Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By sorinp Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:53 pm
Hi guys, here is picture of my screen... there are no dead pixels, everything is clear except that it's very very dark... Will the backlight kit fix this or do I need a new screen all together? From what I've read it seems a simple new backlight will solve this but I would like to hear from more experienced members that may I have gone through this. Also, I went on eBay and found a few people selling these backlight kits, are they all the same more or less or should I get one in particular?

Cheers from Montreal! Thanks!

By richie Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:07 pm
You just need to replace the backlight.
By sorinp Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:00 pm
By richie Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:36 am
They're all the same. All 3 eBay auctions also have the 2 wires already soldered which will save you a few minutes, or years depending on how good or not you are at soldering.
By Dustyfinga1.0 Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:00 pm
sorinp wrote:Ok, it's what I thought, thanks! Are they more or less all the same?

I found this one from mpcstuff for $65 US
http://www.mpcstuff.com/akai-mpc-3000-60-ii-lcd-back-light-replacement-backlight/

And also these two on eBay ($33 US)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/REPLACEMENT-BACKLIGHT-KIT-for-AKAI-MPC-60II-Mk2-MPC-3000-and-VX600-synth-sampler-/321723841432?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ae83c3b98

and this ($22 US)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Backlight-for-Akai-MPC3000-MPC60II-MK2-VX600-/261845234429?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf73132fd

Just wondering if I just get the cheapest one...

Thanks in advance for any feedback

Sorin

I disagree about them all being the same. I've bought the cheapos in the past and they are no good IMO. Spring for the ones from: http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/saint_baz
Mister White's product is way better. Plus no soldering, just plug and play.
By richie Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:02 am
@Dustyfinga1.0 I can respect that you are wanting to big up a fellow MPC FORUMS member but I am curious what differences you have found with the 'cheapo' ones.

The only deviations I have ever witnessed was the adhesive on the laminate of one of the backlights I got but it didn't make it any less bright than the expensive ass ones.
By Dustyfinga1.0 Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:04 am
richie wrote:@Dustyfinga1.0 I can respect that you are wanting to big up a fellow MPC FORUMS member but I am curious what differences you have found with the 'cheapo' ones.

The only deviations I have ever witnessed was the adhesive on the laminate of one of the backlights I got but it didn't make it any less bright than the expensive ass ones.

Well @ richie, it could be possible that I just simply had bad luck with the cheaper foils. The first one I bought from an eBay seller for a 60mk1 had poorly attached copper leads which ultimately failed shortly after installation. So I'm out $20.. Big deal right? I tried another seller, if I remember correctly this one was like $32. It was essentially the same thing; decent light but it also made the notorious humming issue way worse. I ultimately bit the bullet and tried one of the expensive UK ones and haven't looked back. Yes, they are expensive, but I believe in the "you get what you pay for" theory. Plug and play plus no humming, for me it's worth the little extra to fix it and get back to work.
By richie Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:59 am
@Dustyfinga1.0 I hear what you're saying man. I had something like that happen, where one of the leads from the el-foil just came off and i barely touched it, thankfully the seller replaced it for me.

It sucks that you had some wack experiences. $20 is still a big deal man, or at least it is to me. I wonder why the humming got worse for you, as far as I'm aware the hum comes from the inverter and not the foil. If anything, I'm curious why there are not more colors available for our machines.
By sorinp Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:23 pm
The seller of the least expensive one ($22 US) is from Italy, his handle is dope_shht_only and he sent me the following pic

I suppose it's impossible to tell anything from this picture, he just told me it's plug and play like all the others and installs exactly the same way as the youtube tutorial from mpcstuff.com.

The most expensive one is indeed from mpcstuff.com ($65), I wonder if I should bite the bullet? Anybody order the backlight from mpcstuff.com? Recommended or not? It's 3X the price...
By C-Quence Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:37 pm
do not buy the one from mpc stuff. He used to sell the one from staint_baz aka matt white. MPC Stuff recently started selling that same backlight that the dope shyt guy sells. Those are $12 backlights on ebay from a seller named abakuscom in china. I have personally seen those installed in a machine. They look terrible. They are bright but the text is very blurry. i can assure you backlights are not all the same

If you want a nice solder free backlight buy the one from saint_baz in the uk.

please note that your backlight inverter can also be bad. It is not uncommon to install a new backlight and the backlight still does not work. press the contrast knob to turn the backlight on and off. You should be able to see a change in the screen brightness. Otherwise listen for the inverter humm to go on and off. if you dont see any illumination or hear a humm your inverter is probably bad too.

Proper testing would require you to use a test meter to measure voltage.
Last edited by C-Quence on Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.