Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Clint Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:49 pm
Mitch, Viacom, Sequentix:

What exactly is involved in the installation, or is it simply a replacement LCD and PCB complete assembly, as in plug 'n' play?
By Acid Mitch Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:59 pm
Open the MPC and disconnect the cables for the display.
Remove the casing for the display from the MPC,
open up the casing and remove the display,
put the new one in and put casing back together,
Attach the casing to the MPC and then attach the cables.

It's like changing a backlight/EL foil only your swapping the displays and removing the EL foil.

Clint wrote: is it simply a replacement LCD and PCB complete assembly, as in plug 'n' play?

Yes.
By Clint Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:54 am
Anybody else copped/or copping this?

Get 'em while you can...
By vout Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:26 pm
Hi,

I always thought that the MPC60 and MPC3000 used the same display and that it was impossible to replace these with a modern LCD because the MPC display has no on-board controller chips like modern displays do, so they are not compatible at all. So a couple of questions - why is this display not compatible with the 3000, is it just a physical thing because of the particular display used? And more importantly, how is this possible? If you don't mind sharing, could this technique be applied to any modern LCD?

I'm sure that every MPC60 & 3000 user would be interested.

Cheers, vout
By Clint Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:53 pm
vout wrote:I always thought that the MPC60 and MPC3000 used the same display

Well, you thought wrong. Read the thread properly and you might learn something.

vout wrote:why is this display not compatible with the 3000

Well you did think "the MPC60 and MPC3000 used the same display" which would explain why you don't know the answer.

vout wrote:And more importantly, how is this possible? If you don't mind sharing

Read the thread properly and you might learn something. Besides, don't expect a time-served electronic engineer/businessman to hand you his trade secrets. If you're that interested, BUY A SCREEN.

vout wrote:I'm sure that every MPC60 & 3000 user would be interested.

You found this thread in the MPC3000/MPC60 forum, right?

vout wrote:Cheers, vout

Welcome to MPC-Forums.
By vout Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:34 pm
Hi,

Thanks for the welcome Clint.

You are right - I was thinking of the 60 mkII display. I see now that the original MPC60 has a slightly larger display, apologies for that error. However, what I was really getting at, and this is the important thing, is that as far as I understand they are electrically the same - you can fit a 3000 display in a 60 with a bit of bodging according to the info here -

http://www.mpcstuff.com/lcd-screen-for- ... d-mpc.html

I don't have a 60 but I do own a 3000 and I would really like to know if it is possible to modify a standard modern LCD to work in the 3000 in the same way.
Also I'm well aware of why someone might not want to share proprietary info, hence why I said 'If you don't mind sharing' - There's no harm in asking.

Cheers, vout
By Clint Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:49 pm
vout wrote:I would really like to know if it is possible to modify a standard modern LCD to work in the 3000

Feel free to start another thread about that.

This thread is about the Sequentix screens.
By amenphetamine Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:17 pm
Anyone else who got this display? Or at least got a reply from the guy? I sent an email with a purchase request almost 1 month ago, but haven't received any response yet..

I respect the fact that he is a very busy person, but then don't understand why we are told to contact him about these, when he clearly isn't able to reply to the messages. And the fact is that I'm not the only person; there are several other people with the same (bitter) experience..
By jibber Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:36 pm
I sent him an email yesterday saying i'll take two screens. I'm not expecting an answer anytime soon. He never answered my first email that i wrote months ago.

Just over the weekend i was discussing this with a friend...

I need a new screen for the MPC60, but seeing how Colin handles the business, it's a waiting game to be played. I don't want to sit here and hope that maybe someday he will get back to me... So i sent him the email yesterday saying i'll take two screens (one for my homie), but at the same time i am in contact with other people who could get me a replacement screen or fix the broken one (simply because of the experience here with Colin, who knows how long it will take for a response, and who knows if the one's he'll eventually produce aren't sold already).

I asked him in the email for a response, i'm not expecting one anytime soon.

I don't know if it's a UK thing...

I'll share an example of my car:

I have a car that was produced in england in a "shed" (lotus factory). In january this year somebody hit the car in a parking lot and ran. I needed a new front clam (whole front body panel) to fix the car. Guess what... it got shipped this week... seven months (!) later.
They promised three or four times that it's been shipped, including a final shipping date. In the same time, they managed to cancel the order three times (for unknown reasons). Clams were shipped out, just not to switzerland or the people who ordered them.
The mechanic who's fixing my car involved the swiss CEO of that car brand. CEO made some calls, promises were made from Lotus england, promises were broken multiple times.

My old man used to work in england in the car industry quite a bit when he was younger. He told me: "It doesn't matter if the swiss CEO calls them and tells them to get up from their arses, the problem is that the front has to make it out of england, and that won't happen until some guy over there who is responsible decides it's time to get off his lazy arse."
He proceeded to tell me a story when he and a company colleague had to go there for work for a week once. They lost the suitcase of his colleague... the poor guy called the lost and found every day, with the same answer every day: "We're terribly sorry, but your suitcase is nowhere to be found, we just checked again.".
So on the last day when they go back home, the guy decides to take a last chance, and walks into the lost and found at the airport where he called every day for a week... and behold... his suitcase sits there right in front of a big pile of lost luggage, with a big name tag on it sporting his name. They were simply too lazy to go and look for it for a solid week!!! :Sigh: :mrgreen:
My dad then added: "And that's pretty much how they handle everything over there, don't expect your new car front to turn up anytime soon."... he was right, took them seven bloody months!

I'm not saying Colin is like this. I agree the dude is probably busy... but not responding to your customers (and we are his customers at the end of the day if we are willing to buy his product)... well... not a good look.

I'll still wait what will happen, after all, an LED screen for my 60 would be sweet. However, i'm not counting on it, and will try to fix my MPC in another way in the meantime.

PS: Hopefully you brits will not take offense by this post. :fku: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
By jibber Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:51 pm
^ To be fair...

He did ask to send him an email in this thread...

sequentix wrote:If you haven't emailed me, and want a display, drop me an email to colin (at) sequentix dot com, and I'll put you on the list.
Depending on how many orders I get, and if I can face another bout of eyestrain, I may order a further carton of displays.

Cheers,
Colin

...but he didn't say he would send you a response, or even promise to make another batch of screens.

So let's wait and see. I will try to fix my MPC screen some other way for now, but i'll still take one from Colin. Keep your fingers crossed... :-D
By Clint Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:54 pm
Acid Mitch wrote:Will probably be first come ,first served..

Looks that way.

A "fully upgraded" MPC60 would be incomplete without the screen upgrade.

Only a handful of screens sold...for now.
By davehate Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:29 am
Wow..so nice!!! Man id love one for a 3k :( ..but damn nice work!
By davehate Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:30 pm
I was doing some scanning of upgrade parts on mpcstuff and noticed they have a mpc60 adapter plate for mpc60 lcd screen to put into mpc3000...since this lcd screen is only for a mpc60 and its plug and play...would a person be able to install this lcd into a 3000 using the mpc60 screen adapter?