Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By skyjunkie Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:54 pm
I have an MPC 3000 limited edition and had an issue with the jog wheel which I think it's pretty infamous with these machines.

The washer came off so I wanted to tighten the washer so I can use the the machine however the machine was on when I was trying to fix it and had a beat on the unit so I didn't to shut it off....

When I was done, I noticed that the play and record button would light up sporadically and if I would go to a menu on the 3000 it will revert back to the main screen sometimes it would play by itself and stop? limiting to create music :cry:

Has anyone had a similar issue?

Best regards :worthy:
By Clint Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:01 pm
skyjunkie wrote:Has anyone had a similar issue?

Trying to effect a repair while the machine is on, where is the sense in that?

Not being able to save a beat on a machine with storage options, where is the sense in that?

Maybe I'm just getting old and cynical, I just don't get it...

I doubt you'll find another person who did exactly what you did. I hope you learned from your mistakes and people here point you in the right direction.

That is no way to treat an LE.

Good luck though, and welcome to the forums!
By skyjunkie Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:24 pm
You're right it's was pretty stupid of me and I am paying for it now :(
however the machine turns on as usual but if you leave it alone it will play and stop by itself. My friend said it's the power supply..... but it could be something else...

I will post a video to clarify my findings. Thanks for the welcome
By 3K. Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:24 pm
Make sure the ribbon cable plug connecting the switch PCB with its counterpart is plugged in properly.
By skyjunkie Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:33 pm
Thanks I will check it out tonight and report back.
By skyjunkie Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:58 pm
Sorry about that master chief.. :Sigh:

I have open the machine up and revise that all the wires are connected properly has 3K. has suggested perhaps I missed something and attempting to open it again.
So since the record button is also lite I cannot press it to record.

Here is a quick video so you can all see the condition of the unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4T_esJ ... e=youtu.be
By Dustyfinga1.0 Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:25 pm
Sorry buddy. This doesn't sound good. :Sigh:

Electronics 101 should have taught you to NEVER put any tools to an energized machine! It doesn't take much static electricity to do MAJOR damage to integral circuits. No clue...Have you made sure the EPROMS are fully seated? and inspected all PCB's for a discolored/ burned like appearance and smell?
By THE ADVERSARY Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:59 pm
What exactly did you try to repair?
What did you take apart and what did you do while trying to fix the encoder?
By skyjunkie Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:09 pm
Hi and thanks for the replies, so these are the exact step I did.

I was working on a project and of course I should have shut off the unit... That's my bad :roll:

1. I removed the Cap to the rotary because the washer that holds the rotary stick was loose.

2. I tighten the screw which took me a few minutes and was a hassle but I tighten it well. I do recall the rotary

which looks like this [rotary Image

also I did not put any foreign objects into the machine nor the machine was open.
it's just the front rotary knob.

Last night when I opened the machines it was unplugged as well.
By Dustyfinga1.0 Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:53 pm
Ok, Just to clarify, You ONLY tightened the FLAT BOLT that holds the Rotary Encoder up in place Correct? What did you use to tighten it, a pair of metal pliers, a socket or what? It is fair to assume it was running while you did that?
If you haven't already, you are going to have to open it up and check all of the ribbon cable connections. Make sure they are all seated properly, especially the cable and connector that connects the rotary encoder to the PCB. Look for loose cables, and make sure no cables are being squished. Expect the worst, but hope for the best.
Good luck.
By THE ADVERSARY Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:19 pm
What probably happened is you biased the position of the encoder slightly and it now making contact.
Loosen the the nut on the encoder back up then open the unit and look at the encoders physical position from the inside.
Remove the 2 screws holding the bracket and drop the encoder.
Then make sure that the encoder is in the correct position in the bracket tighten it up and put the encoder back.

Make sure that the wires on the encoder aren't bent in a way that will allow them to make contact with the bracket or the MPC frame then try it out.
By skyjunkie Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:33 pm
Thanks for the replies!

I only used by hands to tighten the washer on the rotary since it's tight fit. I will try both solutions tonight and report back. I hope all goes well.

Thanks again
By THE ADVERSARY Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:05 pm
skyjunkie wrote:Thanks for the replies!

I only used by hands to tighten the washer on the rotary since it's tight fit. I will try both solutions tonight and report back. I hope all goes well.

Thanks again

It's not about being tight it's about being either in the wrong position or a wire making contact with metal.
If the encoder was the only thing you messed with then that's the problem area as it's highly unlikely the problem would have shown up at that exact moment.
By skyjunkie Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:01 am
:worthy: I want 2 thank everyone on this forum post that came to my aid and for taking your time to answer my questions.

It's was the ribbon connected to the PCB board that was loose!!! :worthy:

I also found a post here on the forum with another gentleman that had the same problem.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35003

now it's time to make a beat and :smoker:

I am a mpc forum user 4 life!