Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By SDC Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:15 am
Hey Matt, got the backlight and sent you an email ;)
By SDC Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:06 pm
Just to let you guys know that the pad sensor replacement fix my 60 issue (4 of them doesn't work)

I am now sampling some drum hits and save them to floppy's, and i was wondering if there's any trick to save a full bank/program of 16 drums hits in one 720k floppy..?

Compress the sounds is one option, but being able to tune down the sounds is essential for me.
By Clint Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:50 pm
SDC wrote:I am now sampling some drum hits and save them to floppy's, and i was wondering if there's any trick to save a full bank/program of 16 drums hits in one 720k floppy..?

The full expanded memory (1.5mb) of the MPC60 will not fit onto a single floppy disc. You can save this onto two floppies, which is a pain. This is one reason why there is a SCSI interface. The memory of a stock (750kb) MPC60 should fit onto a single floppy disc. Buy a stash of 720k floppies, and format them in advance.
By SDC Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:48 pm
^^ Cheers

Ok, only 2 issues remaining, i'm getting there... :Sigh:

- My Mpc doesn't respond to velocity at all. Sounds always at the same level. (yes, full level is off)

- Hi-Hat decay slider doesn't work

Maybe both of these issues are related?
By e9000k Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:38 am
SDC: did the new backlight reduce the noise?

just a note on the side: I managed to source a LCD with LED backlight for my s950, i was able to remove the Inverter all together. Its noise free now
By SDC Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:55 pm
e9000k wrote:SDC: did the new backlight reduce the noise?

just a note on the side: I managed to source a LCD with LED backlight for my s950, i was able to remove the Inverter all together. Its noise free now

Yes, the backlight reduce the noise, but it still here..

Which LCD did you use? Will it work on 60?
By e9000k Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:01 pm
Its a 2 line LED backlit LCD, won't work on MPC60.... i wish there was a mod for 3000 with a quiet OLED/LED display. Google it there are some threads about the LED LCD for s950, got it off ebay..
By SDC Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:52 pm
SDC wrote:

Ok, only 2 issues remaining, i'm getting there... :Sigh:

- My Mpc doesn't respond to velocity at all. Sounds always at the same level. (yes, full level is off)

- Hi-Hat decay slider doesn't work

Maybe both of these issues are related?

Any help on this bit?
By jimmie Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:21 pm
What's the consensus on the best solution to an extremely noisy inverter in an MPC 3000?
The noise gets really loud after about 30-40 mins use.

1. Buy an S3000, S3000XL, S1000 as a donor machine in the hope that its inverter is any less noisy?
2. Hack out the resin (!) somehow of my MPC 3000 inverter and then clamp the transformer ring with tape/glue, etc?
3. Use rubber, cork, damping agent between the plastic inverter box and the PCB?
4. Find a new inverter for sale that is a quality part that does not bleed into the audio signal and doesn't stress the rest of the MPC with power concerns.

Yes, it's the inverter that is the problem and nothing else. I have a new EL-Foil and it isn't what is buzzing. It also buzzed with the old foil.
When I press on the top of the inverter box the humming/buzzing goes away.

Mucho cheers y'all.
Peas.
By soundtech Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:55 pm
jimmie wrote:
Yes, it's the inverter that is the problem and nothing else. I have a new EL-Foil and it isn't what is buzzing. It also buzzed with the old foil.
When I press on the top of the inverter box the humming/buzzing goes away.

Mucho cheers y'all.
Peas.

I had that problem on a 60 inverter where i changed it with an s1000 inverter. It works nicely. Someone told the s1000 inverter outputs slightly lower power than the one in the 60 but i can personally atest it works great.

I have a buzzy inverter in my mpc 3000 but it doesnt leak in the audio so thats's fine with me.

Before i changed the one in the 60 which leaked into samples, i did research on here and read about opening the inverter up and taping something inside it which was buzzing with electrical tape. So that is a solution as well

Thanks all for posting and helping
By MisterWhite Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:18 pm
If you have a really noisy MPC3000 inverter you can salvage the inverter from an S3000XL or similar but.... as it is the same part, you stand a good chance that the salvaged part is going to be as noisy as the original. Avoid the S1000 for a spare inverter unless you know it has the Nichia NI05-05-5 part present - some S1000s use the old MPC60-type inverter with the metal cube-shaped surround which can be even noisier.

The best replacement part I have ever found is the 'SMART FORCE' range of inverters by Endicott Research Group (ERG). They come in diferrent sizes and voltages. A backlight inverter works by switching between positive and negative voltages about 400 times per second, then stepping up that voltage to something like 100-200 volts. The noise is caused by this switching process. In a Smart Force inverter, this switching process is smoothed. This prevents almost all of the noise. Another benefit of this type of inverter is that the backlight stays brighter for longer.

Unfortunately the 3 'legs' of the Endicott inverters do not match the legs of the Ni05-05-5 inverter in the MPC3000, so you do need to do a bit of soldering to fit it into an MPC3000.

I had a few of these inverters but since the last lot sold, I haven't been able to find any more. If you do come across any of these inverters, you need to make sure you go for the 5 volt type. And go for the standard (100V) or bright (120V) model, as the other models are less bright.

Otherwise you can try to damp the noise of the existing inverter. You could try what Korg do in their Wavestation - sticking a massive blob of hot glue around the inverter (which doesn't seem incredibly effective), or get hold of a couple of packets of blu-tack
adhesive putty and just surround the inverter with a load of that.

For MPC60 and MPC60II users - the inverter circuit from an S3000XL / S1100 / S1000 can be very useful. You can replace the existing inverter circuit in your 60/60II with this board, just screw it into place (the screw-holes are in the right place) and plug in the two connecting cables. Be careful not to get the cables mixed up or you will blow a fuse in your 60. Get in touch with me if you need a photo of which cable goes where.

Matt
By DJ Supreme Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:15 pm
Just wanted to confirm that i pulled the invertor
out of my s950 and it is now in my MPC 60 mk one

Complety SILENT and works fine

My s950 has a LED display from a year ago. my MPC 60 Invetor died and all day
i was searchng for links for invertors and then i realized thers one in my 950 :idea: :nod:
By DJ Supreme Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:18 pm
MisterWhite wrote:Thanks for sharing that :)

What's the brightness like on your MPC60 now? It's just that the 950 inverter works at a lower voltage than the 60 inverter. But it is usually very quiet and if it works, that's what counts.

No problem :!: :P

The brightness is about the same. Its time for a new backlight so I guess then I will be able
To tell if there any difference in brightness. But man the no noise at all super quietness
Is such a sweet trade off!!!

You will have to splice both sets of wires going into the mpc60. The most important part obviously
Is remembering which 2 sets of wires go to the el foil backlight, and which 2 go to the power supply.
By Moshine Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:07 pm
I switches my noisy 60 inverter. with a silent s3000xl one (plastic cube). Still some buzzing sound. Then i put some carbon behind the elfoil (carbon from a vinyl sleeve). Now its quite. It all worked for me!