Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By maak Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:41 am
Someone is offering Vailixi Eproms on ebay claiming they are legit. His story though goes something like this: One day on a busy fleamarket in Amsterdam / Netherlands he met a guy from Australia who sold him bunch of Vailixi Eproms, the ones he's now selling on ebay.

So is it safe to get one fpr my MPC 3k? Will the machine refuse to boot up because if the serial numbers don't match this might happen, right? THx.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:39 am
maak wrote:One day on a busy fleamarket in Amsterdam / Netherlands he met a guy from Australia who sold him bunch of Vailixi Eproms, the ones he's now selling on ebay.

Lol, yes I'm sure Rohan Mansell went MIA so he could hang around Amsterdam flea markets selling bags of spare Vallixi ROMS to random passers-by. The mystery is solved.

I believe we all know the guy you are talking about, he has history and has been selling bootleg Vallixi Roms for quite some time, he's also been here trying to pass off an old beta OS for the MPC60 as his own. Just check his feedback history on ebay, you'll see he's been selling these bootleg roms for over a year. He just has all the required equipment to make his own whenever he pleases.

So, no they are not legit. They might work, in the same way that a bootleg DVD might work, so you take your chances. You'll find opinion is divided around here - some think it's fine as Rohan seems to have abandoned his business, others feel it is wrong that someone is profiting off the back of someone else's work.
By infinit Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:11 am
Im just eager to know wether they work or not. I've been debating about buying a set but don't like the fact that they are bootleg. With that said it seems like the only opinion for anyone who wants to upgrade their OS.

Also, which seller are each of you referring to? Their is one in Germany and one in France, both selling the 3.50 vailixi upgrade.
By master-ceo Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:24 am
Both are pretty much the same shit. A copy of a copy, just like anything else that come on EPROMs. Take your pick and keep it to yourself, because the topic is pretty much Taboo around here.
By Italo Brutalo Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:42 am
Hello!
I just checked them. They are working. The only difference is that there is no serial or anything shown up in the display when you turn the MPC on..
By viacom Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:03 am
Italo Brutalo wrote:Hello!
I just checked them. They are working. The only difference is that there is no serial or anything shown up in the display when you turn the MPC on..

the serial has been scraped off :wink:
By THE ADVERSARY Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:22 pm
viacom wrote:
Italo Brutalo wrote:Hello!

the serial has been scraped off :wink:

:lol:
Classic.
By *Pilchard* Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:08 pm
Italo Brutalo wrote: The only difference is that there is no cereal or anything shown up in the display .

Yeah the screen should be full of Coco Pops. :lol: :mrgreen:
By 14minus9 Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:07 pm
It's funny, because Vailixi was never legit by itself. Mansell used code by AKAI without license and modified it. That's illegal, you know?
By richie Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:51 am
14minus9 wrote:It's funny, because Vailixi was never legit by itself. Mansell used code by AKAI without license and modified it. That's illegal, you know?

Akai? I thought Linn gave Mansell the source for 3.10 to build upon though?
By A pair of Glasses Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:28 pm
14minus9 wrote:It's funny,. That's illegal, you know?

Not to offend any one in any way by this comment (minus I've qoute'd u for the funny cut/paste)

But lets be real on this forum that is dedicated to samplers.. A piece of equipment that can record a sound made by someone else, and flip it to another hit record....
There are off coarse al lot of options with this, but the number of times only the amen break has been sampled en not received any credits for this is huge... I guess...

Any one feels the hypocrisy???? :-)

Which leads me to the next point, there is no more support for these machines..
Only 3de party's and 3:10 to buy from Roger.. (which is nice of him)
So the information has to be found on forums like this one.
Look at what the people are doing with there old Atari's these days.
There all maxed out and full of gadgeds. It's an own community with people who still like there old machines, and also don't get any support from Atari.

Then what is wrong to build on something that doesn't get any support from anyone anymore? It's like chip tuning you're car when the guarantee has expired.

Greetz
By richie Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:05 pm
@Glasses what if the eproms have viruses that cause all your beats to have trap 1/64 hihat rolls?