Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Dustyfinga1.0 Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:55 pm
Title says it all. It needs a little love and I'll probably need some help tracking down some parts, but all in all it fires up and works. She smells like she has been a chain smoker since birth, but she is starting to clean up nicely. As you can see in the photos I'm going to need a new LCD screen, so if you have one to offer for sale I would be interested. (Clint, Jazzcat, all you parts guys!). So, I've read posts in this forum since 2003 and there have been stories of people finding incredible deals on MPC's and I've always been skeptical, but damn, it really can happen just like when digging and you come up with the goods. Props to the community for your help in advance!
http://postimg.org/gallery/1l0j50oc/
By Dustyfinga1.0 Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:44 pm
Dave_Mode wrote:$130.00? Congrats .. gotta be the steal of the year. Mpcstuff.com has an LCD: http://www.mpcstuff.com/lcd-screen-for- ... d-mpc.html
Knobs for stereo and record pots too.

Yeah, I've checked all the "typical" places that stock some replacement parts, but I know I'm going to need not just the backlight but the LCD assembly with the glass piece because it is cracked.(mpcstuff.com is out of stock) I am hoping someone within the forums can help me with a part number for a broken potentiometer for the record gain. I am checking on Mouser.com but I want to make sure I get the right one... :hmmm:
Now aside from that and the LCD replacement, I think she will be ready to be commissioned. I do think I got the deal of the year, and I'm stoked to have been able to purchase it on the cheap, but I can't help but feel bad for the person who I purchased it from. I'm pretty sure they had a serious substance abuse problem and I wanted to help them out as much as I could, but what is a fella to do? right? :|
By Clint Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:17 pm
All I can say is...Wow!

Yes I have some LCD screens pulled from Akai S3000XL, currently on the bay. You probably find any parts easier in the US to be honest. I don't really hold MPC3000 parts, but Jazzcat does from time to time. Considering the money you spent on the machine, you can afford to shop with MPC Stuff or VST and still come out on top.
By Dustyfinga1.0 Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:17 am
C-Quence wrote:dammmm dude. Youre in Denver right? I hit that guy up on craigslist and he would not respond. I hit him up multiple times and offered to pay $300. SMH, Good for you bro. That is truly a come up

Yeah C-Quence that is the one. It was actually a femme that sold it to me; she said she was the original owner and got it in NYC brand spanking new. I could tell she really hated to see it go. That's business though.
Ok, hopefully I have the LCD stuff squared up, so the only thing I can't seem to find any info on is replacing the broken pot. i've searched past threads to no avail. Has anyone else replaced them on a 3K? If so where did you find it, and do you have the technical specifications on it, so I can purchase one on mouser.com or MPCstuff.com?
Thx.
By THE ADVERSARY Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:35 am
Dustyfinga1.0 wrote:
she said she was the original owner and got it in NYC brand spanking new. I could tell she really hated to see it go.

Should have asked her what the h*ll she had been doing with it to put it in such bad shape? :Sigh:
By C-Quence Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:06 am
From my experience it will be difficult to find a pot. Your best bet is to keep checking in with vst. That is the only place I have found them but they have been out of stock for a while. They are no longer in production and the ones sold by mouser or anywhere else are too short. You may get lucky and find someone parting out a 3000 or maybe someone may have a spare.
By davehate Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:41 pm
Yooo! Awesome deal! I scored mine at 300 almost mint..just missing one side molding..but this is killer.Craig's list is a real slept on asset for digging
By Dustyfinga1.0 Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:15 am
THE ADVERSARY wrote:
Dustyfinga1.0 wrote:
she said she was the original owner and got it in NYC brand spanking new. I could tell she really hated to see it go.

Should have asked her what the h*ll she had been doing with it to put it in such bad shape? :Sigh:

Well Adversary, lets just say I saw (smelled) cats, kids, and smoke of all sorts. Once I got it home and opened it up, I found weed stems inside the note variation slider, a partially burned zigzag, and some random spillage in the corner near the screen. (I think beer?? hopefully not cat piss!) That was just upon opening the case!!
Once i got everything stripped down and all the buttons off etc. I discovered an orange rounded looking thing rattling around below the power connection, so I proceeded to flip it upside down and give it a shake and what do you know, out came a cap to a hypodermic needle. (WTF right??) :WTF:
Needless to say, its been an interesting rebuild so far. Now I just have to wait for some parts and get this sucker back together. I'm planning to post some more photos when my crappy internet provider gets their head out of their arse!
By Dustyfinga1.0 Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:18 am
davehate wrote:Yooo! Awesome deal! I scored mine at 300 almost mint..just missing one side molding..but this is killer.Craig's list is a real slept on asset for digging

Nice Davehate. That side piece is probably a total pain in the ass to find. Have you found one? Nice beat btw.
By davehate Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:17 pm
Naw..cant find one and the couple I have are stupid money..im a carpenter so when I got off my ass im gonna make sides..and im gonna piss off every wood panel seller by selling them for twenty bucks lol..its really not hard to make with right tools. That beats old but thanks I got to update me poor soundcloud lol