Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By £lias Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:29 pm
I'm assuming you can't find a new mpc 3000 in 2014 (has it been 20 years already?)
so I'm kinda hoping to buy a used one sometime this year. Ah, it'll be like Christmas in 94 when you awoke with a big smile on your face to a Game Boy.
Ahem..
A few things... Your help would make a difference

1) With an mpc 3000 will I be able to
Record and Assign a few different velocity-levels of Kick samples to one pad in mpc...
or would I have to Record and Assign different velocity-levels to multiple pads?

2) Put yourself in my shoes: you already have a MIDI-controller and you're not looking for MIDI-integration from your mpc really. For your needs, it's not the point. You want an mpc 3000 cus you're a fan.
What I want to do: I will want to record certain audio samples from DAW into MPC, sequence a beat within MPC, then record beat from MPC into DAW.
Can this be done via spdif inputs and outputs?

3) If I purchase a used mpc 3000 or the limited edition one, is it stable enough to be trusted after all these years? And will I be able to get it repaired if it crashes?
I've noticed mpcstuff.com where I can get new pads and pad corx if the old pads aren't sensitive enough. Or a new LCD screen in case the old one goes out.

Can you imagine anything else I need to know...?
I'm new to the mpc game so please just let me know what you think.
Your Solutions and Opinions are welcome...though I'm hesistant to rely on answers from people I don't know well because I have a feeling one person could reflexively say: upgrade to a more recent product. But you can all understand...
I'm looking for something vintage for a reason.
Because It's seasoned.
As long as it's decent.
Don't need to be recent...
Nothing against the Ren, Maschine, and other products, I'm sure they're perfect. I just don't need a 2nd MIDI-controller. Hopefully I won't need to explain the deal to you again because I've written that twice in this post already. :-) I'm not looking for another MIDI-controller, I'm looking simply to record audio into mpc, sequence beat, record audio out of mpc.
If I need to switch up my needs, I may, but I'm someone who tries to make things work... many of you may relate to that
Thank you!!!
Last edited by £lias on Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Lampdog Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:35 am
1) Check the manual.

2) spdif mirrors analog main output, except spdif is digital.

3) Yes, yes.

£lias wrote:I'm looking simply to record audio into mpc, sequence beat, record audio out of mpc.

Any mpc can do that.
By JBM Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:49 am
Can you imagine anything else I need to know...?

If you not into Floppy Disk or Zip Disk you are gonna have to do your research on which Card reader works for you. If you can live with a floppy or zip drive than start searching Ebay for Disk.

*The sample editing is just using your ears you don't have a visual wave to look at when chopping/ editing a sound.

Check out MPCHunter.com to find a MPC3000 that's right for you.
http://www.mpchunter.com/category/mpc-3000/
By £lias Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:20 am
Thanks for the link, mpc hunter, yesss
-------
Ok I see, so the mpc 3000 doesn't really have it's own internal storage huh?
It needs a card reader. Sounds about right. Thanks, that is important to know.

I've already started the research. I notice there are old posts on this forum about card readers for the mpc 3k so I will check those out.

As far as the manual goes, I've got it pulled up right now to read...
Before I get into it...is anyone able to answer my first question?
Am I able to record the different velocity-levels of, for example, a kick sample, to only one single pad so I can use the pad's different sensitivity-levels to trigger different sounds.
I would like the answer to be: yes you can do that
By JBM Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:45 am
£lias wrote:Ok I see, so the mpc 3000 doesn't really have it's own internal storage huh?

All Akai MPC 3000 have storage capability based upon 1994 storage options unless you purchase a Akai MPC 3000 that has modification upgrades to the internal storage drives or you use an external drive.

£lias wrote:Before I get into it...is anyone able to answer my first question?
Am I able to record the different velocity-levels of, for example, a kick sample, to only one single pad so I can use the pad's different sensitivity-levels to trigger different sounds.
I would like the answer to be: yes you can do that

Akai MPC3000 Manual Chapter 6 "Creating and Editing Programs" page 121.
*Velocity Switch 1 of 3 sounds plays depending on velocity.
By £lias Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:54 am
Yo thank you thank you, finding that page made the reading a bit easier. it's been great reading this manual. Everything seems highly customizable on this legendary machine. I bet you all love it.

Are you mpc 3K guys using mpc editor to load your samples into the machine?
If so, hopefully it's intuitive and simple to place 3 different samples on one pad at the 3 different velocity-levels.
The editor looks good, I noticed you need to convert from wav to another format and then vice-versa as you transfer files. More than happy to do that.

You have answered my questions. The uncertainty remaining is about card readers...

I've noticed that compatibility is something to look for.
Mpcstoragesolution.com seems to provide good products and ensure compatibility is taken care of.

Having watched a vid tutorial about this, I want to double check with you,
Do I need one card reader for my mpc and a different one for my PC?

I guess I'll just go to the guys at mpc storage solution when it's time to buy. Hopefully they'll have all the pieces ready to go, the compact flash card and the card reader(s)
By JBM Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:14 am
£lias wrote:Are you mpc 3K guys using mpc editor to load your samples into the machine?
If so, hopefully it's intuitive and simple to place 3 different samples on one pad at the 3 different velocity-levels.
The editor looks good, I noticed you need to convert from wav to another format and then vice-versa as you transfer files. More than happy to do that.

On the MPC3000 you can't place 3 different samples on One Pad with the Akai OS 3.11.
The 1 of 3 sounds are linked by multiple pads with one sound assigned to each Pad.

In the Pic below Pad A1 has a Soft snare that is linked to Pad A6 Smack snare and Pad B16 Goliath Snare. Once the Velocity of pad a hits 64 and not higher than 109 the Smack snare will be trigger and not the original Soft snare. If the pad is triggered higher than 110 the Goliath snare will trigger. For anything below 64 the soft snare will trigger.

