Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Dave_Mode Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:56 pm
Id remove the chip and carefully bend that pin back into place with needle nose pliers and\or a jewellers screw driver.. Then ensure to insert that end of the chip first when reseating. Or take to someone if you're not confident under the hood. Howd it get that way, and whens last time it worked?
By Dave_Mode Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:09 am
Sometimes with new ones, the pin span is too wide to fit into socket. you can rotate the Eproms, by following their natural span, from the top where the bend is, and bend all slightly inward, thus decreaseing the span to more easily be acccepted into the socket. Its best to do this many times then to have to bend those pins back if you go too far, so be warned.
By v00d00ppl Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:24 am
The last time my 60 worked was when I still had 3.03. The pins are ok now, but the problem is the seller admits to putting the labels on the wrong chips so he told me to rotate the chips around. This is a nightmare. Buying these chips used was such a mistake
By psr Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:10 pm
v00d00ppl wrote:The last time my 60 worked was when I still had 3.03. The pins are ok now, but the problem is the seller admits to putting the labels on the wrong chips so he told me to rotate the chips around. This is a nightmare. Buying these chips used was such a mistake

Damn yo. sorry to hear that. I hope is just a matter of figuring out the order and that nothing gets shorted.
By v00d00ppl Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:53 pm
psr wrote:
v00d00ppl wrote:The last time my 60 worked was when I still had 3.03. The pins are ok now, but the problem is the seller admits to putting the labels on the wrong chips so he told me to rotate the chips around. This is a nightmare. Buying these chips used was such a mistake

Damn yo. sorry to hear that. I hope is just a matter of figuring out the order and that nothing gets shorted.

Thanks bro. Nothing should short because if the sequence is wrong you will get the blank blue screen of death. Seeing there are four chips there are 24 possible combinations i have to do before I go mad. It's the mathematics rule of Permutation
1x2x3x4=24. I've been documenting my chip sequences with my phone and i've narrowed down the 6 combinations it's not.

Lesson learned don't be a cheapskate with these things. Buy new from VST or Roger Linn directly.

At least the USB floppy i installed worked on 3.03OS.
By psr Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:33 pm
well looks like you are well on your way. As long as no potential damage i guess its just a matter of time. good the usb deal is working out. I went thru hell before i got a decent solution.
By v00d00ppl Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:46 am
MPCHunter wrote:
v00d00ppl wrote:Buying these pirated chips was such a mistake

Fixed it for you.

How can I tell if they are pirated? Mine had a date of 11/96 from RLD. I was thinking that is from Roger Linn Design
By MPCHunter Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:52 am
v00d00ppl wrote:http://instagram.com/p/klEGAFiCyc/

@hunter

This is taken by me. Are these eprom chips real or cloned?

v00d00ppl wrote:but the problem is the seller admits to putting the labels on the wrong chips so he told me to rotate the chips around.

Who is the seller of the chips?

If the chips were legitimate, why would the seller be putting labels on the chips? Certainly the labels would already be on there?

Would you be able to peel back one of the labels on the chips to see the EPROM part number and date code from manufacture?

I've never seen any OS3.10 chips that did not have a letter after the version number i.e. V3.10c or V3.10e on the label. It is strange that your chips do not have this designation, though perhaps you have the original 3.10 without the fixes that took it to version e.

Can you post the picture of the screen from your unit when it boots up where is shows the version of software you are running? It will say "Software Version"
By v00d00ppl Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:23 am
@hunter the seller is Route 66 studios. Not trying to put the seller on blast. I've heard many good reviews with this seller. After the seller heard how I've had a hard time with these chips the seller will send me some new ones. My unit cannot even start the OS at all.

What's interesting about my 3.03OS chips my unit came with was they were black and had no writing on it. Did the 3.03OS chips have white sticker labels too?
By MPCHunter Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:09 am
v00d00ppl wrote:@hunter the seller is Route 66 studios. Not trying to put the seller on blast. I've heard many good reviews with this seller. After the seller heard how I've had a hard time with these chips the seller will send me some new ones. My unit cannot even start the OS at all.

What's interesting about my 3.03OS chips my unit came with was they were black and had no writing on it. Did the 3.03OS chips have white sticker labels too?

The binaries for 3.03OS were publicly released.

Roger Linn never released the binaries for 3.10OS so any copies that do not come from an authorized seller are most likely counterfeit.

The fact that this seller is able to make you "new" ones should make it pretty obvious on the legitimacy of the EPROMS.

I'm sure if you contacted Roger directly he would let you know if Route 66 is an authorized reseller of his OS.

v00d00ppl wrote:Lesson learned don't be a cheapskate with these things. Buy new from VST or Roger Linn directly.

Sounds like good advice. I wouldn't waste my time getting a questionable version of the software as you will have no recourse or support in the future if something goes wrong.