Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Dustyfinga1.0 Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:37 am
contrast off? And if so, does the humming remain quiet, like when you first power up? I'm sure this has been discussed in detail in the past, but I can't seem to find any links to this issue. I have a new backlight, but after long sessions that damn humming starts to drive me nuts. Sorry for my stupid question in advance, I know how you all like to hate.
By 3K. Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:31 pm
Dustyfinga1.0 wrote:contrast off? And if so, does the humming remain quiet, like when you first power up? I'm sure this has been discussed in detail in the past, but I can't seem to find any links to this issue. I have a new backlight, but after long sessions that damn humming starts to drive me nuts. Sorry for my stupid question in advance, I know how you all like to hate.

Same here. You should tell us whether the hum bleeds into the headphone output or not. If not, try pressing hard on the inverter casing when you open up the MPC—if that affects the hum, the inverter needs to be replaced.*

*I'm currently considering opening the inverter casing and add proper glue to stop the resonant oscillator circuitry found in inverters to vibrate audibly, it might be more straightforward to replace it anyway. My inverter puts out 145V (but brightness is related to frequency and amplitude, as theory goes). Even after installing a high-quality backlight from Matt White, I still need it to be brighter, so I suspect an exchange is due anyway (in the long run). Not having a reference MPC to verify, it might as well be as bright as it gets. Still the hummer needs to be sorted out.