Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By blackbeard Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:40 pm
Finally got the backlight installed, pretty easy, besides the actual circuit board that holds the backlight seems to be different ? I had to twist 10 metal tabs in order to release the metal casing that goes over the back light. Made by SHARP.. is this OEM? regardless it works great, and looks good. I opened her up and did a check up, got the Marion Systems SCSI interface. legit 3.10 chips, and max memory. :lol:

By viacom Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:55 pm
Are you talking about just the backlight or a whole new screen? Made by sharp?
By viacom Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:03 pm
NVM, the Sharp Screen is the OG MPC60 version. for future ref, you don't need to actually take the screen apart with those tabs, you should be able to just pull out the old backlight, and slide the new one in from the side.
By blackbeard Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:24 pm
Yeah I was going to try that but didn't seen like enough room to slip the backlight in and out. Only thought it was different because the ones I've seen on YouTube backlight replacement tutorials had less microchips on the back.
By Clint Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:49 pm
blackbeard wrote:Finally got the backlight installed, pretty easy... I had to twist 10 metal tabs in order to release the metal casing that goes over the back light]

I wouldn't recommend anyone to do that. I did the same thing once and totally **** up a perfectly good ASQ10 display. Those tabs provide the pressure needed for the lcd text to display properly. Once you loosen those tabs it is extremely difficult to align the contact strip and replace the tabs with the correct amount of pressure. The result, missing text and numbers with lines across the screen.

Always remove the old foil first if possible, then slide the new one in its place. It may be a tight fit, be patient and you'll get there.
By blackbeard Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:24 pm
Guess I got lucky, I just put the screen face down and applied pressure as I twisted the tabs back over. The space seemed too tight to slip in the backlight, I had two mountains of solder and the metal casing to squeeze by. Maybe I was being too cautious about scratching the backlight. anyways all is well!
By Clint Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:59 pm
blackbeard wrote:Guess I got lucky

Some do, but an awful lot don't.

I learned the lesson the hard way, you came up trumps...
By MisterWhite Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:34 pm
Blackbeard, that looks great.

I would like to reinforce what Clint said about not opening the metal tabs on the back of the display and removing the glass. It can cause missing lines of pixels, and while this should never be permanent, it can be a source of stress and uncontrollable anger :)

You will notice that there isn't room to insert one of my backlights over the top of the old one, not in the MPC60 and ASQ10 at least. The old backlight should not be glued down, so it should be easy to remove once you have cut through the flat wire contacts, as shown here:

When you have cut through those two wire contacts, pull on them slowly and the old backlight should slide out. Then, slide the new backlight slowly and gently into place. Now you can reassemble the MPC60/ASQ10.

My backlights are not especially delicate, you will not scratch the coating from them by inserting them into the display. Just try to avoid bending the backlight excessively, that's all.