Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Clint Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:19 am
Anything you want to share or ask about the ASQ-10 sequencer from Akai/ Roger Linn. Tips, tricks, pics, videos, sightings, parts, mods, upgrades, auctions, links, stories, thoughts, questions, answers...
By v00d00ppl Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:55 am
fobedafied wrote:the metronome click is on some pimp schit.

that is all. :smoker:

How different sounding is it from the 60 metronome? My two favorite metronomes are from the 2000XL and Arturia Spark. Some reason the ensoniq eps clicks get me to drum too agressive
By SimonInAustralia Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:11 am
The MPC-SCSI option board seems to work in the ASQ10, as well as the MPC60/60II...

Only problem is, due to having a different case and PCB layout, there isn't much room to fit the MPC-SCSI PCB inside the ASQ10 case.

I am in the process of having some re-laid-out/smaller MPC-SCSI PCBs made up.
By fobedafied Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:29 am
v00d00ppl wrote:
fobedafied wrote:the metronome click is on some pimp schit.

that is all. :smoker:

How different sounding is it from the 60 metronome? My two favorite metronomes are from the 2000XL and Arturia Spark. Some reason the ensoniq eps clicks get me to drum too agressive

i just said that because the ASQ has no audio outputs and its metronome comes out of a little speaker under the front panel... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pretty pimp i must say. :nod: :smoker:

EDIT: just looked at the back panel and noticed a motronome out... :oops: i never used it though, the audible metronome was good enough for me at the time...
By *Pilchard* Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:08 pm
Never saw any point in upgrading to SCSI on my ASQ10.
MIDI data takes up so little room on a floppy.

My ASQ10 still has v 2.xx operating system.
Is there any point in upgrading it to v 3.xx ?
On a machine that has no pads and no sampling, does it get you any necessary features?

:?: :?:

As you have the SCSI fitted Simon, you must have the os upgrade.
By Clint Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:39 pm
*Pilchard* wrote:My ASQ10 still has v 2.xx operating system.
Is there any point in upgrading it to v 3.xx ?
On a machine that has no pads and no sampling, does it get you any necessary features?

MIDI File Save and Load

Load standard PC-format MIDI file disks or save sequences as MIDI files. Move sequences between your MPC and PC or Mac sequencers. Note: this requires that you download our Midi File Save utility, save it to an MPC60 floppy then boot your MPC60 from it.

Hard Disk Save and Load

If you own the Marion Systems MPC-SCSI Hard Disk Interface for the MPC60, hard disk save and load operations are now included and work with the Iomega Zip 100mB or 250 mB drives.

Step from Note to Note in Step Edit

In Step Edit, the REWIND [<] and FAST FORWARD [>] keys may now be used to search to the previous or next event within a track, regardless of location. Also, you may now cut and paste events.

Streamlined MPC3000 Displays

Screen displays are improved and more intuitive, nearly identical to the MPC3000. For example, 4 letter pad names are replaced in screens by the full sound name.

New Sequence Edit Features

Most sequence editing functions now permit selection of specific drums to be edited. The new Shift Timing feature shifts track timing independent of timing correction. And the new Edit Note Number Assignment feature permits, for example, all snare notes in a track to be changed to rimshots or any other sound.

http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/mpc60-software.html

This is what I found on the RLD website, someone with 3.10 will need to confirm.

From the 3.10 manual (Page 228)

Version 3.1 software may be installed in the Akai ASQ10 MIDI Sequencer, substantially enhancing its sequencing capabilities to that of an updated MPC60. This is because the ASQ10 is internally identical to the MPC60’s sequencer section, lacking the MPC60’s sound generation, sampling and drum pad functions. However, version 3.1 software is optimized for the MPC60 and will therefore present the following inconveniences to the ASQ10 user:

• The ASQ10’s TEMPO button will have the function of the MPC60’s TEMPO/SYNC button.

• The ASQ10’s SYNC button will have the function of the MPC60’s DRUM MIXER button, which is useless on the ASQ10.

• The ASQ10’s DRUMS button will have the function of the MPC60’s SOUNDS button, which is useless on the ASQ10.

• Various screens will present parameters related to sound generation, sound or program disk files, or use of drum pads, all of which are useless on the ASQ10.

Despite these inconveniences, version 3.1 software will add the same new sequencing capabilities to the ASQ10 as to the MPC60, significantly enhancing the usefulness and value of the ASQ10.
By Clint Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:56 pm
*Pilchard* wrote:Thanks Clint
The step sequence Looks better with v 3,10
Not sure I will upgrade though.

Don't blame you really, more of a luxury than a necessity. The ability to save/ load MIDI files could be essential for a lot of people. I happen to have a 'spare' MPC60 here with the 3.10 upgrade (and memory expansion) installed. Keeping my options open for now, but feel the 3.1 OS adds a lot more value to the MPC60 than it does to the ASQ10.

Considering the ASQ10 total sequence memory is fixed at 512Kb RAM a single 720Kb floppy is enough to store the full capacity of 60 000 notes. Having SCSI installed may be considered overkill; a floppy emulator (USB or HxC) is cheaper if you simply want to avoid using floppies.
By *Pilchard* Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:29 pm
Yeah, HXC seems a better option in a way, than SCSI for the ASQ
I already put SCSI in my 60 so I don't need it there. but I'd like to try the emulator out.
By SimonInAustralia Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:40 pm
I am doing it for compatibility reasons, so that it is using the same CF storage format, and same latest OS with the most advance features, as my other MPCs.

Using a floppy emulator or older OS isn't an option I am interested in for my own setup, I can understand why others couldn't justify the expense of the MPC-SCSI board and OS update.

I would rather spend the coin and have everything running exactly the same.
By *Pilchard* Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:55 pm
It's good you are trying it out Simon. I always assumed there would be plenty room for the SCSI board in there.
I guess having it all the same means you can save on the ASQ and then open the same file on the 60.
Good idea.
By master-ceo Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:22 pm
I love this pic! I always wanted to make a hybrid ASRX/MPC all in one box. :smoker:

By Clint Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:14 pm

Casing open

Main PCB's

OS EPROM'S

Floppy drive/ Screen backlight connector

Built-in metronome speaker

MIDI I/O, fuse block, RS232C, dusty components

Power supply, screen invertor

Screen
By master-ceo Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:40 am
^^Loving those internal shots. I admit I slept on this gem.

Heres one dressed in black.