Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Clint Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:03 am
It was more than one person, including people who know what they're doing. Some people cant even get it to work with 3.xx. So I cant say definitively which OS it works with at this point.

Still good news for people who don't want their money going to Roger because they are on a budget. Floppies can be a right PITA sometimes.
By enchilada Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:38 am
Received my LED backlight in the mail today. Looks to be about the correct size. I'll see how I go installing it and report back with photos. If this works out it'll be a super cheap way to replace your backlight on a MkII 60. From memory the MkI has a slightly larger screen so it may or may not be a solution for it.

As always, stay tuned.
By enchilada Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:39 am

You know it!!!
By SimonInAustralia Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:44 am
enchilada wrote:Received my LED backlight in the mail today. Looks to be about the correct size. I'll see how I go installing it and report back with photos. If this works out it'll be a super cheap way to replace your backlight on a MkII 60. From memory the MkI has a slightly larger screen so it may or may not be a solution for it.

Photos and details of the backlight?
By enchilada Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:58 am
Calm down, after close inspection it turns this isn't an LED backlight. It's an EL just like the one that it came with :WTF:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331275852023?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161209107330?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I read "LED alternative for Akai sampler" as this being an LED alternative to EL. Turns out they mean using EL as an alternative for LED. Which is weird because I've not come across another LED backlight.

Either way, US$14.43 to replace the backlight and inverter has kept me happy.

It's pretty easy to do. Firstly, I removed the cable from the power supply to the existing inverter. I used my multimeter to confirm that the cable with the red lines on it is negative and the other is positive.

I cut the cable, soldered the new cable from the new inverter and used a little heat shrink to protect it.

The backlight plugs directly into the inverter.

There's a little switch on the side of the inverter which has three positions: off, flash and on.

Unscrew the display PCB

The existing EL slides out nice and easy

Slide in the new one

Screw the PCB back into the housing and my display is nice and bright now
By enchilada Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:06 am
If you watch the YouTube video I've just done you can see that this has clearly made a massive difference.

It also has eliminated a high pitched noise coming from the original inverter so that's made me happy.
By Clint Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:23 am
I thought he had one of the elusive Sequentix screens coming.
By SimonInAustralia Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:47 am
Clint wrote:I thought he had one of the elusive Sequentix screens coming.

:lol: I was expecting some sort of mysterious LED backlight that would replace a normal EL backlight.
By enchilada Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:02 am
I'm still working on some stuff :wink:
By Clint Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:17 pm
Looking good though Enchilada.

I like to follow 'live' refurbs; you never know what you'll encounter along the way. You've already been a great help to the community by confirming the Gotek with 2.12.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
By enchilada Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:15 am
Yep, it's too big.

Had big plans for it but it's hard to justify keeping it when I've got an S2800 and an MPC Studio. I do love the sound but I just don't find myself using it that much. I've also got an MPC500 nowwhich is great because I can bang out ideas and work on then more in the PC.

As you can tell from the price though, part of me still doesn't really want to sell it :-P
By Clint Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:44 am
After following this thread with anticipation, I somehow get the impression of being firmly out of the loop. All of a sudden there is talk of selling? It's too big? I can't justify keeping it?
By enchilada Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:49 am
I've listed it on eBay and gumtree.

I really like it but I'm not sure I need it. It's a banging machine to work on for the sonic benefits butit's becoming difficult to justify when I have other pieces of gear that accomplish the same task. I don't want top be I've of those guys who keep gear for the sake of keeping out even though it'snot being fullyutilised. The MPC deserves a fate better than that and if I'm not going to use it then I should allow someone else the opportunity to.

Refurb wise, aside from cosmetic things there's nothing else I couldpossibly do with it It's avery clean MPC now.