Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By dhwand71 Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:04 pm
I just noticed yesterday that when I press the play and the record button my system freezes on my mpc 3000. Sometimes after I shut it off and back on it works okay for a while then it freezes up again and I have to reboot. It happens only when the record button is pressed. I don't think it is the tact switches because it will respond and light up It juts freezes the machine. Can anyone assist me with this issue ?
By Dustyfinga1.0 Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:16 pm
Have you opened it up to inspect, and make sure all the connections are good with nothing being pinched, or shorting?
That's the first step.
By richie Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:26 am
@dhwand71 based on your other thread posting, I think you should really take your machine to someone to diagnose any potential electronic faults. Those machines are 20+ years old so there is something bound to happen.

Disconnecting and re-seating the connections is always the first thing anyone should try, if there are still faults then you have to dig deeper. If you're not experienced with that stuff, take it to someone who is and prevent yourself from messing it up more.
By Dustyfinga1.0 Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:30 pm
dhwand71 wrote:Yes I opened it up and disconnected and reconnected all the cables. It still does it sporadically. Have you experienced this yourself before ?

No, nothing like that. Did you remove the PCB and inspect it? Make sure your OS EPROMS are fully seated? I wonder if someone replaced the tact switches and did not solder it correctly into the through hole or left some solder on the surface which is causing a short. Post some pictures of the malfunction if you get a chance. I'm curious.