Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By £lias Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:32 am
Ah, I see.
Well, considering you don't know what's really going on, I'll assume you're taking a general stance and not a stance specific to my situation, which you don't know about 8)

Maybe it would be better to talk more about the MPC, JBM raised a good point...I'd like to know how and why the MPC's filtering is the best thing for it's sound
Thanks for a lively discussion guys
By Lampdog Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:57 am
Maybe it's best for him (jbm).

Maybe it adds the sonic character that many seek.

Maybe it just sounds **** good.

You will never know until you try it with several different sounds, loops, riffs, etc.
By £lias Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:44 pm
Yo actually it was JBM who originally asked the interesting question.
It was Adversary who gave out that specific info.

JBM wrote:
THE ADVERSARY wrote:The big thing about the 3k sound is learning how to use the filter on EVERYTHING you sample.
It's what makes the 3k knock.

Good info. Can you explain more in detail on this technique of using the filter applied to everything you sample?

Because not all of you know the answer I'm just re-asking the question for him
By £lias Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:40 am
Filtering on mpc as the main go-to effect; interesting
Surely many of you DAW users know what filtering a sample means normally, because you've filtered sounds many times before via software
But if the suggested idea here is true, that filtering on the mpc gives every sample extra mpc color or glue or punch, you would wanna remember that fact, changes everything
By JAYCEE3K Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:34 pm
I'm not knowledgeable enough to thoroughly articulate the technical aspects behind how or why using the mpc3k filter gives certain characteristic results it gives. I've put many DAW filters to use before and got satisfactory results i suppose. But it wasn't until i got my mpc 3000 that all of a sudden using the filter produced way more compelling results.... certain samples when playing back lowly and some filtering applied gave a distinguishable 'mmm, rich, delicious' effect. Would also like to know why that is...and possibly why my ears love it so much.
By marrelarre Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:10 am
I use the filter on everything I sample.

Kicks filtered to around 40-50 with resonans knock crazy.

Also I love to leave the filter completely open (100) on my main samples and then add resonans to enhance the highs & crackles, try it out! :nod: 100 filter + 5-10 res can make a huge difference.
By THE ADVERSARY Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:14 pm
The reaction to my statement about using the filters on the 3k clearly shows that the 3k is a collectors item for most of you guys.
There is pretty much no way 3k owners are really using their 3k and don't understand the use of the filter.
:Sigh:

I guess for some the 3k is about saying you have one?
By marrelarre Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:34 am
THE ADVERSARY wrote:The reaction to my statement about using the filters on the 3k clearly shows that the 3k is a collectors item for most of you guys.
There is pretty much no way 3k owners are really using their 3k and don't understand the use of the filter.

then teach us oh you all-knowing guru of filters, infuse us with your wisdom :worthy:
By JBM Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:05 am
THE ADVERSARY wrote:The reaction to my statement about using the filters on the 3k clearly shows that the 3k is a collectors item for most of you guys.

I actually use my 3K more than my Ren or any other MPC that I own at the moment. I apply 3K filters on drums and some samples when I feel the need. I just never went in a creative direction of filtering everything within the beat to get that "it's what makes the 3k Knock" as you stated.

I asked the question in regards to adding more substance to thread to educate myself and others of the technique. You think the OP is the only one who is interested in the 3k? I'm sure there are more users who read the threads and maybe on the fence of deciding to invest in a 3K.

I always take a Learner's Mindset approach when it comes to music. So if you gonna speak on your board statement of filtering everything technique then do so with some facts. If not keep it moving and don't try to downplay play other MPC3k users with that collectors item B.S.