Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By triggerfinger Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:10 pm
Hello,

Just wanted to say hi as I have just joined the forum. I've been using MPC1000's for about 10 years with normal and JJOS, and had a 2000xl LE about 12 years ago but have just (today) got an MPC3000le :mrgreen: . So I may need some support in the transition.

I'm mainly a mix engineer, but also occasional beat maker.

Anyway pleased to be here and looking forward to making some more beats.
By Clint Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:02 pm
triggerfinger wrote: have just (today) got an MPC3000le :mrgreen: .

Not a bad comeback, CONGRATS!

Once you get sorted maybe you could give some details for the MPC3000LE Roll-call.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=142161
By triggerfinger Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:00 pm
Thanks Clint,

Yep will definitely contribute to the Roll Call. It's well used - a bit scruffy, but it's mine :)

MPC was bought 'as is' with no guarantee that it works. A bit of gentle coaxing and gentle button massage and already have it working - result! was expecting some serious repair work, but looks like I may have avoided that.

Need to strip it down and give it a proper deep clean now, then photoshoot and I'll upload.

Incidentally the learning curve hasn't been very noticeable so far. Straight in sampling and making a beat, very intuitive. I guess lots of experience with S900, S2000, S3000 and the other MPC's have given me a big leg up.
By Clint Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:42 pm
triggerfinger wrote:
MPC was bought 'as is' with no guarantee that it works.

Was that the one on eBay the other day that was relisted 'due to a timewaster'?

If so that went cheaply in the end. But I was at work when the auction finished. Dont know why people let their listings end during the working day...how silly is that!
By soundtech Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:38 pm
Clint wrote:
triggerfinger wrote:
MPC was bought 'as is' with no guarantee that it works.

Was that the one on eBay the other day that was relisted 'due to a timewaster'?

If so that went cheaply in the end. But I was at work when the auction finished. Dont know why people let their listings end during the working day...how silly is that!

most likely that is the one. matches OP description. well someone took advantage of it for a great price. so enjoy it OP sure you will bring her up to speed in no time.

triggerfinger wrote:Thanks Clint,

Incidentally the learning curve hasn't been very noticeable so far. Straight in sampling and making a beat, very intuitive. I guess lots of experience with S900, S2000, S3000 and the other MPC's have given me a big leg up.

i have come to an mpc3000 form akai s series myself. there is no learning curve especially if you have used a 2000xl but there are a few tricks. the only time i had to open the manual was to determine what "local mode" meant.

a quick tip: i suggest you assign midi notes to your pads chromatically so you can play synths from your pads for example, if you ever use your 3000 with external gear.
By SEMS Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:42 pm
I was looking at that one as well, nice price & congrats! I've noticed that 3000s are a bit harder to come by on this side of the pond. Good luck & let us know how you get on!
By triggerfinger Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:06 pm
Oh no - just wrote a long post, tabbed on ipad and lost it... Argh!

Sorry been missing - school holidays so kids at home and lots of DIY to do, domestic bliss eh?

Yes that's the mpc I have - couldn't believe the price, especially now it's working. And got to collect it in person. Now I have it it turns out that quite a few of my friends have le's too - I'll try and persuade them to join the roll call too. Think we have 5 between us.

Local mode? Yep that's new to me, I'll look that up in the manual later. Re midi note assign, - top tip! - that said there is also something appealing about the wonkiness when you don't do it too - I think that's what I did on the mono lines on this tune I made about 8 years ago on an mpc1000 https://soundcloud.com/gawain-hewitt/wi ... tended-mix

Thanks all for the welcome, it's good to be here...
By jimmie Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:03 am
Nice one. An LE.
Yes I was watching that one as well.

CF reader now?
Pretty much essential for me with my MPC 3000.
Floppy disk mountain came down on me.

Well done m8.
Enjoy :nod:
By triggerfinger Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:47 am
Yes cf reader is attractive, going to start with some Zip disks first as the cost of entry a lot lower, and I'm a bit nostalgic for them ( reminds me of my old sampler)