Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By MisterWhite Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:12 pm
Hi Bernard, thank you for the kind words :)

The K2000 is a beautiful machine, it has to be the deepest sampler/synthesizer ever. That's a great choice for a first synth. I haven't owned mine for as long as you, I still have a lot to learn, but it's easier now that I can read the display. I sent you a private message with the information you asked about.

Speak soon,

Matt
By junger Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:42 pm
Hello,
I got my hands on a s950 converter this week. I'll try to do this mod. Is it possible to get the pictures again ?

Thanks a lot in advance !

Best,
Nikolas

RootsRenegade wrote:AKAI S1100 INVERTER MOD: SUCCESS

My S1100 inverter was very loud (hight pitch buzzing noise) so here's what i did to solve the problem. Perhaps it could help or inspire someone else so i took pictures during the whole project. As safety precautions, don't forget to unplug the machine BEFORE you work in/on it.

1) Troubleshoot: I made sure there was no noise coming out of the audio (this would indicate a problem coming from the capacitor on the inverter circuit). Tested with headphones, zero noise.

2) I bought from MisterWhite: a brand new backlight for my S1100 (can sometimes help with the inverter noise but in my case, it didn't) and i also bought a brand new display for my S950. With those displays, you don't need the inverter anymore so once installed, i was left with a spare S950 inverter (wich was 110% quiet).

3) Here's the S1100 inverter on its circuit board:

Here's the S950 inverter on its circuit board:

4) Here's what you'll need to make this mod a success:

a) Soldering station/iron
b) S950 inverter
c) S1100 circuit board
d) 3 x 3'' wires (i used solid core)
e) Heatshrink material
f) Solder
g) Desoldering pump
e) Love and respect for old samplers

5) I started by soldering the 3 wires to the 3 feets of the S950 inverter.

6) I then heated the heatshink material in place.

7) Then i soldered the other end of the 3 wires to the S1100 circuit board.

8 ) To help me out, MisterWhite provided me with this nice drawing:

9) Now all that was left to do was to put the circuit board + inverter back into my S1100 using sticky velcro (so it can be removed if needed). I added electrical tape on the inverter connectors for extra safety.

10) Close the chassis, put the screws back on, plug the sampler and your all done, success ! Zero noise.

Special thanks to you Matt for your top quality products and your top-notch after market service.
By Roots Renegade Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:44 pm
Hi, my pictures were removed when I closed the blogger account where they were originally posted on. I still have all the pictures and will upload them on my own server as soon as possible.