Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By MisterWhite Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:20 pm
OK, if you suspect the power supply, the first thing do do is get a multimeter to measure the stability of the 5 volt supply. The 5V supply powers the logic so that would be the one to look at. If you are comfortable using one let me know and i'll tell you what to look for.

Can you answer these:

1. So, the internal SCSI circuitry was disconnected completely when this crash happened? (if not, disconnect the internal SCSI cable and try again)
2. What was the MPC doing when it crashed (stopped, playing a sequence, whatever)?
3. Does it seem to matter what menu you are in when there is a crash?
4. What exactly happens at the crash? Does the display just freeze and stay the same, or does it go blank? What happens if there's a sound playing at the time of the crash? Does the sound decay normally, do you hear anything unusual?
5. What RAM do you have in the machine - how much, and are those 2 memory slots both filled? Do you have an Akai memory board in there too?

I know it's not the same thing but there's only two ways I know of to hard lockup an S3000 sampler, one is SCSI related and the other is floppy related.

Let me know the answers and i'll try and point you in the right direction.
Matt
By SimonInAustralia Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:35 pm
I would be looking at your SCSI setup.

Post a photo of how it is connected.

Is it terminated (only) at the end of the bus/chain?

Is the external SCSI connector at the end of the SCSI bus/chain, or is it in the middle somewhere?

Can you disconnect the internal CF drive from the SCSI bus/chain and test it without it connected?
By jordan1852 Sat May 27, 2017 1:42 pm
I'm having a Identical issue with my 3000 right now, could anyone help?. Just restarts when I sample and make a beat. But not when I load up a beat and mess with it