Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By jimmie Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:54 am
SimonInAustralia wrote:Mine is labelled EV, instead of BS, and uses P853, from a transformer marker EVBS, as you said.

So I could swap pins on the connector coming from the transformer to the Power PCB, to set it to run at the correct voltage.

Or mains voltage is specified as being 230VAC, but used to be, or still is, referred to as 240VAC. I wonder if it matters then, maybe I should test the actual voltage coming out of the wall socket.

Just resolder the molex header position on the pcb to be at P854.
But, I think Australia and the UK actually changed over to 230V not so long ago, to get in-line with the European voltage spec (Europe were 220V but if we all go 230V, tolerances allowing, we can all use one voltage without messing up everyone's equipment).

But physically changing over transformers, etc to actually take the supplied power from 240V to 230V is a big roll-out over time I guess. Need to get solid info on that.
By SimonInAustralia Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:11 am
jimmie wrote:Just resolder the molex header position on the pcb to be at P854.

Would be a lot easier to just swap the number 3 and 5 female terminals in the connector, than move the connector/male pins to a different location on the Filter PCB.
By jimmie Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:52 pm
SimonInAustralia wrote:
jimmie wrote:Just resolder the molex header position on the pcb to be at P854.

Would be a lot easier to just swap the number 3 and 5 female terminals in the connector, than move the connector/male pins to a different location on the Filter PCB.

I'm not sure you can. The connector may be un-openable. Also, without unscrewing my mpc to look, I'm not sure the pcb headers are both connected in the same way.

By SimonInAustralia Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:24 pm
Fairly sure that the female terminals on the connectors are standard, they push into the rear side of the plug and are locked in with a small tab protruding from the side of the female terminal.

Will have to have a look.

Schematics show pin 1 of P853 and P854 (NEUTRAL) being connected together, both feeding pin 2 of FL851 (line filter coil), and pin 3 of P853 (LIVE) and pin 5 of P854 (240V) being connected together, both feeding F1 fuse.
By mygermanium Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:16 pm
any news about it ?
i have a USA model, i use a step down cos i'm in Europe (france)
and really really like to keep the internal transformer and use it with 230v
By SimonInAustralia Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:20 pm
mygermanium wrote:any news about it ?
i have a USA model, i use a step down cos i'm in Europe (france)
and really really like to keep the internal transformer and use it with 230v

I think that you will need to replace the internal transformer with one from a 230V MPC3000, or something compatible.
By psoul Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:41 pm
SimonInAustralia wrote:
3K. wrote:Planning to switch my transformer as well, as my japanese model is 110V too. Apart from putting in a bi-voltage transformer (to get 5V and 12V at the same time), you need to change the fuses accordingly:
F1 = T1A 250V
F2 = T3.15A 250V
F3 = T800mA 250V
F4 = T800mA 250V

What I'm still unsure of is the issue with connecting the transformer on the Power PCB:
Mains transformers marked [J][C][A] connect to socket P853 (that's what I have here)
Mains transformers marked [E][V][B][S] connect to socket P854 (as it should be, according to the service manual)
Is it really necessary to relocate to P854 (where there is no connector, just the holes)?

Not sure why they use a different connector on the Power PCB for [B][S] regions, they schematics show both connectors as being connected to the same locations, just a different pinout.

It is actually only [B][S] that use P854, [J][C][A] and [E][V] all use P853.

yeah I don't get this too... did u try at the end? i know lot of time
By kartir Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:31 pm
I am moving from US to the Netherlands with my MPC 60 so i'll need to purchase a step down converter for the 60 as well as some other gear...

I'm worried about buying something cheap thats gonna mess up my units. Anyone have any suggestions on models or brands of step down converters? Perhaps ones with multiple inputs? I need something reliable for the longer-ish term.

Also is it ok to plug in a US power strip into a single step down converter? Anything info helps, thanks!