Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Clint Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:56 pm
I'd be interested to know some people are integrating the ASQ-10 into their setups midiwise, especially where there is already an MPC being used? What are you using for midi input? Keyboards, pad controllers, MPCs, other????
By Plexicube Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:33 pm
I've been using the ASQ-10 as my main sequencer for a bit now. Output 1 goes to a S-950, output 2 to a Casio FZ-1, output 3 to a Novation Bass Station and output 4 (with MIDI clock) goes to a Kawai 4/8 MIDI router (MAV-8) which in turn sends out to a Korg DSS-1, an ASR-10, an ASR-X, a Korg MS2000, an Emax, a Sherman Filterbank and one out to the ASQ. I leave one output free on the front of the router for sending clock to anyone who comes over to jam, or for inserting random drum machines (RZ-1, etc). The other inputs on the MAV-8 come from the DSS, the FZ and the MS2000. The ASR-10 MIDI out goes directly into the ASQ's MIDI input 1.

I actually don't often find myself saving sequences. Workflow is usually freeform jamming directly to a multitrack recorder (currently an Audiofire 12 going into Logic) with some HW FX thrown into the mix. After a couple hours of that, I'll go back and isolate pieces I thought were interesting to be resampled into the ASR-10. That cycle continues until I have a soundset of 8 tracks I can play/trigger live which gets dumped into the ASR-10 for live performance. Live, I use the ASR and either the Emax or the FZ-1. They do not get MIDI'd together, as the ASR handles anything that needs to be looped and then I play on top of that with the other sampler (sometimes doing the old 'jam a floppy between the keys' for a sustained loop.) That goes through an Alesis Wedge and then into a Line 6 DL-4 looper.

In the studio, the S-950 has been handling all hard edged percussion sampling and loops that benefit from its sweet low pass filter. The FZ usually gets used to create more abstract sounds as I generally use it to transpose sounds over a wide range and them extract small loops from them. The FZ, as well as the Emax, also gets used to create multisampled drones from sustained dusty old organ or orchestral sounds.

The ASR-10 and the Emax are used to sample analog stuff. I use a Moog Rogue and a little modular cobbled together from some Moogerfoogers and the sherman to generate tones to make instruments from on the samplers. I will sample individual percussion sounds on the ASR, and anything that benefits from bitcrushing on the Emax. The ASR-X gets used almost exclusively as a way for me to quickly sample and integrate looped guitar/bass, and sometimes as an aux FX processor.

Whew, that may be more info than anyone ever wanted. :)

As an aside, I'm currently trying to decide if I would at all benefit from upgrading my ASQ to OS 3.10. As the standardization of the MIDI file format doesn't affect me much, what is actually gained? It's a no brainer upgrade on the MPC60, but does it make navigating the ASQ trickier and potentially not worth the upgrade?
By Clint Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:10 pm
Plexicube wrote:I've been using the ASQ-10 as my main sequencer for a bit now. ..I'm currently trying to decide if I would at all benefit from upgrading my ASQ to OS 3.10. As the standardization of the MIDI file format doesn't affect me much, what is actually gained?

I dont have 3.10 on my ASQ10, but there are benefits to be gained from using the upgrade, just as there are on the MPC60. Just not the sampling features.

MIDI File Save and Load

Load standard PC-format MIDI file disks or save sequences as MIDI files. Move sequences between your MPC and PC or Mac sequencers.

Note: this requires that you download our Midi File Save utility, save it to an MPC60 floppy then boot your MPC60 from it.

Hard Disk Save and Load

If you own the Marion Systems MPC-SCSI Hard Disk Interface for the MPC60, hard disk save and load operations are now included and work with the Iomega Zip 100mB or 250 mB drives.

Step from Note to Note in Step Edit

In Step Edit, the REWIND [<] and FAST FORWARD [>] keys may now be used to search to the previous or next event within a track, regardless of location. Also, you may now cut and paste events.

Streamlined MPC3000 Displays

Screen displays are improved and more intuitive, nearly identical to the MPC3000. For example, 4 letter pad names are replaced in screens by the full sound name.

New Sequence Edit Features

Most sequence editing functions now permit selection of specific drums to be edited. The new Shift Timing feature shifts track timing independent of timing correction. And the new Edit Note Number Assignment feature permits, for example, all snare notes in a track to be changed to rimshots or any other sound.

from the 3.10 Manual, page 228.

Version 3.1 software may be installed in the Akai ASQ10 MIDI Sequencer, substantially enhancing its sequencing capabilities to that of an updated MPC60. This is because the ASQ10 is internally identical to the MPC60’s sequencer section, lacking the MPC60’s sound generation, sampling and drum pad functions.

However, version 3.1 software is optimized for the MPC60 and will therefore present the following inconveniences to the ASQ10 user:

• The ASQ10’s TEMPO button will have the function of the MPC60’s TEMPO/SYNC button.
• The ASQ10’s SYNC button will have the function of the MPC60’s DRUM MIXER button, which is useless on the ASQ10.
• The ASQ10’s DRUMS button will have the function of the MPC60’s SOUNDS button, which is useless on the ASQ10.
• Various screens will present parameters related to sound generation, sound or program disk files, or use of drum pads, all of which are useless on the ASQ10.

Despite these inconveniences, version 3.1 software will add the same new sequencing capabilities to the ASQ10 as to the MPC60, significantly enhancing the usefulness and value of the ASQ10.

