Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Colman Buckley Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:56 pm
Hi guys, just picked up my first MPC (60 V2.12) two days ago. I'm in love! It sounds amazing and really does live up to the high expectations I had for it!

Two things have bugged me today though, hopefully someone can tell me what's wrong.

(1) I sampled in a simple rhodes chord to the PR1 pad on the top left of the pads. It played fine as a single shot but when I turned on 16 Levels nothing happened, no sound through any of the pads. I made sure to check both 16 levels Tuning and 16 Levels Volume. No sound on each mode :( very frustrating .

(2) Following the first problem I decided to re-sample the chord on one of the other Perc pads, PR4 if I remember correctly, to see if the problem happened again. This time I was able to play the chord on the pads. Great!....But, I noticed on certain pads the chord sounded doubled up with an extra note, horribly detuned. This was happening on the top half of the pads, not the bottom half. Further more, two of the pads while pressed down started repeating the sound like a morse code sequence :(

This is especially annoying as last night I used the machine for about 6 hours and encountered none of these problems, granted I didn't sample into the Perc pads last night but there was no 'Morse Code' repeating and doubled up detuned sounds when I was playing chromatically.

Can anyone shed any light on these problems? Sorry for the long post, just wanted to makes sure I explained it right :)

Thanks in advance.

C
By mr_debauch Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:38 pm
wait.. okay, so you changed the mode to 16 levels tuning... and you pushed the pad you want and pushed the 16 levels button.. that isn't working properly? also, on 2.12 you can't have the sounds cut each other off nor can you put the pads to mono... it's only poly so you have to wait for a sample to end before pushing another pad or they will start stacking.
By Colman Buckley Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:53 pm
Hi, thanks. Yea just for that pad it's not letting me play 16 levels tuning or levels. it's annoying :(

Sorry, my second half of the question might not of been well explained. The Mono/Poly thing isn't an issue. This problem sounds technical to me, Playing one Pad sounds like two sounds, one of the sounds being slightly detuned. It sounds horrible! When holding down one of the other pads the note repeats randomly, it actually sounds pretty cool but its a problem I'd like to fix.
I could upload some sound clips for you if im still not making sense.. I find it hard to explain these things :?
By SimonInAustralia Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:08 pm
It sounds like your pads might not be working properly.

I would load sounds onto all the pads at once, and play each pad, to see if they are all working properly or not.
By Clint Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:20 pm
Reset the machine to default parameters, before troubleshooting on a newly purchased machine.
By Clint Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:38 pm
Pad sensors would be the prime suspect, providing all relevant internal connections have been checked/reseated. Where did this MPC come from, and what has the seller had to say??
By Colman Buckley Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:13 pm
I bought it from a buy and sell site here in Ireland, the guy had a few 2000XLs for sale so I just took a shot in the dark and asked if he had a 60 II. Got lucky :)
I'll send him a message tomorrow.
If it is the pad sensors how big of a job would it be to get them fixed? Is it something I can do on my own?

Thanks for your reply!