Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By tank Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:49 am
When I play samples, there are artificial crackling noise artifacts added to the sound. This only happens on the right channel of the phones output, and right channel of the main outs. On the left channels there is no noise, and on the eight outs there is no noise also.

The artifacts are especially noticeable on the quieter parts of the sound, so for example, in a kick drum with a long tail the noise gets louder to the end.

The noise seems created from a digital source, so I suspect it is related with some damaged digital component.

I searched the forum and there are other people reporting the same problem, but no one have identified the root of the issue.

• Mpc60 noise while playback
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=118718
• crackling noise
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21745
• shot of noise,,,
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=172745
• Re: Noise when sampling kiks and lo frequencys
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=137843
By tank Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:37 pm
> Sounds like the bypass capacitors on the outputs, have they ever been changed?

I don't think they have been changed, but I'm not the first owner of the machine so not 100% sure.

> What model are you talking about?

It's the MPC 3000 (first edition).
By shiznay Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:52 pm
It's most likely that certain electrolytic caps are starting to fail, bypass capacitors hand off the audio signal between various 'stages' of the circuit board.
They remove DC content while allowing AC content (audio) to pass, these break down over time...
i'll go look for a schematic for you.. unless you have one already?
By A pair of Glasses Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:17 pm
Ah intressting.....
I have the same issue sometimes, and when I listen closely with the volume cranked up high I can hear some samples randomly playing even if the sequencer is of.
First guess its an cap somewhere @ the seq board..
I've did all the audio boards. That did the dc decoupling. But still there.. :hmmm:
By A pair of Glasses Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:30 pm
Pfoe... It's been a while...., it was an small blue capacitor (forgotten the English term for them) that I thought wasn't doing any de-coupling any more. I've recapt the entire mpc at the time. And it was gone. Strange things can happen with old or defective caps.

Greets
By A pair of Glasses Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:55 pm
Not an problem at all,

I do advise to do a firm recap of all of the boards when encountering this kind of issues.

I've did this board by board and narrowed it down to the (what I believe) is the sequencer section that triggers samples,
For my own bit of studying to keep the machine in top condition B-)

Greets