To me, it appears that the main benefit to ASQ10 owners is better sequence editing features, and the ability to load/save MIDI files which is always going to be useful when your other gear uses MIDI files. Others may see it differently...

What OS is your ASQ10 currently running?

And what happened to your modified MPC60II, did it have 3.10?

Plexicube wrote:Image
By Plexicube Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:03 am
My old MPC60II did indeed have the 3.10 upgrade, but at the time I was more interested in the additions to the sampling part of the MPC that I kind of glossed over the sequencer stuff. I ended up trading the MPC to a forum member (who has since sold it himself) for a fully upgraded S950 (mentioned above). I wonder who has that machine now...

I put a VFD and a HxC floppy emulator in the S950. Old habits and all. :)
By mcroepster Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:10 pm
Someone here in the Netherlands has a Akai Asq 10 for sale.
He is asking 250 euro for it.... :hmmm:
Should I go for it.?

peace :smoker:
By Acid Mitch Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:51 am
mcroepster wrote:Someone here in the Netherlands has a Akai Asq 10 for sale.
He is asking 250 euro for it.... :hmmm:
Should I go for it.?

Yes
By rvooh Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:17 am
SimonInAustralia wrote:Pretty close to the MPC60, without the sampler functions, so you could use that manual.

Well the reason I'm asking is because of something I read in this topic:

I'll quote here:
Clint wrote: A dedicated ASQ10 thread with specific info would have been helpful, there is more to it than just being 'the sequencer section of the MPC60' or 'the best hardware sequencer ever'. But you wont find out until you get one and read the manual. Reading the manual I've found out some stuff which I have never seen stated anywhere.

Not sure how many ASQ10 owners are here, but she deserves a thread of her own.

Clint wrote:More stuff I didn't know as an MPC60 owner. I suppose its nothing new to someone with 3 ASQ10's. Just stuff that's not well documented outside the manual
By SimonInAustralia Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:31 pm
I have a printed copy of it, not original.

It is 178 pages though, so can't see that I will be scanning it for a PDF anytime soon, at least without an automated way to scan it.
By rvooh Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:06 pm
hm. If its not binded in any way, it's easy to scan with an office scanner/copier with automatic feed. If you ever happen to come across one :)
By mogazi Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:11 am
Hey all,
I have an ASQ and I love it! Been using it as my main sequencer (don't do computers anymore...) along with an MPC2000XL which I mostly just use for live purposes as a way to copy sequences from the ASQ (I would NEVER dare to bring my ASQ to a gig)

I had one question for Clint or anyone with the latest ASQ-specific memory upgrade (2.13 not the MPC 60 one). Does that version of the software allow the "search event" option in step edit mode?
That is about the only thing I think this sequencer is lacking and it's pretty essential if you record with the quantize off.

Thanks and keep good care of your ASQs! :-D
By SimonInAustralia Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:22 am
mogazi wrote:I had one question for Clint or anyone with the latest ASQ-specific memory upgrade (2.13 not the MPC 60 one). Does that version of the software allow the "search event" option in step edit mode?
That is about the only thing I think this sequencer is lacking and it's pretty essential if you record with the quantize off.

I don't think so.

I believe it is one of the features that were new to version 3...

http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/mpc60-software.html

Cut and Paste Sample Editing
Any portion of a sound may be removed and inserted at any point within another sound with single sample accuracy.

Hard Disk Save and Load
If you own the Marion Systems MPC-SCSI Hard Disk Interface for the MPC60, hard disk save and load operations are now included and work with the Iomega Zip 100mB or 250 mB drives.

Step from Note to Note in Step Edit
In Step Edit, the REWIND [<] and FAST FORWARD [>] keys may now be used to search to the previous or next event within a track, regardless of location.
Also, you may now cut and paste events.

Streamlined MPC3000 Displays
Screen displays are improved and more intuitive, nearly identical to the MPC3000. For example, 4 letter pad names are replaced in screens by the full sound name.

New Sequence Edit Features
Most sequence editing functions now permit selection of specific drums to be edited. The new Shift Timing feature shifts track timing independent of timing correction. And the new Edit Note Number Assignment feature permits, for example, all snare notes in a track to be changed to rimshots or any other sound.

New Sound and Sequence Files in 3.10 Format
We've created a few sound and sequence files in the new version 3.10 format that you can download here.

Also Works on ASQ10 Sequencer
Version 3.10 can also be installed in the Akai ASQ10 Sequencer, adding the above features related to sequencing. (Details)

And More
Three-level sound stacking or velocity switch per pad. Simplified interfacing with external MIDI gear. MIDI Local Mode. Automatic "best sound start" removes dead space at start of new drum samples. 16 LEVELS provides 16 attack or decay levels.
By mogazi Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:49 am
You might have just saved me a lot of $ in Eprom upgrades! ;) I guess I'll have to do without the "event search" then.
Are there any other particular advantages of version 2.13 over 2.03?

Not too keen on using the MPC60 3.10 upgrade as I want all my buttons to do what it says on them rather than different functions.

P.S. Glad to see there's members from down-under; I'll be moving to Melbourne next year :-D
By SimonInAustralia Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:30 pm
Not sure about the differences between version 2 OS releases, have not seen any update release notes that apply to them.

Will have to have a look in my ASQ10 Service Manual to see if any of the Service Bulletins, that I have, mention changes with OS version updates.