Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By ttolleson Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:19 am
Hello!

I just finished upgrading my MPC 60 II TO OS 3.10 and installed a Gotek USB floppy emulator by following the expert instructions here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=165498

All the enhancements are working great.

However, I noticed a rhythmic, digital distortion that comes and goes with the unit (often when there's no sample being played). Occasionally when I try to sample a sound I get nothing but a distorted click and squeal when I play it. It happened before the upgrade and new drive but it seems to be worse since then (though I can't quantify how often). I've raised and lowered the gain with no change at all.

Has anyone experienced this problem? If you've solved it or know anything is appreciate a clue as to what's happening.

Thanks!

Tom
By ttolleson Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:18 am
Hey, Clint! Sorry for the slow reply.

It does not have a ram upgrade, though I was planning to buy one this week (any advice as to where to get a legit one would be appreciated). Could it be the existing ram?

Thanks,

Tom
By Clint Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:27 pm
Well that eliminates a dodgy ram upgrade as the cause. You can get brand new ram upgrade from Sequentix.com while stocks last. They are not advertised on the site, you need to make enquiries through the contact form.

Ok so my next punt is your invertor could be causing noise issues. The invertor is the small silver box that supplies the power to light the display. With the machine powered up, does it make any noise? Have you tried disconnecting the power to the invertor to see if the problem persists? The display won't be lit while testing this.

Let us know.
By ttolleson Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:19 pm
OK, so I got the hood off the unit to add the RAM upgrade from Sequentix (I waited until it arrived to kill two birds). That silver inverter you identified is buzzing like a bee. I ran the following test:

1) Sample with inverter connected > horrible noise
2) Sample with inverter disconnected > sounds fine
3) Sample with inverter reconnected > horrible noise

So seems like your guess was spot on, Clint. Any advice as to where I should locate a replacement inverter?

Thanks,

Tom
By mr_debauch Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:13 am
there is a thread talking about a new light to the mpc 60.. I forget the exact name of the thread.... but it relates to new backlights... I think (not 100% sure) but I seem to remember the guys talking about those details in that thread. I know for other samplers, people found some screen replacements that omitted the need for the original inverter, maybe someone has a way with the 60ii as well... would be cool to know.
By viacom Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:24 am
Inverters for the 60 and 3000 models are no longer made.
Occasionally one will pop up on eBay or online somewhere else.

I bought a new Nichia inverter (as back up for 3000 inverter) from VST Service a few years back, but they only had a few back in stock. You might want to enquire with them, as they may have one lying around.. I think the 60 II uses the same inverter. The 60 I uses and older one with a different build.

There have been some posts on the forums about using USB inverters, about various models to use, with pics etc. I admit I am one of the ppl who posted pics of my 60 with one of these USB inverters installed, after ordering one based on info from posts here. My screen was VERY bright from one, and the inverter was pretty quiet, but it sent a bit too much power to the backlight and actually made it hum, I had to put some cardboard in behind it to deaden the vibrations. Also, as a result of the power it used, there was a bit of noise introduced into the signal path of my 60, so I ended up taking it out.

Alternatively, I have seen a guy who fixes MPCs that has claimed to make a new, better inverter for the 60. On Facebook he is Jazzcat's Akai parts and repairs. He might be on these forums too. hit him up maybe you can get your 60 working better with a new custom inverter.
By Clint Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:03 am
By far the easiest route is to cull the inverter from an Akai S series sampler. For example S1000, S1100, S2800, S3000, S3200, S3000XL, S3200XL. All this is covered in the MPC60 Bible thread.

I have a USB inverter in my MPC60II, not noticed any noise issues or other problems so far. The power output on these USB inverters must be closely matched to the original part to minimise the risk of problems.
By ttolleson Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:40 am
Hi, Jazzcat. I definitely need one thanks! How do I get in touch with you? I'm interested in knowing the price too, though we can take it offline if you prefer.

Thanks!

Clint: after the test I mentioned, I'm pretty sure it's the screen inverter not the USB. The USB doesn't seem to make any noise probably for the reason you mentioned

Thanks everyone!

Tom
By Clint Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:51 am
ttolleson wrote:Clint: after the test I mentioned, I'm pretty sure it's the screen inverter not the USB

You lost me there, but yes your original inverter has put in a 20 year shift and isndue a replacement. Main thing is you now know what is causing the noise and it only takes a few minutes to fix.