Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Phra*DOC Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:24 pm
this looks awesome, you plug it in the scsi so it should work on 2000xl too.. no soldering or anything just plug and use.. does it have any more or less hidden downsides i cant see? :P besides non hotswap but thats no big deal
By cheikhantadope Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:25 am
Phra*DOC wrote:this looks awesome, you plug it in the scsi so it should work on 2000xl too.. no soldering or anything just plug and use.. does it have any more or less hidden downsides i cant see? :P besides non hotswap but thats no big deal

Actually, it is hotswap! :nod:
By cheikhantadope Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:05 pm
I just received my RaizinMonster. I am having an issue installing it however, as the FDD power connector is on the LEFT side of the RaizinMonster, whereas my original floppy drive has its power connector on the RIGHT side. :Sigh: Long story short, the FDD power connector won't reach the RaizinMonster, and I'll have to order a power cable extension to get up and running.
By 3K. Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:28 am
4 days delivery time is bloody quick, I suppose you're not too far away from him … :wink: I'd guess it's rather 4 weeks in my case (at least to continental europe).
You might as well extend the power supply cables or buy the crimp-on pins and some wires at your local electronics store (take the connector with you).
By cheikhantadope Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:12 pm
I actually figured it out, and can confirm that the CF RaizinMonster is working well with the 3000. The Internal SCSI kit includes a male FDD power to female molex connector, while the CF RaizinMonster includes a Y connector cable (male molex to female molex & female FDD). Gave me the extra inch or so I needed. Hope this is of help to another anxious 3000 owner trying to do the upgrade. Shipping was from Japan to Cleveland, OH by the way.
By 3K. Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:09 pm
My combo of both SCSI Adaptor and CR Reader came in yesterday, my guesstimated ETA was way off :-D . Just in case someone cares to see what the innards look like in place:

The installation took about 15mins, the instructions are detailed and fool-proof. You'd have to take care in routing all cables in order not to pinch 'em anywhere, especially all around the SCSI adaptor. My setup is "active termination on" (no jumper set) and "SCSI ID1" (leaving the only jumper that came OOTB in place). I've put in the only card I had access to, a generic 32GB card. My MPC tells me there's a max of 26 partitions (A to Z) à 16/24/32/33MB each—is this all you'd get from any card above 858MB (formatted)? If so, a 1GB card should be all it takes per media as you can't address more than the figure above, right?
So far the only the no name card could be accessed, albeit any attempt of saving a file results in
"Checksum or allocation error while data transfer in progress. Stop using this disk, media or storage device to avoid further errors of this type. [FF10:306/29/00]"
I'll have to try much smaller cards I guess … :popcorn:
By 3K. Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:11 am
Thanks mate! It's a Vailixi 3.5 equipped machine. Disabling SCSI multi sector transfer mode did it, both el cheapo (Cn Memory Ultra High Speed 300x 32GB Compact Flash) and the rather expensive card (Lexar Professional 1066x UDMA7 32GB) are accessible (tested with a 30MB sized project). Read/write transfer times are way shorter; this is significantly quicker than my external original ZIP100 Drive, and I like those blinking lights during access :-D

Gonna sell my lot of ZIPs, JAZs and Drives on the weekend and buy CF cards for that money. I'm really happy for not having bought any of the former CF readers available for the 3000. Mr. Sakai (artmix.com), you did a superb job with this product! My last ZIP Disk failure almost cost me the track I'd been working on for days, sorry Iomega but I won't be coming back :smoker:
By Frico Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:26 pm
Here's mine:
Image[/URL]

It was a pretty simple install: no soldering, everything you need is included in the kit.
Image[/URL]

As mentioned upthread, there's no point in using anything bigger than a 1gig card, and Manabu recommends that you use a slower, older card. Transcend 1gig 133x cards work fine for me. I'm using Vailixi and it saw and formatted the card immediately, and the cards are also accessible on my Mac running 10.8.5. Rs-16X PGM files and samples can be copied onto the card by the mac and have all opened flawlessly in the MPC. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is hot-swapping.
By 3K. Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:10 pm
Frico wrote:The only thing I haven't figured out yet is hot-swapping.

What exactly is your problem there? I can change cards without any issues as long as the light's green (as stated in the manual).