Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By SimonInAustralia Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:58 am
infinit wrote:From what I've read, you can only use the PowerMonster with the BakMonolith and not the RaizenMonster? I would prefer my CF reader to be external but you cannot hot swap with the PowerMonster. Has anyone has issues with this setup, specifically not being able to hotswap?

Put the RaizinMonster in an external SCSI drive case.
By Assam99 Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:24 am
Good day!
Just tried to install it and cant get it working (got ff48:306/29/00 attention message)

Tried kingston 256mb and transcend 2gb CFs

Using os 3.5

Checked all the connections twice, jumpers on RAIZIN MONSTER are set as-it-came:
1 2 4 T
0 : : :

What can you recomend to try?
By SimonInAustralia Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:33 am
The SCSI bus/chain needs to be terminated at both ends, if there is nothing else connected after the RaizinMonster, put a jumper on the T position, to enable SCSI termination on it.

A jumper on the 1 position probably means that it is set to SCSI ID 1. If you don't have any spare jumpers, remove that jumper, to use on the T position, and without any jumpers on the SCSI ID positions it should be set to SCSI ID 0 (the 3 jumper positions would be binary).

If it is properly terminated, try formatting the CF card on whatever SCSI ID it is set to.

If it still doesn't work, try turning the SCSI multi sector transfer setting to OFF.
By Assam99 Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:40 am
Thanks, Simon!

I did what you suggest: moved jumper and turned multisector transfer to off and got the ff51 message (ff51:306/29/00 - attention to check if hd is connected and turned on)

Also none scsi device is shown as active, as i can figure out this from the screen
By 3K. Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:12 pm
I've noticed that CF cards which haven't yet been formatted in an MPC 3000, produce errors when activating them prior to initial formatting, despite setting the SCSI in auto mode. Once you've formatted the card with the SCSI ID set manually according to your jumper configuration (#1, if you kept the factory setting), you won't see this error again while using the same card (unless you f**ked it up by improper usage …). However, I've come across cards which aren't hot-swappable, and those produce SCSI errors when you try to activate them.
Long story short, CF cards not yet formatted for the 3000 need to have the SCSI manually set and then formatted without activating them first.
Last edited by 3K. on Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SimonInAustralia Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:20 pm
Assam99 wrote:Thanks, Simon!

I did what you suggest: moved jumper and turned multisector transfer to off and got the ff51 message (ff51:306/29/00 - attention to check if hd is connected and turned on)

Also none scsi device is shown as active, as i can figure out this from the screen

Maybe try with no jumper in the T position, and for whatever SCSI ID it is set to, SCSI ID 0 if no jumpers are fitted, make that SCSI ID active and try to format it.

Apparently with no jumper on the T position, SCSI termination is enabled, and putting a jumper on the T position disables it.
By dshook Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:17 am
Hey guys - question for those of you who have ordered these (and got them so quickly):

I ordered a setup for my 3k through his site / paypal a couple days ago but have received no confirmation of my order, shipping, or anything from him and I can't seen to get a reply by email. Did you get any kind of confirmation or message back after ordering or did the stuff just show up at your door?
By dshook Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:44 pm
dshook wrote:Hey guys - question for those of you who have ordered these (and got them so quickly):

I ordered a setup for my 3k through his site / paypal a couple days ago but have received no confirmation of my order, shipping, or anything from him and I can't seen to get a reply by email. Did you get any kind of confirmation or message back after ordering or did the stuff just show up at your door?

Any info would be great on this - trying to decide whether to just get the cash refunded as I still haven't heard back at all.
By Assam99 Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:12 pm
3K. wrote:I've noticed that CF cards which haven't yet been formatted in an MPC 3000, produce errors when activating them prior to initial formatting, despite setting the SCSI in auto mode. Once you've formatted the card with the SCSI ID set manually according to your jumper configuration (#1, if you kept the factory setting), you won't see this error again while using the same card (unless you f**ked it up by improper usage …). However, I've come across cards which aren't hot-swappable, and those produce SCSI errors when you try to activate them.
Long story short, CF cards not yet formatted for the 3000 need to have the SCSI manually set and then formatted without activating them first.

It seems like i have this issue, i see scsi dev active, but when i try to format cf card, it shows me error number 51 (FF51).
It doesnt matter what i try: hard, soft, mpc3000 or Hybrid partitions - its all the same

So i should try another card?
By dshook Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:42 pm
dshook wrote:
dshook wrote:Hey guys - question for those of you who have ordered these (and got them so quickly):

Any info would be great on this - trying to decide whether to just get the cash refunded as I still haven't heard back at all.

OK for the record I am an idiot - all the confirmation and tracking info was sent to me immediately but was sorted into my junkmail and I failed to check there. Looks like it's all going to make it to me today. Awesome.
By dshook Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:59 pm
OK - got it all installed today and picked up some used SanDisk Ultra II 4gb cards for a steal at the local computer recycling / tech thrift store. Everything works beautifully (saves and loads so fast at first I thought something was wrong) hot-swapping back and forth to my mac (using GE "11-in-1" USB card reader) For the record I left all the jumper settings as-is (SCSI ID #1, no T jumper), went straight to the hybrid partition formatting and remembered to turn off multi-sector whatever. Running Vailixi FYI. Some other install tips for you guys:

I had to snip a ziptie and run a power cable overtop of the adapter PCB in order to make it fit nicely, and it still sits at a bit of an angle relative to the board it's plugged into. I agree not the most elegant solution here but it's internal and it seems totally solid. Rear SCSI port is still hooked up.

There is a bit of play in the mounting setup so if you take your time before tightening everything you can get it beautifully centred in the drive opening. Also take a sharpie to the exposed metal edges as well as the exposed edges of the drive faceplate for a cleaner looking install. The card only sticks out about 3/16" when installed, no big deal.

You need to daisy-chain both of the included power cables together and use that to extend your original floppy power cable. Again not as elegant as a custom cable, but I'm sure keeps the price down by using off-the-shelf stuff and still works great.

This setup on a 3k is a no-brainer compared to the world of sourcing converters / cables / ribbon connectors / drives / cards and hoping they all work together. And it's really only marginally more expensive. Lets keep this guy in business.