Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By SEED78 Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:54 pm
just as a final comment on the Madlib thing.

interesting how people focus on the 303 were where as lootpack stuff and 'the unseen' I think were both possible SP1200/s1000 combos. he also has several of the roland groove boxs not just the 303, he has the and the 4000, plus a korg electribe (as did Dilla) - all sorts! tascam portasound, all sorts of random gear in pics of his studios.
By Clint Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:16 pm
Yes, some people assume these producers used one or two samplers exclusively. Truth is, they probably used anything they laid their hands on at some stage, but certain samplers were their main 'go to' pieces at various points in their careers. Much like most of us really...
By paused Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:36 pm
i had to quit reading when he confused sample storage to active samples in memory, an mpc 4000 does not have 500gigabytes of ram... smh

and there is way to many assumptions going on here

sounds like a fan boy putting his wet dream on paper

and for the 303 people need to check the back of the madvillain instrumental lp, it states that only 2 beats where made on the 303.

people are need to learn about "red herrings"

/nohate
By acid kalle Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:17 pm
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JR-R2aQCxk[/youtube]

here hes stating that he uses the 303 on some beats. but i know that maldlib uses every gear that he can grab. think on the jaylib or madvillian record theres is a pic with im and the with the sp1200
By The Attic Bat Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:30 pm
Hi everybody,

Sorry I'm extremely late to the party here, but I just now came across this thread. I really appreciate all of the positive comments about the thesis, as well as the critiques that could help make it better.

A little background: I grew up making beats for hip-hop artists in the Boston area when I was younger, and this thesis was my first attempt to introduce what I perceived to be certain core techniques across different styles of "instrumental" or "experimental" hip-hop to a specifically academic audience. Unfortunately, in the balancing act of making it as accessible as possible, but also theoretically and conceptually engaging, there is definitely a lot that I had to leave out. Specifically, I would have loved to incorporate more ethnographic research (i.e. interviews with producers, etc.), but I basically wrote this after a single year of research. Regarding the OS that I took screenshots from, that was an MPC 1000 with JJ OS 2XL installed. Since I didn't have multiple MPCs at the time, I couldn't grab screenshots from each specific model.

I'm now in a PhD program at UCLA, where I'm dealing more broadly with interface design in digital audio production, but I'm always thinking of how to turn the MPC research into a bigger project. I'll definitely reach out to this forum if I end up expanding it in any way!

Thanks again,
Mike D'Errico
http://www.derricomusic.com
By SimonInAustralia Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:44 pm
I found it interesting that he only cleared about 10 samples for Endtroducing...

So the first cleared sample was not until Endtroducing.... There’s a Bjork sample on there that I thought should be cleared. There’s a Jeremy Storch record that I thought should be cleared - things that I based an entire song on, just because I knew it’d be recognizable to whoever did it. But there’s probably 1,000 samples on Endtroducing.... and I think we cleared 10 or so.
By Ottomatic Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:38 pm
I found it interesting that he only cleared about 10 samples for Endtroducing...

I find that interesting too. I often wonder how big of a risk he took in releasing that album considering how many uncleared samples were on it. I used to be completely obsessed with Entroducing..., mostly the structure of it and the lo-fi 12 bit sound on it. I still listen to it every once in a while and never seem to tire of it no matter how many times I play it. I think that album was probably one of the main reasons I decided to purchase an MPC60.
By Funkydrops Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:53 am
acid kalle wrote:
SEED78 wrote:
SP303 is the most overhyped sampler ever.

TOTALLY agree with that... only people who have plenty of time use this machine....

mmm... no. Basically it's one of the fastest machine one could use to build up a finalized beat from scratch. But of course you're entitled to your opinion, even when it's against facts.

PEACE

PS
I stumbled across this same thesis some month ago, interesting read.
By Clint Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:10 pm
The Attic Bat wrote:I'm always thinking of how to turn the MPC research into a bigger project. I'll definitely reach out to this forum if I end up expanding it in any way!

Mike I came across your thesis (and started this thread) when I began research for a similar project...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=160069

If you'd like to get involved somehow, or share your thoughts on my project, it's not too late. Post in that thread or contact me via email [email protected]. Otherwise, I'll be in touch with you at some point. Don't know if you're still an MPC'ist, but welcome to the knowledgebase for MPC related information.

Great Thesis mate, well done.

Is there a place to download it, without signing up to that site? I would like to print it out so that I can read it properly.