Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By sparkdala Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:46 pm
HELP

When I load single sounds from the CF they crack/distort! It all works fine when saving/loading all seqs & sounds but when trying to load a single sound it gets all **** up.... Anyone experienced the same thing?? What to do?
By sparkdala Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:28 pm
Ran some more tests and it seems that all sounds I load from the CF card gets distorded/have a static sound on top of them!
Could this have something to do with the grounding issue or did anyone else experience this? I have a grey 3000 running Vailixi.

..... I just now re-formatted the card and before I did it activated the reader with "make scsi active" and made sure that the multi-sector thing was turned off. Now it seems to work, let's see if it stays that way, I'll post the results here again if anyone else experience the same thing

(I also used the mpc3000 standard partitions, 26x30mb A–Z, instead of the other choice (1) ... maybe that also did something good?)
By 3K. Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:59 pm
I tend to prefer 32MB/33MB partitions, as this corresponds to the 32MB RAM most of our 3000s have. You may prefer other values, being more efficient with the max. capacity of any CF card you use. Lately I chose 33MB partitions on a 2GB card (before anyone hollers, yes – capacities > 1GB make limited sense), but on a 1GB card there's other options to choose from (more partitions with smaller sizes vs vice-versa).

Your style, your choice.
By LADiego Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:14 am
After reading this thread, it sounds like the raisin monster works with the mpc3000 using the vailixi 3.50 operating system.

Can someone share their experience (success or failure) with raizinmonster and their mpc3000 using 3.10 ?

What is the best brand cf card and memory size. I assume 1 or 2gb is best. Right.

All replies are most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
By vout Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:16 pm
Hi,

I know this thread is about Artmix/Stratos products, but I think this is relevent so here goes. I had a Fuzinmonster in my 3000 - it never worked right, was very slow and eventually died on me. I replaced it with a SCSI2SD card which works perfectly, is very fast and it's half the price. I would recommend you consider that instead. I bought mine from here -

http://www.itead.cc/scsi2sd.html

Cheers, vout
By JUKE 179r Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:16 pm
vout wrote:Hi,

I know this thread is about Artmix/Stratos products, but I think this is relevent so here goes. I had a Fuzinmonster in my 3000 - it never worked right, was very slow and eventually died on me. I replaced it with a SCSI2SD card which works perfectly, is very fast and it's half the price. I would recommend you consider that instead. I bought mine from here -

http://www.itead.cc/scsi2sd.html

Cheers, vout

I bought this SCSI2SD card reader from eBay and it came with an 8GB SD card.
Going to try it out this weekend.
By richie Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:33 pm
@vout it's interesting you're saying its fast on your 3000.

Reason being that the scsi2sd support states that the MPC 3000 runs slow and only with Valixi too. I guess he improved the firmware and forgot to update the support information!
By LADiego Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:15 pm
So based on the response(s), it seems the raisin monster works with vailixi. Anyone try raisin monster with 3.10 ?

So there is another option??? . . . Scsi2sd. . . Interesting. Need to search up on this card reader. Still would like to hear from other raisin monster / mpc3000 users.

THANKS
By vout Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:43 pm
richie wrote:@vout it's interesting you're saying its fast on your 3000.

Reason being that the scsi2sd support states that the MPC 3000 runs slow and only with Valixi too. I guess he improved the firmware and forgot to update the support information!

Well, I should have mentioned I have Vailixi installed, I think the Artmix devices only work with Vailixi as well. On my 3000 the scsi2sd is much faster than the Fuzinmonster was, but I suspect that there was something wrong with my Fuzinmonster from day one now - it would not work if there was another scsi device attached (external zip) and it would take over a minute to save or load a 32MB set, the scsi2sd does it much faster using the same media.

By the way - heres a tip. I installed the scsi2sd internally (using cable ties/velcro) and used an SD card extender cable (like this - ebay item 271890578374) to put the SD card slot outside - I fed the cable through one of the ventilation holes above the power supply and fixed it in place with a cable tie, this meant I could keep the floppy drive in place and no cutting the case or fabricating a mount for the scsi2sd. It's not very elegant but works great -

ImageMPC 3000 with SCSI2SD by voutmusic, on Flickr

ImageMPC 3000 with SCSI2SD by voutmusic, on Flickr

Cheers, vout
By DeeFx Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:43 am
hi all

i read in the ebay Description. "**Please take attention of inferior copy Vailixi ROM. It occurs SCSI error. "
had anyone problems with the "fake" 3.50 which is an EEPROM chips nor EPROM like the OG.

how can I find out if I have an original Vailixi ?

regards

dee
By richie Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:21 pm
@DeeFx the "original" one would imply that you purchased it back from Rohan. I don't see how it matters at this point because if you dump an eprom, program it to another eprom then the data is 1:1 - same as the 'original'

I suspect that Artmix is trying to cover up that their stuff may not be on point.
By distortedtekno Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:21 am
I'm still considering the SCSI2SD for my MPC2000, and I'm also considering designing a faceplate kit to manufacture and sell after the new year. I'm not sure how well the SCSI2SD will work with the MPC2000 classic since nobody has confirmed anything. But whether it works or not, I still want to manufacture and sell the faceplate kits worldwide in 2016 incase anyone's interested.
By richie Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:16 am
@distortedtekno the way vout rigged his up seems good but I know you'd want a more uniform way of doing it.

Or if you're comfortable enough maybe using a dremel to shave a bit or make a small slit beside the smpte bracket and run the micro sd extension ribbon to it to have easy access to the micro sd.

I'd be interested in purchasing a uniform drop in if you made one man.
By distortedtekno Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:51 am
richie wrote:@distortedtekno the way vout rigged his up seems good but I know you'd want a more uniform way of doing it.

Or if you're comfortable enough maybe using a dremel to shave a bit or make a small slit beside the smpte bracket and run the micro sd extension ribbon to it to have easy access to the micro sd.

I'd be interested in purchasing a uniform drop in if you made one man.

My brother started a side business doing 3D printing. So when I buy the SCSI2SD, we're gonna design a faceplate and mounting rails that will look very professional and will fit any unit that you wish to install it in, whether it's bottom-mount or side-mount. The kit will be very affordable and it'll also be available in different colors. I'm not sure how long it'll take to perfect the design. But it'll be worth it for everyone looking to mount their SCSI2SD internally in their samplers or in an external SCSI enclosure.
By richie Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:45 am
@distortedtekno I believe some cat on one of those mac forums has thrown together one too, but for an earlier revision. I'll edit this post if I am able to locate a picture of it for possible reference in your endeavor man.