Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By fobedafied Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:27 am
visually inspect all EPROMs and RAM chip seating would be the first place to investigate id assume... watch those EPROM pins and the pressure applied if and when attempting to correct any obvious deviations... be very careful. :)

on every bootup, or randomly sporadical? :hmmm:
By SimonInAustralia Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:58 pm
I think that the SCSI fuse is only for the SCSI termination power line.

A blown SCSI fuse should only affect SCSI devices/chains when transferring files to/from storage.

Can be overcome by connecting a SCSI device that provides it's own SCSI termination power to the SCSI chain/bus (I think).

I don't think it would have anything to do with your problems.

Maybe RAM, what RAM do you have in it at the moment?
By MisterWhite Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:33 am
It's worth checking the 5 Volt DC rail too. If the 5V supply is low, or fluctuating, it will crash the machine. And then it will automatically reboot once the supply is back above a certain voltage.

You can measure the 5V voltage from a few places, one place that comes to mind is across the 2 pins of P6 on the CPU board - unplug the connector there and measure the pins (P6 only powers the inverter/backlight so you can safely disconnect it). Any measurement under 4.7V would be a cause for concern, also if the voltage is not very stable and fluctuates, the power supply is a possible cause. Other causes of this low power could be some faulty device draining too much power.

- What drive are you using, a CF drive?
- Does your 3000 freeze so that you always have to physically switch it off/on again, or does it reboot itself?
By Soundsmith the Programmer Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:23 am
It's worth checking the 5 Volt DC rail too. If the 5V supply is low, or fluctuating, it will crash the machine. And then it will automatically reboot once the supply is back above a certain voltage.

You can measure the 5V voltage from a few places, one place that comes to mind is across the 2 pins of P6 on the CPU board - unplug the connector there and measure the pins (P6 only powers the inverter/backlight so you can safely disconnect it). Any measurement under 4.7V would be a cause for concern, also if the voltage is not very stable and fluctuates, the power supply is a possible cause. Other causes of this low power could be some faulty device draining too much power.

- Does your 3000 freeze so that you always have to physically switch it off/on again, or does it reboot itself?

GREAT INFO!

ill try this tomorrow.

the voltage drop makes sense.

for the moment I did an Internal SCSI mod, chaining another 50 pin adapter port inside the machine with a two connector cable... and leaving the back port installed.

The ZIP has been having read errors, and the click of death syndrome is starting, but I haven't been using. because of this. the power surely will peak sometimes if the drive is sketchy... I think I will try nothing in the scsi chain and nothing using the power connector... see if anything happens.

it has always happened while making a beat, never when I was saving or loading. this always had me thinking it was board related somewhere, but if the vibration made the SCSI drive draw a power surge? maybe that's it.

the 5v rail is the same 5v on the screen power as on the "device" or floppy power?

thanks
By MPCHunter Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:05 pm
Soundsmith the Programmer wrote: but if the vibration made the SCSI drive draw a power surge? maybe that's it.

No. :roll: I don't see how this could happen.

Make sure the ribbon cables that go from your operation PCBs and Drum pads are secure. Check for loose solder joints on all the connectors.

It is also possible that if this internal SCSI cable/mod you did is sloppy there might be something shorting out with your cabling/adapter causing the machine to crash.

If your machine started acting strange after this custom install, try removing what you have added and see if it fixes the issue.
By Bewareofthewolves Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:16 pm
MisterWhite wrote:It's worth checking the 5 Volt DC rail too. If the 5V supply is low, or fluctuating, it will crash the machine. And then it will automatically reboot once the supply is back above a certain voltage.

Alright bro,

I have a built in CF drive and sometimes when I try to save 'all programs' the 3000 freezes and I have to re-boot it, so I lose the beat (very frustrating). I think this only happens when I'm trying to save fairly large files, it never happens when I'm just saving a sequence for example.

Any ideas?
By MisterWhite Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:06 am
If your MPC is freezing up, and not rebooting itself, it doesn't sound like a voltage problem (a transient low voltage would have the effect of switching it off and on again).

Definitely do as MPCHunter suggested here - check the internal SCSI wiring and the CF drive setup... if you have a SCSI/IDE bridge card connected to your CF drive you should check all the jumper settings on that too. Maybe post a photo of the internal SCSI wiring?

Try to find out a sequence of events that makes your MPC crash. Load and save some lage files with the CF drive - if you know how to make it crash that would help to narrow the problem down, a lot.

MPCHunter wrote:
Soundsmith the Programmer wrote: but if the vibration made the SCSI drive draw a power surge? maybe that's it.

No. :roll: I don't see how this could happen.

Make sure the ribbon cables that go from your operation PCBs and Drum pads are secure. Check for loose solder joints on all the connectors.

It is also possible that if this internal SCSI cable/mod you did is sloppy there might be something shorting out with your cabling/adapter causing the machine to crash.

If your machine started acting strange after this custom install, try removing what you have added and see if it fixes the issue.
By SimonInAustralia Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:17 am
Bewareofthewolves wrote:I have a built in CF drive and sometimes when I try to save 'all programs' the 3000 freezes and I have to re-boot it, so I lose the beat (very frustrating). I think this only happens when I'm trying to save fairly large files, it never happens when I'm just saving a sequence for example.
Any ideas?

The SCSI bus/chain is supposed to be a linear bus, with SCSI termination at each end.

Some of the photos of internal SCSI setups on these forums are not the right way to do it, forming a Y at the internal-external SCSI cable connection, instead of a linear chain, and I can imagine that it might give errors saving larger files (if an external SCSI device is connected, or if not terminated correctly at the end of the SCSI chain/bus).

Have you tried with different makes/models of CF cards?

Could possibly also just be an incompatible drive.

What CF reader are you using, and is it SCSI, or IDE with a SCSI bridge?
By Shostakovich Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:09 pm
my experience with this is on 3.50 / CF is bad card or corrupt sector / dying cells.

try a different card. keep the old one as you may be able to salvage the contents using a PC.
By Bewareofthewolves Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:29 pm
SimonInAustralia wrote:
Bewareofthewolves wrote:I have a built in CF drive and sometimes when I try to save 'all programs' the 3000 freezes and I have to re-boot it, so I lose the beat (very frustrating). I think this only happens when I'm trying to save fairly large files, it never happens when I'm just saving a sequence for example.
Any ideas?

The SCSI bus/chain is supposed to be a linear bus, with SCSI termination at each end.

Some of the photos of internal SCSI setups on these forums are not the right way to do it, forming a Y at the internal-external SCSI cable connection, instead of a linear chain, and I can imagine that it might give errors saving larger files (if an external SCSI device is connected, or if not terminated correctly at the end of the SCSI chain/bus).

Have you tried with different makes/models of CF cards?

Could possibly also just be an incompatible drive.

What CF reader are you using, and is it SCSI, or IDE with a SCSI bridge?

Thanks for the reply.

I only have 1 CF card, so I haven't had chance to try a different one yet, I hope it's just a faulty card!

I think it's an IDE with a SCSI bridge, I think the drive is compatible, so I don't think that is the problem.
By Soundsmith the Programmer Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:43 pm
If your MPC is freezing up, and not rebooting itself, it doesn't sound like a voltage problem (a transient low voltage would have the effect of switching it off and on again).

So I removed everything being powered. **** around for awhile pressing buttons as fast as I could, slamming on the buttons... trying to trigger a crash.

Sure shit, it crashed itself about ten minutes later when I wasn't **** with it.

I am 99% sure we have a power supply issue here.

Rebuild or purchase?

links?