Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By infinit Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:33 pm
I'm trying to get into the next step of production, I currently have a mpc 3000 that I sample and make beats with but can't really do anything with them because my studio setup is limited.

What I'm asking is, how do I go about completing my home studio. In lamens terms, how do I get my beats off the mpc 3000 and onto CD?

Right now I just have the 3000, a mixer, micro korg, technics 1200, and some speakers. I want to be able to mix and master my beats, any advice would be helpful.
By Lampdog Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:38 pm
By Metatron72 Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:42 pm
All you need is any even remotely modern computer, an audio interface and honestly that can be even one as cheap as $99, Presonus Audiobox USB for example. If you go cheaper you'll need to maybe record the MPC in multiple passes with track mutes due to limited inputs. But that's really not that painful just takes a bit more time.

From there you'll need an app to record to. This could be something as simple as Audacity which is free. Or luckily there is a DAW recording app called Reaper DAW that doesn't make you pay even after the demo times out and remains fully functional. II honestly recommend that app as it's way nicer an interface and features over Audacity. Even when you do pay Reaper is like $70USD or so for a personal license. And it's as I alluded to totally on an honor based system by the developers choice as an option over the draconian copy protection most developers resort to due to piracy.

It includes some some decent FX, there are tons of freeware and free lite versions of plugins so you don't need to come out of pocket there.

You could forgo an interface, but sending at least $100-$150 there is good because you'll get a serious improvement over just recording to the inbuilt sound of a computer in terms of dB levels and clarity.

But you can address all you needs for very little investment. As I've described less than $200 provided you already have a computer, even a 5+ year old one.

I use computers more than MPCs. But I have multiple MPCs and outboard gear too. So feel free to PM me about set up questions or specific top freeware plugins. Most everyone here records to a computer at some point so the whole forum is an indispensable resource too. Both for new posted questions and the very vast archives.

Lamp was slightly tongue in cheek with his reply. But serious too. An interface is your friend here for quality recordings especially on older gear and mixer setups as you have to get the sound into a recording app to finish as per your main questions. And there's a myriad of them available for all budgets or input needs.