Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By acr23 Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:40 pm
Hi y`all,

lately I bought an mpc 3000 le (OS 3.11). I´m new in this forum and registered here because I hope there is someone who can help me with the issue I´m having with the built in zip 100 drive.

During the first five minutes, I can acces the zip 100 drive (load or save a file) without any issues. The internal zip 100 drive shuts after approximitately five minutes, though. When I try to acces the zipdrive after it shuts down , the mpc restarts and all the files in the memory (internal mpc memory/ram) are lost.

Is there a way of preventing the zip drive from shut after five minutes?
Is the zip drive faulty or is something wrong with the mpc 3000 itself (faulty scsi pcb)?

(I searched a lot in this forum and on any site google sugested, but couldn´t find the described issue or a solution.)

Any help appreciated!

peace
By Dave_Mode Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:36 am
Disconnect zip, restart Mpc, make a beat, sample, load one in.
Ensure the 3000 works without zip attached.
If it does, reconnect power only to zip, restart Mpc, make a beat, sample, load one in, to ensure everything functions while supplying power to the zip drive.
If it does, look for possible damage to the data connector, or connection area on the 3000.
Good luck, let's us know what u find.. And be extra careful when plugging/unplugging connections under the hood.
By acr23 Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:03 am
Thanks for your responses. What do you mean by "load one in"? I only have the internal zip drive for loading samples.

I will try the described process (will take some time). I'll let you know what I find.
By acr23 Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:13 pm
Phew! It's up and running.

I contacted Artmix, bought RaizinMonster and a scsi conversion kit. Loading and saving works again, due to the card I'm using now hotswap did not work. I'll try it with an older card as soon as I have one..

I also contacted Bruce Forat. He told me to bring the mpc to a service tech, for checking out the power supply. Went to a service tech, and he told me to come back when it's broken.. So the power supply needs to be repaired in the future..

So I just want to thank you guys for your help.

peace
By acr23 Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:29 pm
No, the power supply needs to be fixed. It doesn't have enough power for the zip drives motor/ electromechanic parts (That's what Bruce Forat told me).

The service tech I asked to check it, told me it would be easier to find the error when the mpc 3k's power supply does not work at all. Guess I'd be better off asking another tech to check out the power supply.

However for now it is working.
By acr23 Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:59 pm
Dave_Mode wrote:3000le is the dream machine.

Yes, it is a dream machine. I wanted to have a 3k le since it was released :lol:

The machine has all extensions (even the vga out).. I love to use it for chops, no more click sounds at the end of the samples, I love the filter, the sequencer.. It´s just whoaa..

It would be even better if I could find a service tech, who can check out the power supply.