Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By boomspot Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:56 am
Hello Everyone!

Thought I'd update this thread as I just added the ASQ10 to the setup. Can't wait to spend more time on it! :)

D
By boomspot Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:48 am
Clint wrote:Yeah that one looks nice. There's a grubby ASQ10 on eBay.com that nobody seems to want...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Akai-ASQ-10-P ... 48615bf891

Been listed a few times.

Hello Clint,

Yeah, the unit I received is very clean, doesn't have a scratch on it with a very bright screen. The only sign of aging is the slightly yellowing transport buttons. The dial knob and buttons are crisp. It sort of smells like an old book from the library. ;)

I guess I should open her up to see what is going on inside?

D
By boomspot Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:55 am
Been using the ASQ since I first posted and can say it's a pure pleasure to use. Workflow is butter, time to sell the Ren ;)

D
By boomspot Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:43 am
Update: turned on the ASQ today and it's booting to a flashing cursor. Anyone know what could be causing this? I thought it might be the drive so I disconnected the floppy drive and it didn't make a difference.

Any ideas before I send this thing out to VST for repair?

Thanks!

D
By master-ceo Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:24 am
I would check the rom chips to make sure they are in snug and reseat if necessary. Check all connections to make sure nothing came loose inside.
By boomspot Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:47 pm
master-ceo wrote:I would check the rom chips to make sure they are in snug and reseat if necessary. Check all connections to make sure nothing came loose inside.

Yeah, I reseated the rom chips and it didn't make a difference. Nothing appears to be loose on the inside. The strange thing is it will boot without issue now and then and then all of a sudden give me the flashing cursor the next time I turn it on. I wonder if ordering replacement roms would be worth a shot vs sending it in for repair. I guess it would be worth having it checked over by a pro, but I would prefer not to drop a ton of $ on it, obviously.

Thanks,

D
By Clint Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:23 pm
I've come across EPROMs that don't work in MPC60's. Spoke to Roger about it, his advice was to test them in another machine and replace them if faulty. Better still, he said, don't sink more money into ageing technology, there are better products out there.

Make of that what you wish...

EPROMs can suffer from rot associated with the environmental conditions. A lot of ASQ and MPC have been stored in less than ideal condition, therefore exposed to damp, humidity, dust, heat and so on.
By THE ADVERSARY Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:07 pm
Clint wrote:Better still, he said, don't sink more money into ageing technology, there are better products out there.

You have to remember he didn't say stuff like that until it stop putting money in his pocket. :lol:
I think the component failure point is what he was referring to, or maybe that no MPC magic he talks about?

boomspot wrote:I wonder if ordering replacement roms would be worth a shot vs sending it in for repair. I guess it would be worth having it checked over by a pro, but I would prefer not to drop a ton of $ on it, obviously.

Didn't you have a 60, did you get rid of it?
The problem you face is how much of a real investment is reasonable on the ASQ.

It's getting to the point where the age is gonna continue to make things fail and at some point it could turn into something unrepairable.
I happens as gear gets older, I guess that's why many of us who still use ASRs have 3 or more of them. :Sigh:

Maybe contact Forat to see what he thinks about the overall aspect of repair and reliability of a ASQ in 2014.
That could at least give you some point of view on investment.
By boomspot Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:32 am
THE ADVERSARY wrote:
Didn't you have a 60, did you get rid of it?
The problem you face is how much of a real investment is reasonable on the ASQ.

It's getting to the point where the age is gonna continue to make things fail and at some point it could turn into something unrepairable.
I happens as gear gets older, I guess that's why many of us who still use ASRs have 3 or more of them. :Sigh:

Maybe contact Forat to see what he thinks about the overall aspect of repair and reliability of a ASQ in 2014.
That could at least give you some point of view on investment.

Yeah, had a 60 but sold it a few years ago. I just grabbed some ASQ-10 upgrade eproms for a decent price on Ebay with a return policy. At least this way way I'll be able to tell if the issue is the chips or something else. Would cost me the same to ship this thing to Los Angeles, more including inspection.

Wish me luck!

D
By boomspot Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:15 am
Update: I added the 2.13 upgrade ROMS from VST & it appears to have fixed my issue. Haven't had any boot issues since swapping out the chips. Glad it was a fairly cheap fix. :)

D
By trainspotter Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:58 am
has anyone replaced the lcd with any readily available akai product succsefully?
i have a broken lcd ( not burnt out backlight but actually cracked lcd )

if so are the pinouts the same or a modification necessary as the original sharp seems only to be used in the asq10..

any help would be super appreciated.