Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Clint Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:57 pm
First, check the listing here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171430766802? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Ok so it's not "new" as in brand new in sealed box, but appears to be as close to new as you're likely to find. I understand it was used "a few times" to test it and that's all. Still has the original box, disks, manual and inserts. It has OS 2.12 installed which tells me that it was one of the last Mk1's out the factory.

Now the question here is this, is an MPC60 in this "Museum/Collectors condition" worth the price of an average, well beat SP1200? If somebody pays the price and uses the machine like any other, it will immediately devalue the machine to a certain extent. Having said that, its an opportunity to buy a "new" MPC60 for less than half the original retail price.

I have seen well used, but very good condition MPC60 MK1's sell for £1200-1300 at the top end, with and without any upgrades. But this is different, very different indeed. The sampling equivalent of a 'barn find'. So why hasn't anybody hit 'Buy it now" on this once in a lifetime opportunity?

Sellers other items include £50,000-60,000.00 worth of mint gear. I wonder what the story is here...
By medearis Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:04 pm
I've never really thought the 60 was a pretty machine until I looked at that picture. That is a sexy piece. Who ever scores this one needs to treat her well. :nod:
By Tag One The Fader Fiend Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:25 pm
Got to agree with you Clint, that's the cleanest MPC60 I've ever seen. Don't think there is anything sinister with it, but it is strange nobody has hit the "buy now button" Just wondering if the people watching are holding out and playing the old waiting game until for the seller to drop the price?
By Clint Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:42 pm
I think most watchers are just interested to see how the listing turns out. Only certain types will have that amount of loot sitting around and willing to spend it on an MPC60. After all, you could get two or three MPC60's for that money. I reckon it will be an ebay "private" sale. If I bought it, I wouldn't want to use it, but then I wouldn't need to. I thought about it, but as the saying goes "you can't take every opportunity that comes up, you gotta be selective".
By amenphetamine Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:05 pm
Clint wrote:It has OS 2.12 installed which tells me that it was one of the last Mk1's out the factory.

Where did you get this info from? The listing says SW version 2.02

Clint wrote:Sellers other items include £50,000-60,000.00 worth of mint gear. I wonder what the story is here...

The story is that he copped this unit for 800 EUR shipping included.
And now selling it for double the price minus the OG box >>> link

By the way, here is the cleanest MPC60 I've ever seen on the internet.
Sold for less then 1100 EUR plus shipping (best offer accepted) >>> link

By Coz Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:48 pm
ZWUKOLOW wrote:The story is that he copped this unit for 800 EUR shipping included.

Looks to be the same one minus a few bits of tape on the clear folder holding the disks and the numbered sticker under the slider, which he conveniently hasn't photographed in any detail.

For £1350 I'd want the smashed up drive replaced and all options fitted personally.

The unused 3K that showed up a while back was a lot more appealing to me, and worth paying a premium for. 8)
By amenphetamine Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:24 am
Coz wrote:Looks to be the same one minus a few bits of tape on the clear folder holding the disks and the numbered sticker under the slider, which he conveniently hasn't photographed in any detail.

Right, but after better inspection (diff viewing angles) you can still spot some discoloration (bits of glue?) under the slider. Yellow spots near the power connector/voltage selector are matching as well.

ZWUKOLOW wrote:For £1350 I'd want the smashed up drive replaced and all options fitted personally.

This..
By jibber Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:22 am
I think anybody who wants an MPC60 will prefer one with a few scratches for a third of the price, that's why nobody is buying it. Maybe some collector with too much money will turn up.

My MPC60 is in almost mint condition. If i cleaned it well, i think it would look brand new as well (not a single scratch on it). I paid 700 swiss francs for it in 2011 i think. It had stock Memory and OS2.12 without SCSI. It now has all the upgrades except SCSI... so somebody wants to buy it? I'll let it go for 1349 quid. :twisted: :wink:
By Clint Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:44 pm
ZWUKOLOW wrote:
Clint wrote:It has OS 2.12 installed which tells me that it was one of the last Mk1's out the factory.

Where did you get this info from? The listing says SW version 2.02

My bad, typo's happen.

Well spotted ZWUKOLOW!!

He has the box and inserts, I asked. When I asked about the history, dude said he didn't know. That rang a few alarm bells for me. The listing doesnt say how long he had it or even that he used it or anything.

These German listing are not appearing in my European searches, gotta sort that lol. God only knows what goodies I could be missing out on. The ebay uk search really sucks donkey balls IMHO.
By SimonInAustralia Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:26 pm
There used to be an option in the Australian eBay advanced search to select Loctated In "Any Country", which would show items wherever they are located, the **** took that away around the same time they removed the * wildcard.

Though I think I noticed that the * wildcard started working again recently, might have been only temporary though.
By 3K. Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:25 pm
Clint wrote:
ZWUKOLOW wrote:
Clint wrote:These German listing are not appearing in my European searches, gotta sort that lol. God only knows what goodies I could be missing out on.

You may use your existing login credentials to log into any ebay site they have. :nod:
By soundtech Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:59 pm
i will post a picture with a 60 i have which is in amazing condition itself. not in new condition like this but the price wasn't near this either.

this is a museum 60 right there. i wouldn't buy that unless i was a collector and didn't need to use it and with money sitting around doing nothing.

i had my run of buying 60s so not tempted at all but must admit it looks amazing.
By Shostakovich Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:23 pm
Clint wrote:its an opportunity to buy a "new" MPC60 for less than half the original retail price.

Indeed. Because if you adjust for inflation, the current price here would have been around £570 in 1988. Bargain!