============ Select Program ===========
Active program:24-PROGRAM NAME
========== Assign Note:37/A01 ==========
Sound:Soft snare (ST) Mode:VEL SW
If over: 64 ,use:38/A06-Smack snare
If over:110 ,use:39/B16-Goliath snare
=================================
<Play>

In Program window Mode: Normal, Simult, Velocity Switch , Decay Switch

1. NORMAL:
Only the sound in the Sound field plays when the selected MIDI note number is received.

2.SIMULT (Simultaneous):
This option allows up to two additional sounds to play automatically whenever the note number specified in the Note field is received—useful for creating layered

3.VEL SW (velocity switch):
This option permits one of three sounds, either the main assigned sound or two others, to play depending on the velocity level of the note played.

4.DCY SW (decay switch):
This option permits one of three sounds to play depend- ing on the value of the Decay field in the “Envelope, Velocity, Tune...” screen. However, if any drum notes contain Note Variation decay data, it will override the Decay field’s for that note only. (The Envelope, Velocity, Tune... screen is accessed by pressing the PROGRAM/ SOUNDS key and selecting option 2.)
By £lias Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:05 am
Viacom, thank you, yeah I changed my mind on that early on, and you got it exactly right. The spdif aren't what's needed if what i want is the mpc 3000 sound.

JBM, I def read that earlier and now that you've posted it again and explained it briefly it's registering fully. The samples are assigned to different pads but can be triggered by the one pad after they've been linked manually. Thank you
I'm lovin it, layering, filtering, editing attack and delay envelopes, tuning, all the things I've been doing in my DAWs for a long time. Better late than never to get a classic mpc.

I guess I just need to be on the lookout for a deal on eBay, etc with
the card reader formatting and other issues already figured out,
suitable OS compatibility and PC compatibility for the flash card,
Working LCD screen and backlight
And sensitive, operable pads

They're out there so thank you all for letting me know what I need to look out for.

And what's the deal with so many limited edition mpc 3ks on the market!? I thought they would be mad rare and hard to find... I guess because there's only 2000 of them made, people figure they'll just pass em on and sell it to you at a high price!
By Clint Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:53 am
£lias wrote:I will want to record certain audio samples from DAW into MPC, sequence a beat within MPC, then record beat from MPC into DAW. Can this be done via spdif inputs and outputs?

The MPC3000 has stereo S/PDIF input only. There are no digital outputs of any description on the machine.

All audio goes through the digital-to-analogue conversion stage prior to output. As mentioned earlier, to get the highly regarded "MPC3000 sound", you're advised to make use of the analogue inputs.

However, comparisons between audio sampled via the MPC3000 analogue inputs and audio sampled via the MPC3000 S/PDIF inputs are thin on the ground. The debate about which inputs to use to achieve the "MPC3000 sound" will continue until a scientific comparison and/or frequency analysis test provides evidence to support the argument, one way or another.

More info on MPC3000 Analogue Vs S/PDIF input.

lifesabatch wrote:If I want that MPC sound coloring my sample, I go analog. If I want the sample to sound exactly how I have it in pro tools, I go digital.

mpc3000le wrote:
L. Tombstone wrote: I myself believe in utilizing good A/D conversion from the source to the MPC so I ususally go SPDIF in.

Same thoughts here when the situation allows or requires.

Like... From my CDPLAYER directly into the MPC3000 via SPDIF.

Or.

My Apogee AD8000SE into the MPC3000 via SPDIF. Where the AD8000SE is fed from a mic-pre or the bus outputs of the mixer.

L. Tombstone wrote:If the application is less critical, I rough it with the analog ins.

Don't under estimate the performance of an MPC3000 A/D stage. The A/D circuitry inside the beast is top class for it's type. By no means is it Apogee, but by no means is it "rough" either.

L. Tombstone wrote: However, I do have an Apogee Rosetta in my audio chain, so there is some benefit to my particular method when going SPDIF.

I agree. Sonic disruptors from the Apogee class of weapons are never to be under estimated.

Whilst the MPC3000 ( and many other samplers ) A/D stages are not up to the quality of certain mega dollar external units it doesn't mean that they are bad either.

If you have a high spec Apogee, Lucid, Benchmark or what ever type of A/D convertor box then you would be silly not to take advantage of the sonic performance increase that it would provide your MPC3000 ( or other sampler ) with.

L. Tombstone wrote: Good audio conversion is very underrated considering we are talking about digital audio recording and tech., but anyway, what's the word???

In my situation I take advantage of what ever hi-spec stuff is within reach.

Rohan.
By marrelarre Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:10 am
To answer your question regarding MPC-editor ive never used it, Im happy as it is with just sampling into the 3k and chopping there, seems like quite a hassle to go back and forth to the computer.

Also Worth knowing is that theres no EQ or high pass filter so sampling stuff with low end you wanna get rid of will require external gear such as a studio mixer with EQ.

having said that I love my 3k, very stable, never crashed, great feel, I wouldnt trade it for anything.

The 3k sound is overrated tho, you wont notice any difference from how it sounded on vinyl. shit in > shit out, dope in > dope out basically. It has a quite punchy alive sound tho but its not different from what you sampled.
By Clint Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:52 am
£lias wrote:I'm assuming you can't find a new mpc 3000 in 2014 (has it been 20 years already?)

Maybe not brand new, but barely used in the box with packaging, MPC3000/LE's do appear on ebay from time to time. I copped one recently, but you gotta be a hawk to find one like that. Also the LE is the same, but younger, so that would be my choice.

Not mine, but like this...