Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By godxbOmb Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:20 am
SimonInAustralia wrote:
godxbOmb wrote:But judging by the current labeling; either they were changed and the tags underneath weren't removed, or they are still the stock fuses. They are not blown or burnt up so I am thinking the former is most likely.

What do you mean 'current labeling' and 'tags underneath'?

You probably need to pull the fuses out, and check the value on the fuses as stamped into one of the metal ends of each fuse.

There are sticker tags with those voltages printed on them directly under the fuses on the pcb. But good idea I will.
By godxbOmb Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:27 am
The metal fuse caps do indeed have the EVBS mA ratings etched on them..
By SimonInAustralia Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:29 am
With the US transformer in there, I can only guess that it has been used like that previously.

I would use it, but would replace the fuses with the correct values when possible.

At worst it will just blow the fuses, because they are a lower amperage value than they should be.
By godxbOmb Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:37 am
I will go get new fuses and swap em' out. Now the only thing I'm worried about is that component that says 250v on it next to the F1 fuse.

Thanks a whole lot for all your help btw.
By SimonInAustralia Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:39 am
According to the service manual, it is just the transformer and the fuses that are different between the different region models.

That component would be rated to handle 250V, as an upper limit, and would not be damaged by only having 120V run through it.
By godxbOmb Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:51 am
SimonInAustralia wrote:According to the service manual, it is just the transformer and the fuses that are different between the different region models.

That component would be rated to handle 250V, as an upper limit, and would not be damaged by only having 120V run through it.

Awesome! New fuses and it should be squared away. I will update my progress after installing them in the morning.
By 3K. Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:25 pm
Assuming the transformer basically is the same, I would offer you my 110/120V transformer in exchange to your 220/240V type. PM me if that is of interest to you.
By godxbOmb Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:39 pm
3K. wrote:Assuming the transformer basically is the same, I would offer you my 110/120V transformer in exchange to your 220/240V type. PM me if that is of interest to you.

Read the posts. It has been swapped with a 110v already.
By godxbOmb Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:49 pm
Yes they are engraved on the metal caps at the end of the tubes.

I am sort of a novice when it comes to electronic components. I went to the hardware store and was overwhelmed by the different fuse types. What type of fuse is this? The service manual yielded part numbers and a part code that I have had no luck finding info on.
Last edited by godxbOmb on Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By 3K. Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:49 pm
Forgive my ignorance :Sigh:
Last edited by 3K. on Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By godxbOmb Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:55 pm
3K. wrote:Forgive my ignorance :Sigh: Any chance of obtaining your 220V transformer?

:WTF:

I can't forgive you if you don't try.... It came with the 120v transformer. I had to open it to figure that out.
By godxbOmb Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:01 pm
3K. wrote:Just read the particular post. Never mind.

It's ok. :smoker:
By godxbOmb Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:04 pm
How the heck do I remove this fuse? :hmmm:

EDIT: nvm you just pry them up.
By SimonInAustralia Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:12 pm
You just need fuses that match the amperage ratings and that have an equal or higher voltage rating, as listed in the service manual for the US model, that are normal/fast blow type, and that are the same fuse size.

What you had in there already probably would have worked, as they are in there with the US transformer already, and would most likely have been used with them previously. Having a lower amp rating is just going to mean the fuses might blow sooner, at lower current flow through them, it is not going to damage the MPC at all, if they do blow, you just need to replace them with the correctly rated fuses.
Last edited by SimonInAustralia on Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.