Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By dtirer Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:20 pm
Anyone know a good person to take my MPC 3000 to for repair in NYC? In general, it's just little things (crackly outputs / cut in and out), but I'd rather not go taking things apart in there. I've heard I should stay away from Armen's. I've heard reasonable about Rogue. I also have a guy at Main Drag in Brooklyn who's good with Analog stuff, but generally tells me that digital isn't his forte.

Other issues i've encountered occasionally:

1) Quiet Samples (either loaded via Flash, or sampled into the analog ins) have a strange digital 'garble' after them. I say quiet samples because its most noticeable in quiet ones. Not a big deal though -- some careful trimming usually gets rid of it

2) white noise blast -- this has only happened a few times, when I'm doing some heavy internal sequencing at fast tempos, it'll occasionally blast some white noise and continue on its way

3) And this has happened once, and only once, but I was surprised: The machine froze! (gasp!). I would imagine this can happen. I honestly can't remember what i was doing...I think i was copying events from one sequence to another.

Anyways, I've had this MPC for about a year and half, but have never gotten it checked out. So I'd like the most qualified individual to take a look :)
By eno deggur Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:51 pm
Anyone know a good person to take my MPC 3000 to for repair in NYC? In general, it's just little things (crackly outputs / cut in and out), but I'd rather not go taking things apart in there. I've heard I should stay away from Armen's. I've heard reasonable about Rogue. I also have a guy at Main Drag in Brooklyn who's good with Analog stuff, but generally tells me that digital isn't his forte.

Try DBM Pro Audio in NYC as they fix my 3000 and found a few things that Rogue fixed but used a few things that was not meant or intent and was surprised. It might cost you arm & leg but worth it and service is good too.

Other issues i've encountered occasionally:

1) Quiet Samples (either loaded via Flash, or sampled into the analog ins) have a strange digital 'garble' after them. I say quiet samples because its most noticeable in quiet ones. Not a big deal though -- some careful trimming usually gets rid of it

Might be your cables that your using but never heard of that and never experienced it

2) white noise blast -- this has only happened a few times, when I'm doing some heavy internal sequencing at fast tempos, it'll occasionally blast some white noise and continue on its way

Hhhhmm sounds like but don't quote me on it circuit board maybe old or might need a new but like I said don't quote me on it and not sure what else can fault.

3) And this has happened once, and only once, but I was surprised: The machine froze! (gasp!). I would imagine this can happen. I honestly can't remember what i was doing...I think i was copying events from one sequence to another.

What version your using ?? Also maybe the machine is hot also if your doing alot of things at the same time that might be the case.

Anyways, I've had this MPC for about a year and half, but have never gotten it checked out. So I'd like the most qualified individual to take a look :)

Yes always check out the unit before buying and ask questions that's what I did when I bought it over a year. That is your investment.
By anaozao Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:33 pm
Sup, guys! I'd like to ask the original poster how has the repair turned out.

I'll be visiting NYC for 15 days on September and considering to take my MPC 1000 w/ XLCD to overall maintenance and some repairs, mostly replacing all tact switches (some buttons are getting hard to press after 4-years use, even after I replaced the plastic buttons).

By dtirer Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:39 pm
Actually haven't gotten around to it yet, jsut can't bare to part with it ;)

However, I have been taking some of my synths over to Main Drag Music in Brooklyn and they've been pretty top notch thus far. However, they're busy right now so the turnaround time can be 3 - 5 weeks.

But I do plan to take my MPC over there

anaozao wrote:Sup, guys! I'd like to ask the original poster how has the repair turned out.

I'll be visiting NYC for 15 days on September and considering to take my MPC 1000 w/ XLCD to overall maintenance and some repairs, mostly replacing all tact switches (some buttons are getting hard to press after 4-years use, even after I replaced the plastic buttons).

By anaozao Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:45 pm
3 weeks? Damn, I'll be there only for two weeks =/
By SimonInAustralia Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:31 pm
anaozao wrote:3 weeks? Damn, I'll be there only for two weeks =/

Call them, ask them if you can book it in for when you are there in September, tell them you are only there for 15 days, ask if they can fix it in that time.
By anaozao Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:21 pm
SimonInAustralia wrote:
anaozao wrote:3 weeks? Damn, I'll be there only for two weeks =/

Call them, ask them if you can book it in for when you are there in September, tell them you are only there for 15 days, ask if they can fix it in that time.

Hey, Simon, thanks, I just did that and also asked about fixing a broken OP-1! Hope they can take the service and help me out :) Fingers crossed.
By forknspoon Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:26 pm
Theres a guy in NY by the name of Loopwhole that does repairs. From what I've heard from my friends in toronah is that he's good and reliable!
By C-Quence Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:45 am
forknspoon wrote:Theres a guy in NY by the name of Loopwhole that does repairs. From what I've heard from my friends in toronah is that he's good and reliable!

There's a thread about that guy in the xl forum and its nothing nice.