Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By EmPCee Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:59 am
Hi. My MPC 60 keeps on rebooting randomly. Sometimes it doesnt even get past the booting screen, rebooting 4-5 times. This problem just came out of nowhere, I use the MPC for more than a year now. What could be the cause of this? I already reseated all internal cables. Thank you
By mr_debauch Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:47 pm
that sucks man... it's that sinking feeling when you power on the machine and it's just not working... is it possible some of the components need to be replaced inside the machine? caps or any of that?

one of the geniuses will be on here any time now to suggest some things to look at.

good luck...
By pieuvre Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:56 am
Reflow solders on power supply board or better , change the big caps , always a good start .
By richie Thu May 26, 2016 9:17 pm
Whatever you do, unhook the power and press the power button a few times to discharge the capacitors.
By WASKMUSIC Thu May 26, 2016 10:06 pm
thanks for the replies. normally i wear my workshoes, so they are antistatic and so on. i also got a wooden floor, so no carpet or plastic stuff around, but good to know that you mentioned it. as i bought my unit, two capacitors where changed before, i think they were the yellowish ones.

but besides that, is it possible that it occures to be a random thing if the big black capacitor is dead? my thoughts are that if this thing is damaged, it should never boot up, but for now it works again. but i will have a look at this as soon as it appears again. ive got an us model with power converter. maybe this could also be a problem sometimes? im in europe/germany.

didnt know about the power on/off thing to discharge some of the energy, thanks for that also ;)
By richie Thu May 26, 2016 11:25 pm
@WASK Yeah man, sometimes you'll find that if you attempt to turn on electronics when unplugged, you could still turn it on for a split second, or at the very least get a light that'll flicker once. That power there is from the capacitors. Whenever I put my MPC's away, I flick the switch a couple of times just out of habit.

I hope you can get this stuff straightened out. Based on your recent threads, it's as if you're allergic to working MPCS :( Thankfully, if you have enough soldering skill, doing a complete cap replacement is a good place to start and quite cheap to accomplish.
By WASKMUSIC Fri May 27, 2016 1:01 am
hahaha yeah youre right.
maybe it looks like that, but i have a bunch of mpcs fully working, so my 60 is having this small issue with randomly rebooting, the other 60 is from a friend of mine, and she doesnt fire up, but its not mine and its not my problem for now ;) my old s900 doesnt power up. but besides that, if have many mpcs, sp's, sampletraks, a handful technics 1210 and so on and so on. everything is working absolutely fine.

soldering is no problem, i do all my stuff on my own. i had buld a custom vfd display for the sp1200 with a friend of mine, so skills are there ;)
By richie Fri May 27, 2016 2:12 am
@WASK I was just making a joke man, it wasn't a diss. If you have the time, you may just want to recap all your broken gear if you haven't already.
By A pair of Glasses Fri May 27, 2016 3:22 pm
Your right that if the big black cap is totally dead that it would boot up... But the big black cap is never total dead,., if u measure it it will still have a couple of percentages left in it,
By WASKMUSIC Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:04 pm
just installed the PSU board 1 hour ago. i resoldered the 3 big capacitors on the PSU board, since then (1 hour for now) no booting problems. why no new ones? because its in the middle of the night and i thought i should give it a try. will report back if somethings changed, good or bad. thanks for all the replies and your help.