Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Dustyfinga1.0 Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:33 pm
Mxlvxnn wrote:what did you use to clean? I would assume regular rubbing alcohol isn't recommended.

I used a little soap and water with an old toothbrush for the grimy parts. I wouldn't use rubbing alcohol.
Don't know if it will help anyone, but after researching the volume pots, I was able to find them INSTOCK through "Numark's" parts depart. $4.00+$7.00 for shipping. Better than on ebay or mouser for pots that I'm not totally sure will work.
By Dustyfinga1.0 Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:28 pm
Beatdiggerjazzcat wrote:I have a few bits for the 3000.
What do you need?

Hey Jazzcat. I think I'm good now. I let you know when I need more stuff. Thx.
By Clint Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:09 pm
APH wrote:Seriously consider buying an S3000/XL. Great for spare parts and they come cheap.

Not only that, S3000XL files can be loaded straight into the MPC3000. So you can use the superior sampling facilities of the rack, and load the resulting files in your MPC. Best of both worlds!
By Dustyfinga1.0 Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:13 pm
ImageImage

Got it done! Works perfectly. MPC3000=$130, Screen=$32, Backlight $50, Volume Pot=$12, Knobs=$15, Screws=$2
$241 Total.

Thanks Clint, I really appreciate the screens!!
By Clint Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:38 pm
Screen looks beautiful, glad I could help out :wink:

Can you point out the thread with instructions for fitting the screen properly...

I spotted the baby MPC on the shelf, is that for Dustylittlefinga1.0?
By THE ADVERSARY Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:14 pm
Dustyfinga1.0 wrote:
THE ADVERSARY wrote:
Dustyfinga1.0 wrote:
she said she was the original owner and got it in NYC brand spanking new. I could tell she really hated to see it go.

Should have asked her what the h*ll she had been doing with it to put it in such bad shape? :Sigh:

Well Adversary, lets just say I saw (smelled) cats, kids, and smoke of all sorts. Once I got it home and opened it up, I found weed stems inside the note variation slider, a partially burned zigzag, and some random spillage in the corner near the screen. (I think beer?? hopefully not cat piss!) That was just upon opening the case!!
Once i got everything stripped down and all the buttons off etc. I discovered an orange rounded looking thing rattling around below the power connection, so I proceeded to flip it upside down and give it a shake and what do you know, out came a cap to a hypodermic needle. (WTF right??) :WTF:
Needless to say, its been an interesting rebuild so far. Now I just have to wait for some parts and get this sucker back together. I'm planning to post some more photos when my crappy internet provider gets their head out of their arse!

D@mn it was a rescue mission for sure.
I think treating a MPC like that is definitely worse than animal abuse. :vomit:

You were very fortunate to get the screen cheap and then not find some unknown functional problems after you were up and running.
By Dustyfinga1.0 Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:27 pm
Clint wrote:Screen looks beautiful, glad I could help out :wink:

Can you point out the thread with instructions for fitting the screen properly...

I spotted the baby MPC on the shelf, is that for Dustylittlefinga1.0?

http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=140344

I used this as a reference point. Good information on what not to do...I knew that the only part I really needed to replace was the glass, so I planned on going with the least invasive route. (I tested the NANOX PCB and found it to work, so I didn't mess with any of the wire connectors or harnesses.) With that said, I informed Mr.White on what I was planning on doing, and he gave me great advice:

1. Don't remove the rubber conductive material on the top or bottom of the glass!
2. Use isopropyl alcohol to clean the contacts on the PCB which make contact with the rubber conductive strips.
3. When putting it back together, start with the tabs in the corner, then do the OPPOSITE corner, then do the middle ones to distribute the pressure evenly without putting any unwanted stress on the new glass!

Yes Clint, that is my little guys favorite noise maker at the moment!
By Clint Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:55 pm
Nice you did a good job, quickly, no messing about. Assuming she will be sold you will be rewarded for your efforts. Little man might want an MPC500 for Christmas !!!
By Dustyfinga1.0 Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:13 pm
Clint wrote:Nice you did a good job, quickly, no messing about. Assuming she will be sold you will be rewarded for your efforts. Little man might want an MPC500 for Christmas !!!

My significant other wants me to sell it, but I'm not going to!! :fku: My Pristine, factory fresh MPC3000 will get further pampering treatment (ie. Jazzcat's card reader) and I will have two 3k. A little much, but **** it, I love these machines. Little man will have to learn on my 2000xl just like his daddy. Thx for your help fellas :!: