Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By mpc_60_wales Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:26 pm
Hey

Newbie here. I am considering getting an MPC 60, does it send midi CC? I have an MFB Tanzbar which comes with a load of CC parameters (stuff for decay on hi hats etc) which i would love to program externally using the 60. Basically i would want to treat the Tanzbar as a sound module and get the MPC to control everything about it. Possible?
By Acid Mitch Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:06 pm
Yes , the MPC60 can send CC messages.
By Shostakovich Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:05 pm
If the module sends CC, then it's as easy as hitting record on the MPC and tweaking the parameters. Just be careful you don't add too much data as there is a limit on the number of commands. Not sure the 60 has a function to simplify the amount of notes as the 3000 does.
By mpc_60_wales Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:04 pm
Week 2 with the mpc and yeah all going good...BUT -So today I got the mpc 60 to trigger the Tanzbar easily enough. Although I cant get the mpc to record any real time tweaks (to the decay etc) from the Tanzbar. All the midi is connected up etc. Any ideas on getting this to work?

Do i need to create a new track on the mpc to record CC changes on the tanzbar?

Does the MPC need to be told the specific CC of a tanzbar sound which im tweaking and trying to get it to record?

If so, where are these settings?....Any info is greatly massively appreciated.....

Also - does the 'after' function work with midi? It would be great to control the decay of a hi hat from the tanzbar using this function.
By SimonInAustralia Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:19 pm
mpc_60_wales wrote:Week 2 with the mpc and yeah all going good...BUT -So today I got the mpc 60 to trigger the Tanzbar easily enough. Although I cant get the mpc to record any real time tweaks (to the decay etc) from the Tanzbar. All the midi is connected up etc. Any ideas on getting this to work?

From the Tanzbar Sound on Sound review, it seems like the Tanzbar knobs do not send MIDI CC messages out of the Tanzbar to be recorded by the MPC...

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov13/a ... anzbar.htm
MIDI

After my exploits with the MFB 503 drum machine, I had high hopes for a generous list of MIDI CCs to try out with the Tanzbär. I was not disappointed. Firstly, a MIDI learn function is used to define the preferred drum channel. The channels of the bass and melody tracks (see the 'Volting Rights' box) are fixed at 1 and 2, but it might save you time to know (as I didn't) that the Tanzbär only listens for CCs at MIDI input 1 and on channel 10. The knobs don't transmit CCs themselves, presumably because their actions can already be recorded into patterns, but since each parameter responds to a unique CC, elaborate external manipulation is yours to command.

Also, this message on another forum says that the MIDI CC guide in the Tanzbar manual is not accurate...

http://www.subsekt.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3439
Post subject: Re: CC Data Question
Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:13 am

the question was more about CC duplication, not specific to the tanzbar. but yeah, i spoke to UWE about it, the CC guide is total mess. best ignored.
By mpc_60_wales Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:31 pm
Thanks for the reply. Damn, I might just sample the shit out of the Tanzbar and sell it!
By SimonInAustralia Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:37 pm
Do you have any other MIDI controllers/devices that send MIDI CC from their controls, such as a MIDI keyboard with faders/knobs that can be assigned to different MIDI CC numbers?

If so, plug that into an MPC MIDI input, use it's controls to control the various MIDI CC parameters which you want to record into the MPC sequencer and send to the Tanzbar.

Might be worth searching on Google for more info, I only did a quick search.
By mpc_60_wales Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:43 pm
Will look into that, cheers. Never thought of daisy chaining a device for sole control of midi cc. My set up is quite basic at the moment. I have just purchased an MPC 60, Akai S950 and a v.basic 49 key midi keyboard (with no knobs for cc)..Plus the Tanzbar for drum duties

I recently had an Octatrack. That had a midi section which allowed midi parameters to be sent to the Tanzbar and that worked perfectly. Now I accept the Octa and MPC60 are a million miles apart. But can the MPC 60 send midi cc to the Tanzbar?

Also, Im assuming the 'after' (for decay etc) feature on the 60 only works with samples and not real time midi?
By SimonInAustralia Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:51 pm
Yes, the MPC sequencer records and playback MIDI CC messages. Though, as mentioned above, being so old, and with limited processing power, you can overload it with too much MIDI data easily.

Try using Step Edit to manual enter some MIDI CC messages onto an MPC track that is set to the MPC MIDI output that is connected to the Tanzbar, see if you can get it working like that. Might have to set that track to MIDI channel 10, and connect the MPC MIDI output to the Tanbar MIDI input 1, as mentioned in the SOS review above.