hot swappable? If not, what drives support hot swapping?

3. If I buy it from the above seller, what other (if any) parts would I need to install it? Get a acard or other boards? SCSI cable extension?

4. I assume since it the drive has the 3.2 firmware, I won't need to go through the complex series of steps to flash a new one. As discussed here:

5. Would I have to do any hacking on the mpc, such as flipping around the external scsi port, or drilling holes in the drive enclouse?

6. Last, if anyone has a suggestion for a different drive that will do internal hot-swap flash on Vailixi that'd be great. I haven't settled on the 47b, but since it is the only internal reader I've found for sale at the moment its the one I'm looking towards trying out. PCB-25 would do the trick, but they are ultra rare.

** also looking to buy the VGA card asap, any ideas other than waiting for one turn up on ebay?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
By moral97 Sat May 26, 2012 9:27 am
Hi,

You might want to read this:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=83533

Rohan talks about a special configuration or tweaking that will make the PCD-47b work in an mpc 3000 with vallixi OS.

I'm thinking of buying one of these too...
By dreadnutz Mon May 28, 2012 4:31 pm
i had about 50 PCD-47b card reader units in the past (for selling them on ebay and for my sampler arsenal), all with the latest OS...

and none of these worked in the 3k with rohan OS.

so don`t waste your time (and money)!

i also wondered about the thread above, but turned out that rohan seems the only one with a working PCD47 in a 3k :shock:

after a lot of trial and error i am 100% sure that the PCD47 are NOT working with a MPC 3k. even SCSI4SAMPLERS guy confirmed my "suspicion".

They work in: 2kxl, S2000, Yamaha Samplers, S5000-S6000. (they are installed in all of these)
By moral97 Mon May 28, 2012 5:10 pm
Having tried so many, I´m sure you know what you're talking about!

Do you happen to know if they will work internally in a S 3000XL?
Thanks
By Bewareofthewolves Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:28 pm
I asked this question over at Gearslutz on a thread about card readers for the 3k, but have had no response as yet. I wonder if anyone on here could help me.

''Sorry to drag an old-ish thread up again but I need advice on a card reader. Is it worth getting an internal card reader for my MPC-3000 purely for storage purposes? I want to be able to save all of my samples and sequences into 1 source. I can't ever see myself transferring samples from my Mac, so that wouldn't be an issue - I tend to sample strictly from vinyl, straight into the 3000.

I know people might mention an external zip drive, but I really don't wanna go down that route. My OS is the 3.11 version BTW

Thanks for any help !''

Here is a link to that particular thread, it might prove helpful to some: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip- ... eader.html
By APH Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:57 pm
No worries. I think it was me that got it back up.

I would def go for a cardreader. Internal or external, that's up to you really.
Unfortunately I can't help you. I don't have up to date information on cardreaders that work on 3.11. I got mine back in 2008.
It's a Microtech PCD-25 and I believe It's very hard to find these days.

There is however a lot of information about newer and cheaper cardreaders available on this forum.
By Bewareofthewolves Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:19 pm
APH wrote:No worries. I think it was me that got it back up.

I would def go for a cardreader. Internal or external, that's up to you really.
Unfortunately I can't help you. I don't have up to date information on cardreaders that work on 3.11. I got mine back in 2008.
It's a Microtech PCD-25 and I believe It's very hard to find these days.

There is however a lot of information about newer and cheaper cardreaders available on this forum.

Thanks for the reply! So if I got a card reader installed, I could save all my beats, sequences and individual drum samples onto the 1 card. Thanks.
By APH Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:01 pm
Yes, that.

780 Meg is the largest usable amout of storage space the MPC3000 can use. You can use larger cards. I know people that use 1Gb cards (myself included) but only 780 is formatted and accessible. The rest would be wasted space.

1GB cards are old and cheap. I am sure someone you know probably still has a few lying around.

The mpc can create partition's depending on the size of the card which is kind of like having folders.

Hope this help's.
Last edited by APH on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SEED78 Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:13 pm
I've not had much luck getting the 47b workign with the 3000 - its also one of the more usgly card readers :-D

but if you can get it working who cares - all about CF 8)