Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By The Phoenix Vision Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:49 am
My name is Brad I am a EDM producer. I work alongside a gentleman named Omar Santana. Omar has quite the name for himself in the industry and has been very successful during his career...and comes along with an amazing story! Omar has RP or Retinitis Pigmentosa, legally blind. The only piece of gear he will touch is the Roger Linn Designed MPC 3000, and let me tell you it is a quite the sight watching him work on one. In the past few years the disease has progressed to the point of nearly not being able to produce anymore. His vision is very blurred and tunnel like leaving it impossible to see the lcd screen on board the mpc. He had a dealer install the Akai IB-CRT VGA mod. Things were great for a while until the monitor went bad. I now am searching for a compatible vga monitor that will display the lcd contents larger so he can use the flashing cursor as a reference to know where he is from mode to mode etc. and so he doesnt accidentally erase instead of save and other catastrophes that have occurred are prevented. I have been searching for info on what separates a working display from a non working display. Seems to be hit or miss as to which ones work. If you have any ideas or info to offer me that would be helpful i would be forever in your debt.
Thank you
Brad aka Dubokle
The Phoenix Vision
I found pics here of a HP VS15 working...i bought one and it doesnt work, blank screen! Ive gone to several second hand vendors with the mpc and no luck finding one that works.....Is there a setting on the monitor i need to change or what is the determining factor that makes one work and not others?
By SimonInAustralia Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:26 am
Been meaning to try and work out why it only works with some monitors.

I took my MPC to a computer fair/sale, and went from seller to seller testing it with their second hand monitors until I found one that worked.

Maybe a business that buys up out of lease PCs, to pull apart to recycle them, might have some monitors that you can test it with.

Someone might make a clone of the VGA option, which might be modified to work with a wider range of monitors, but no idea if/when that will happen.
By Shostakovich Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:59 pm
tried an tested:

Bermon 9" SVGA Model: BER-MV-0901

also known as

MV-0901 (by Fujitsu or Axiom depending on location)

HP VS15

untested by me but tested by others:

Viewsonic VA550

LG Flatron W2234S

the HPVS15 should work - please check cable as well as IB-CRT set up. Also, order of switching important - display first, 3000 last. it won't work the other way around - not for me at least
By The Phoenix Vision Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Shostakovich wrote:tried an tested:

also known as

HP VS15

Viewsonic VA550

LG Flatron W2234S

the HPVS15 should work - please check cable as well as IB-CRT set up. Also, order of switching important - display first, 3000 last. it won't work the other way around - not for me at least

What should i look for in the IB-CRT set up? make sure everything is connected properly?
By The Phoenix Vision Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:53 pm
The Phoenix Vision wrote:
Shostakovich wrote:tried an tested:

also known as

HP VS15

Viewsonic VA550

LG Flatron W2234S

What should i look for in the IB-CRT set up? make sure everything is connected properly?

And is there something i need to have done in the settings? Power saver, Managment, or any other OSD items that need ton be adj?
if power saver is on it just says its going to sleep...with it off the screen stays black then says No Input Signal...
I got one flicker of hope last night randomly, ive seen pics of the hp vs15 working i dont get why it doesnt like me
By SimonInAustralia Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:22 pm
A fantasy solution, difficult and probably costly, would be to find someone with some high level electronic/mechanical engineering skills to convert the LCD or VGA output into a physical output device, maybe a surface with braille characters to replace the MPC display text, or something similar, that popup from the surface under electronic control, that reflect what is happening on the display, and that Omar could maybe get used to interacting with instead of the LCD/monitor.
By SimonInAustralia Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:27 pm
If in a studio, maybe a data projector onto a larger screen or wall, or maybe an LCD TV with a VGA (or converted VGA) input?

No idea if data projectors or TVs with VGA inputs are going to work, might see if I can grab a projector from work and see what it does.

This would probably be a more viable solution if a cloned VGA option is made, with modified circuitry to provide an output that is compatible with a wider range of modern monitors.
By roecker Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:06 pm
Works on my 27" Samsung TOC monitor (only a few years old). I will get the actual model number when I get home and post a pic.
By roecker Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:41 pm

Samsung Syncmaster T260
By roecker Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:13 am

Picked up a Samsung SyncMaster 740n today off CL for $20.... Works with the 3000.

For future reference.
By Spod Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:50 am
I just tried mine with a Dell u2411 and it comes up on the screen for a second then goes, and keeps flashing back up every 5 or 10 seconds.