Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By jibber Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:35 pm
Is this a joke?

Not sure, seems like a joke?

Clearly, a lowpass filter can't be that complicated it needs a "for dummies" book/topic??
By Clint Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:06 pm
jibber wrote:Clearly, a lowpass filter can't be that complicated it needs a "for dummies" book/topic??

Err...viewtopic.php?f=42&t=166922

A filter is a filter, regardless of its type. Nobody said it was complicated either. People use different techniques on different types of sample, to get different results. I'm glad there are some experts here willing to discuss their thoughts on the first MPC to have a filter built-in.

Not everyone is expert in understanding the technical aspects of what the MPC3000 LP filter can do and its application in a real world setting. Some may not understand what RESONANCE is, what the controls of an ENVELOPE do, or even what 12 DB PER OCTAVE actually means. People discuss filters here all the time, that doesnt mean they don't know how to use a filter, it means there is interest in learning and sharing information.

The "for dummies" connection was a joke stemming from a recent thread that evolved into discussion about filters. Hopefully that discussion can continue here, if anybody actually uses their so-called "collector's item".
By davehate Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:32 am
I just came up on a 3000 for 290$...works/looks mint...learning curve wasn't too bad but stuff like this guide would help a lot! Looking forward to it :)
By Peoplelikeus Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:45 am
This is a good post Clint! I personally love the low pass fillter on the 3000. Although I don't fully understand it. I just play about until I get the sound I want. Does anybody know if it is possible to get the Wah Wah effect using the fillter?
By JAYCEE3K Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:26 am
Closing the filter to a value around 75-80 + turning resonance up to value of about 5-7 is often a sweet spot for me with most samples used for flipping. Adds a subtle, but noticeable difference in terms of increasing the 'warm' feel. I apply this to almost every time. Depends on the sample tho.
By Acid Mitch Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:30 pm
mpc_60_wales wrote:Is there any point in getting a filter for the 60 (using the echo send/return).

Only if you want to filter stuff.

Normally filters get used as inserts, but it'll work with the send/return loop also.

mpc_60_wales wrote: Is the signal never wet?

The signal can be wet or dry when you want it to be . The choice is yours..