Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Clint Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:19 am
Talking in the third person was a dead giveaway lol.

Cool though, hope you got the idea about using partitions.
By Robbinson Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:41 am
Clint wrote:Talking in the third person was a dead giveaway lol.

Cool though, hope you got the idea about using partitions.

Actually ... I don't use the partitions right either. Apparently my techniques in saving data is over achieved. I name all my files and in succession. My disks also don't allow more than 224 files per disk. When I got into chopping drums a few years back - I learned that I wasn't getting all the space out of my disks. I thought it was because of what I'm naming them as when I save them. But that had nothing to do with it. A disk or zip in my case can only hold 224 files. When choppin drums - especially into particular parts and saving them as numbered kits, only still can hold 224 max files. So I've just learned to adapt - went and bought more zips.
But that's a good question - when saving files on zip ... what prevents you savings files in sequential order.
By Acid Mitch Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:53 am
Robbinson wrote: My disks also don't allow more than 224 files per disk.

Don't you mean 224 files per partition ?

Robbinson wrote:
what prevents you savings files in sequential order.

Hitting the max partition size or max amount of files possible in a partition.
But even then, sounds should be saved sequentially, and it's only sounds past the limits that won't be saved.
Are you experiencing something different ?
By Robbinson Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:09 pm
Acid Mitch wrote:
Robbinson wrote: My disks also don't allow more than 224 files per disk.

Don't you mean 224 files per partition ?

Robbinson wrote:
what prevents you savings files in sequential order.

Hitting the max partition size or max amount of files possible in a partition.
But even then, sounds should be saved sequentially, and it's only sounds past the limits that won't be saved.
Are you experiencing something different ?

Yes, I meant per partition. However - I guess I am experiencing something different. I reaching the max number of partitions without using all the zip disk space … I have a few disks like that. I am naming them sequentially, Kick(81), Kick(82), Kick(83), and Snare(81)…. Feel me … and I have a few zips as well that have about 14050 left and maxed partitions have been reached … whassup with that too though?
By Robbinson Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:37 pm
But I've gotten around it. Think I'm gonna invest into a SP12 or 1200. But that won't be until later - still won't solve my zip disk conundrum. I am doing what I have always done which may be wrong but if I'm running out of disk space all of a sudden ... I feel like I have done something wrong. Not sure if a zip can fit all this into an organized mess but that's what I was trying to do. Organize and clean up my drum chops. Named them in groups or with the same matching numbers so I could know what goes to what. In the end I was stopped by partition space being maxed - how is that possible without using the entire space on the disk. Is it because I'm naming them in groups like that?
By Acid Mitch Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:50 pm
Partitions are not folders.
They are a fixed size. They act more like separate disks rather than separate folders.
By Clint Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:52 pm
You can lead a horse to water, but...

I'll leave you guy's to slug it out.

Robbinson, tell your 'mate' to RTFM.
By Robbinson Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:07 pm
Bustin out the manual. It seems because I am saving my drum chops in sets of snares, kicks, hi-hats, and rolls, they are filling up the partitions before the disk space is maxed. That is what happens when you start a drum library. If you are putting numbers on each sample and naming them the same such as kick(1) kick(2) ... this files them with their partitions. Groups them - I thought it would make sense to get all the files together on one disk. But the partitions have a better idea. How about I leave the disk alone and go buy some blank zips and floppies.
By SimonInAustralia Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:55 pm
:hmmm: I can't understand anything you are saying, really, most of it doesn't make sense to me.

I'm trying to work it out, to try and offer some help to you, but you seem too confused to make much sense of what you are trying to do.

It is not really clear what you are trying to do, or what the problem actually is. :lol:

Are you running out of space within each partition, or are you reaching the maximum number of files in each partition without using up all the space in each partition, or are you making 3 partitions on a 100MB Zip at 28MB each, and bugging out because that leaves 14MB unused on the Zip?

How many partitions are you creating on each disk, how large is each partition, how many files are you fitting in each partition, etc.?

Slow down, try to make more sense of what you are trying to do, and what others are trying to tell you.
By THE ADVERSARY Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:15 pm
:Sigh:
It has nothing to do with how you are naming, grouping or anything like that.
It's your understanding of the 60's file structure and how a partition on any type of drive works.

