Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By BoyOfVirtue Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:25 am
soundtech wrote:
BoyOfVirtue wrote:Can you post an example of what you mean?

Does it sound anything like this?

Yeah, that's exactly what it sounds like. How did you fix the problem?

It's not a recurring problem, in fact it only happened once when i had a lot of RAM occupied with sample memory...like 60+ seconds worth of samples. I think the OS becomes unstable when taken to the limits of its memory, and so something happened to make that sample corrupted. In other words, it became corrupted before I ever saved it. I only ended up saving it to my CF card to see if that would fix the issue but sadly it didn't.

It's never happened any other time to me

If this routinely happens to samples only after you save them to the CF card, something is going wrong. Try the new CF card and see if that solves the problem.
By Stoney79 Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:07 pm
- I'm thinking about getting one or two of these Raizin Monster cf drives for my Akai Mpc 3000 and Ensoniq ASR 10. However, I would like to have it installed in a external enclosure casing. The person who sells these drives also has external enclosure kits. I'm wondering if I just need to buy the Raizin Monster CF drive itself, or the bundle version with the conversion kit for the external enclosure kits they sell.
- Also was wondering if the Raizin Monster CF drives are the right model drive needed for the Ensoniq ASR 10? Any differences between CF Drives and SD Drives? Seems like CF Drives are more common with users? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :worthy: Thanks.
By richie Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:23 am
@Stoney79 I think it depends on what you find more cost effective and convenient. Personally, I do not think an enclosure "kit" should be costing you an additional $120 USD when you could easily find SCSI enclosures on eBay for less than a 1/4th of that.

CF drives are more common with sampler users simply because it was the first common format out. I do not think you'll see an actual difference in performance between CF to SD as long as you are using good quality flash media. I happen to prefer CF for reasons I cannot really explain, maybe because I've yet to have a CF card f*ck up on me where as I've had SD cards failing more - that's just me though.
By Stoney79 Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:28 am
- thanks for the reply back. I appreciate the insight. I'll look into those enclosures you talked about. However, if I go with whatever enclosure I decide on. Will I need the compact flash drive with the scsi conversion kit, or will I need just the drive. Thanks again.
By richie Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:47 am
@Stoney79 I believe the scsi conversion kits are only required if you were planning to install it internally. Since you are asking about hooking up the Monster in an external SCSI case then you would be connecting it the same way you would with a zip/jaz drive or external drive. The same thing with the ASR10.
By Stoney79 Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:49 pm
- Thanks for clearing things up. I looked on ebay for these scsi enclosures. There are a couple that look like they could work, but I'm not sure if everything inside/ outside of the enclosure is correct in specs. for me to install a drive. So is there any other sub assembly pieces I would need to make the CF drive work in the enclosure?

Thanks.
By richie Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:09 am
@Stoney79 what you need to take into consideration is what the internal connector is. So since the Monster CF and SD readers are all connected using an internal 50 pin SCSI-1 connector ribbon you could use this, which is the same enclosure that I've seen "scsi for samplers" use for 3.5" scsi card readers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMPTY-SYQUEST-I ... 2238324064

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLUB-MAC-Jazz-D ... 1985235873
^ This would also fit any of the Monster series fine but the actual enclosure here is a little too bulky for my taste, but it'll work just fine. On the flip side, you could take out the Jaz drive and save it for another sampler that has an internal SCSI connector or just sell it for $25-40 separately.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/External-SCSI-1 ... 1890431329
^ This will work as well but as it is a CD-ROM 5 1/4" Bay, you'd need to purchase a separate 5 1/4" to 3.5" slot converter to make the floppy sized Monsters fit clean.

You may also require a SCSI terminator when using an external enclosure:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-NOS-AMPHENO ... 1553985744

Other than that, if decide to use any of the ones I've listed, you'll need a Centronics 50 to DB 25 cable to connect them to the ASR10 and/or the MPC 3000.

So yeah, you have a lot of cheaper options to use as you can see.
By sorinp Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:19 pm
Just wanted to add something to this thread... After 8 months I finally got my MPC 3000 back from the shop (the technician took a leave of absence) and since I was in no hurry (as I own the MPC 2000, MPC 2000XL and the Renaissance) I patiently waited. Well... here's the story... The technician did not have time to test the unit as I rushed him on Saturday to get it out so now I have to go back because I am experiencing the following issues:

1) Loud hum in the headphones, amplified when I turn the backlight on.

2) MPC does not recognize the RaizinMonster internal card reader (SCSI 1) and I tried formatting 3 different compact flash cards by trying <Format a floppy> but I get error FF80, then <Format a SCISI hard disk> which gives me error FF48.

Regarding point #1 I can confirm that attaching a Zip drive in the SCSI port in the back kills this loud noise. But this defeats the purpose of having an internal compact flash card reader so I am puzzled. I bought the Raizin Monster after having read so many great reviews.

I am going back to the shop and hopefully he can trouble shoot what is going on. I will report back any findings.
By sorinp Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:43 am
So one problem solved today: the loud noise is gone. As many members have mentioned here, the cause was a blown SCSI fuse (F091 on the circuit board). So now the technician will tackle the other issue: the RaizinMonster internal card reader is not recognized on SCSI 1. He thinks he knows what the problem is though, apparently one grey wire in one of the ribbon cables is not delivering the necessary 12 volts. I will report back with my findings soon hopefully.
By Horseclick Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:38 am
konc3pt wrote:Does the SCSI2SD work with MPC 60 ?

im pretty sure if vimana can disable multisector transfers then yea if not then no.

it works on a 3k with vailixy with multisector transfers set to off.
By sorinp Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:17 pm
I am reporting back with my ongoing MPC 3000 problem... I am attaching a image that explains what's going on, perhaps somebody has an idea? Here is the issue:

The MPC 3000 is not working normally since I installed the RaizinMonster. In the beginning the RaizinMonster did not recognize any of my own cards so the vendor was a real gentleman and he sent me a newer 4 GB SanDisk card FOR FREE (shipping and all) to try out. And it did work because this time I was at least able to format the card into partitions of 30 MB each (letters A, B, C, etc). The SCSI ID was set to 2 for the reader. My MPC 3000 was at the shop during this time and the technician was able to record and save a sound on this new card so we assumed the problem was due to my old cards and so I took the MPC home. But now that I am home my machine freezes every time I try to save a sound or program in any of the partitions.

The two lights from the card reader are on (green and red) and the MPC screen says "Saving" but nothing happens... the machine freezes and I can't get out of this mode, all I can do is restart. I took the time to visually illustrate my problem, here is a graphic... Anybody has any ideas?

As an experiment I connected a Zip drive in the back via SCSI (tried ID #5 and 6 with and without termination) and removed the compact flash card to make sure it wasn't detected in any way, I was curious to see if I could use the Zip drive, but that did not work.

Thanks in advance for any insight. I don't honestly think it has anything to do with the RaizinMonster myself...

••• LAST MINUTE UPDATE 05:27 pm •••

I reformatted the flash card and was able to save a sound. Hallelujah I thought for a moment. Well after sampling a second sound I tried to save it also but then it froze again. I restarted the MPC, sampled again, tried to save and got the same freeze.

By Horseclick Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:33 pm
if you done the diy cable thing on the mpc and not used a internal scsi kit that allows a internal and use of the external db25 it will not work.

you recall what you did?

or ask the tech what he did and if your external db25 is still connected.