Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By derf06 Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:06 pm
This may seem like an obvious question but is it possible to exchange the internal floppy drive of a MPC3K with say an internal HD?

I assume the reason the scsi port is inverted on the modifications I've seen is due to the fact that the internal connection (for the floppy) is not compatible with other types of drive (CF)?

Perhaps the MPC can only read a limited amount of data with a internally connected drive?

Ideally I'd like to keep my external CF reader and also possibly use an internal HD.

I've searched but with no luck - what connection is used between the internal floppy drive and MPC?

Cheers
By eno deggur Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:34 pm
derf06 wrote:This may seem like an obvious question but is it possible to exchange the internal floppy drive of a MPC3K with say an internal HD?

I assume the reason the scsi port is inverted on the modifications I've seen is due to the fact that the internal connection (for the floppy) is not compatible with other types of drive (CF)?

Perhaps the MPC can only read a limited amount of data with a internally connected drive?

Ideally I'd like to keep my external CF reader and also possibly use an internal HD.

I've searched but with no luck - what connection is used between the internal floppy drive and MPC?

Cheers

It is possible but you may have to mod it in order to make the 3000 read it also the machine is old. Just have to research it but also look into SCSI adapters as well.
By MPCHunter Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:54 pm
derf06 wrote:I've searched but with no luck - what connection is used between the internal floppy drive and MPC?

The internal floppy drive connects to the floppy disc controller so you are limited to use drives that appear as a floppy drive to the MPC (actual floppy drives, floppy to USB converters, etc.) on that cable.

If you are going the card reader and hard drive route, both devices will have to be on the SCSI bus. These can be especially tricky to daisy chain up in the MPC.

There are some very detailed threads listed below that go over the whole process.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=164560
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=161539

Also

http://mpc3000.com/zip_install.htm
By Clint Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:33 pm
A forum member is selling a MCDISK HOT SWAP CARD READER on eBay. Get it QUICK and call it a day. Save yourself a lot of hassle. £160 BIN. Worldwide shipping, he's in North London.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MPL-MCDISK-E- ... 3a82130f7f

Get it before I take a punt on it myself.
By derf06 Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:25 pm
Cheers, those threads are insightful.

I've been considering mounting internally a SCSI convertor card and just using that as a hard drive, don't think it needs an external power supply either. Perhaps load the card with a sound library etc. before it goes in.

I am not too concerned about transferring files between PC and MPC although the floppy drive will still be mounted if needs be.

Anyone know the type of cable that connects the SCSI jack PCB and the SCSI in PCB?

Ta
Last edited by derf06 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Clint Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:12 pm
derf06 wrote:
Anyone know the type of cable that connects the SCSI jack PCB and the SCSI in PCB?

What are you talking about?
By derf06 Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:42 pm
There's a flat grey cable that connects the SCSI in printed circuit board to the SCSI jack printed circuit board on the inside of the MPC.
By Acid Mitch Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:38 pm
SimonInAustralia wrote:It is still limited by the maximum drive size in the OS, isn't it 780MB?

Yes, MPC60 and MPC3000 can only use 768mb no matter how big your card is.
By jimmie Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:39 pm
Just to be clear:

"The MPC3000 in Vailixi Hybrid Partition mode will make usable about 832 MEGABYTE.” – Quote from Rohan (the fella who made Vailixi).

You can make 26 partitions of 32MB with Vailixi installed, otherwise, yes you are limited to 768MB.