Your problem or your friends if that's what you want to keep calling yourself is that you haven't maxed out the space you have maxed out the number of files.
Regardless whether or not you use it as one disk or create partitions it will only hold 224 files.
So an un-partitioned drive will hold 224 files, a partitioned drive will hold 224 files per partition (224 x number of partitions).
If you are filling up your pads making drum kits then you run out of files way before you run out of space, thus the reason for making lots of partitions on a drive as small as a ZIP.
So a partition (or un-partitioned ZIP) could hold 14 banks if you only put 16 samples in it.
If you were using all 4 banks you would get 3 Programs per partition (or un-partitioned drive).

If you are just saving raw samples that aren't assigned to Programs then it would mean a straight 224 samples per partition (or un-partitioned ZIP).

Regardles of how small the samples are they still are seem as files and have to adhere to the 224.

If the 60 v3 supported Folders it would fix this, but it doesn't so you have to work within this.

This is the reason why the improved file structure of the 2kxl was such a major improvement to the OG 2k.
By Robbinson Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:33 pm
My bad - I tried explaining that yes this is both mine and my homey who have this problem. Now that I understand the file structure of the 60 - I understand moreso into it's older version and operating system. As I said though, yes I have ran out of space on the zip disk before I maxed the disk. Yes partition max was reached and yes I made 4 partitions. It's my first time trying to explain it as well to my friend. Jokes aside - it's how I have been doing my thing all along. Just couldn't explain it to the homey - I didn't know how to word it. As well I said that this is also a touch up on my learning itself. I knew that you waste zips with drums on these older units - I am asking if this is correct.
By Clint Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:41 pm
CF CARD READER.

BUY ONE.
By SimonInAustralia Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:07 pm
Clint wrote:CF CARD READER.

BUY ONE.

I don't think a CF reader will make much difference in this case, won't he have exactly the same problems with that?

Robbinson wrote:yes I have ran out of space on the zip disk before I maxed the disk. Yes partition max was reached and yes I made 4 partitions.

What exactly is the problem?

- the 4 partitions on the Zip disk are not using all the available space on the Zip disk, there is some unpartitioned space on the Zip disk that is not being used?

- within each partition, the maximum number of files per partition limit is being reached, and no more files can be saved into the partition, leaving unused space within the partition?

- within each partition, the available space is full, but you somehow think there is unused space in the partition?

- something else?
By THE ADVERSARY Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:58 pm
SimonInAustralia wrote:

BUY ONE.

I don't think a CF reader will make much difference in this case, won't he have exactly the same problems with that?

Yes he would still have the problem.
He just needs to understand the relationship of file count to drum samples.

It's not even a real problem, he just doesn't seem to understand that to get better use of a ZIP when you are dealing with just drum hits you simply CREATE MORE THAN 4 PARTITIONS.

With drum hits being small you will always run out available files before you run out of available space when you have 4 or less partitions.

You can even go as far as to make a sh*tload of partitions and put each program on a different partition.

Truth be told the number of partitions should be based on the size of what you plan to store on each partition so that it makes an effective balance of the available space.
It just like dividing a pie.
By Robbinson Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:24 pm
THE ADVERSARY wrote:
SimonInAustralia wrote:

BUY ONE.

Yes he would still have the problem.
He just needs to understand the relationship of file count to drum samples.

It's not even a real problem, he just doesn't seem to understand that to get better use of a ZIP when you are dealing with just drum hits you simply CREATE MORE THAN 4 PARTITIONS.

With drum hits being small you will always run out available files before you run out of available space when you have 4 or less partitions.

You can even go as far as to make a sh*tload of partitions and put each program on a different partition.

Truth be told the number of partitions should be based on the size of what you plan to store on each partition so that it makes an effective balance of the available space.
It just like dividing a pie.[/quote

And That! Just answered my question. It's basically what I have been doing is making 4 partitioned zips. For me it started out as an organizational thing - found out the hard way about partitions. I thank you for setting me straight - So on my next disk I will max out the partitions to fit the drum sounds.
PS. JUST COPPED AN AKAI MG614 and a 1212 - not sure which one to keep. BUT these parts pair particular to the set up I'm using. If you ever have a chance to get on - do it. I just bought a two mix set for 850.00 - The 614 is in bad condition. Rusted, and the tape recorder is busted. On the other hand the 1212 runs like it was boxed and looks brand new. The 614 is black though and the 1212 is grey - beautiful set.
Just had to share the love - and I thank you for your help.