Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By jimmie Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:20 am
Yeah 3k that's exactly what I'm talking about.

Last year I bought Translator and promptly found out that it wouldn't even convert stereo samples to/from the MPC3000 format correctly!
It would only convert mono samples!!
I told them and they kind of fixed it after a couple of months.
But there was loads of other bugs and problems.
It just feels like everything is an afterthought that simply doesn't work.
i don't know what actually does work properly; possibly EMU samplers... which I don't own, or software samplers.. which I don't use..

This is all basic stuff that I fully expected to work flawlessly.

I seriously don't know how such a mature piece of software can fail in so many ways and be so buggy.
It's because of this and many other ridiculous problems that I just gave up on it.

Awave Studio, however, works and is reliable.
Be good if they had a Mac version though.
By 3K. Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:30 am
Jimmie, having had elaborated that in your first post would've saved me those $90 I paid for this piece of s*it software and which I probably won't see again. Telling by your bug experience with Chicken Systems, it's useless waiting for a fix. I went for Translator only because it supports my everyday OS (X). Can you tell if their PC version does a better, reliable job?
By jimmie Thu May 01, 2014 6:17 pm
Yeah soz 3k.
I thought I already had mentioned it's crapness but it it turns out that I wrote in a separate thread about it.. possibly on another Forum... or summat.
By 3K. Tue May 06, 2014 3:25 pm
Jimmie, I filed a bug report over at Chicken Sys and have had good comms with them. They already solved the problem caused by sample rates other than 44.1 with an interim version of T6 they sent me, and are working on fixing the transposition that occurs when downsampling from higher bitrates. Me thinks they're dedicated on that and I made them aware of the lagging folder view issue, which is also reviewed by means of a special version spitting out detailed logs and the logs I sent them.

Long story short, please do file a bug report too, if the slow folder thing is an issue to you too. And let us know of the progress.
By jimmie Tue May 06, 2014 7:37 pm
I also had good comms with them and they fixed a few bugs that I reported, but then came more bugs... and then more.

It seems that they can't even get basic functionality correct. I mean... I reported the fact that you couldn't convert stereo samples to/from MPC 3000 format and you couldn't convert stereo .snd files to .wav or .aif and when you converted mono files, they were put in an obscure folder somewhere even though, when you specify an actual folder, it just ignored it. There were more bugs I reported that I can't remember right now.

I didn't pay so much for a program to then constantly be writing bug reports to them.

The bugs that you just mentioned are one's that I didn't even know about because I stopped using Translator a while ago. Maybe they introduced them in the meantime :lol: It wouldn't surprise me one bit.
By THE ADVERSARY Tue May 06, 2014 10:11 pm
I got Translator when it was first released and I will say it was a good idea but impractical in reality.

It tries to deal with far too many formats with more being constantly added, which would be great except they simply never got it right.

I would rather that it did 10 formats correctly than to have all these formats that are hit and miss for functionality.
By Tarelizer Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:22 pm
i had also problems with translator in the past.

every sample folder in my collection will be converted by teh OSX software SWITCH to 16bit and 44,1Khz.

Either i use MPCPGMMAKER on OSX or WAV2SND on Windows. I have to computers in my studio environment. The Windows Machine runs XP with all that tools and mainly to use the floppy or internal zip drive.

Translator worked also perfect with an ASR10, EPS16.

With my EMU Sampler it converted a Kontakt patch to an EMU EOS Bank.

i have a very old Version for Windows, think about to buy the newest version for my mac.
By 3K. Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:44 pm
3K. wrote:… Me thinks they're dedicated on that and I made them aware of the lagging folder view issue, which is also reviewed by means of a special version spitting out detailed logs and the logs I sent them. …

Version 6.0, Build 34 cured above stated issue. Hell of a difference here on my ole Mac. :wink: