Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By viacom Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:08 am
you may very well already know this, but have you tried clicking the little contrast knob? It works as an on/off switch for the backlight.

When I first bought my 3k I used it for a few weeks before finding this out !
By konc3pt Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:14 am
viacom wrote:you may very well already know this, but have you tried clicking the little contrast knob? It works as an on/off switch for the backlight.

When I first bought my 3k I used it for a few weeks before finding this out !

this^^^ press the contrast knob, your backlight isnt on
By richie Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:59 pm
sorinp wrote:But he's checking a whole bunch of other stuff too :lol:

Yes, he has to "find" something wrong make sure he gets paid for his time.
By sorinp Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:58 pm
LOL yes... but truthfully there are a few things wrong: a few tact switches need to be replaced, the jog wheel data skips, floppy drive always give the FF80 (I think it's that) error message...
By Flub Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:57 am
Hi ,
I almost finished reverse engineering the display. When i finished i can take any display.
There is a some careful soldering need to get the databus and stuff but perhaps there is a solution to get the signals at spots that are more reachable.
Another possibility is to take something which is pot on the chip but i think the connection is not as stable as soldered. If there is interest I can try to make it possible to to be build in without too much danger.

Have a nice day,
Flub
By sorinp Tue May 05, 2015 8:50 pm
On my end I bought the CF RaizinMonster SCSI internal kit yesterday—so no more floppy yipee—and cannot wait to install that. Regarding the backlight I've been in contact with Matt from the UK and just may end up buying his upon all your recommendations. In the meantime I was also in contact with dope_sh*t from Italy and he was kind enough to send it to me for free to try it out (I only paid for shipping). I realize it seems to be a sub-par product but I have to try it out to see for myself. Not sure what to expect but I took some pictures to share with you. I should get that installed this week and report back.

By richie Tue May 05, 2015 10:42 pm
The build quality on that display looks excellent man.
By sorinp Wed May 06, 2015 9:10 pm
Richie, what do you base your statement on? I showed this to UK Matt (Saint_Baz) and he laughed... The guy is merely reselling a product made in China without any modification and a slight mark-up. But you say otherwise? I personally cannot vouch for the quality of this backlight, I will show it to my technician and ask him what he thinks. But if you have some additional info I would like to know please. Thanks.
By richie Thu May 07, 2015 2:55 am
This thread is getting ridiculous, forget I even bothered to say anything.

Saint Baz is in the business of making money, hence why it is no sh-t that he is going to downplay the competition. Ask yourself, does the backlight appear to work, is it bright? The backlight pictured looks like it has better laminate than the cheaper Chinese ones I've personally seen. Secondly, the heatshrink tubing and wire looks nicely connected as well and the contact from the center looks like it'll be sturdier than some of the stuff I've received from different sources.

I have also crossed paths with people that make these by hand locally in Canada, where do you think the supplies come from to make these? China. Do you think that Saint Baz has a mortar and is making these from hand like some homeopathic medicine? Christ this is so stupid.
By sorinp Thu May 07, 2015 4:53 pm
Actually it's not stupid at all, I'm sorry you feel this way. Saint_Baz told me to be careful because he's seen the damage caused by cheap and nasty backlights. He goes on by saying that "they are high voltage components that can do all kinds of unusual damage that a fuse or resistor cannot protect from. Bad memory just doesn't work properly, and bad displays will just blow a fuse or look nasty. Bad backlights can mean totally destroy logic chips."

I have pictures of his backlight, you cannot even compare, it's custom-made. I'm not saying the backlight I got will create problems but it is clear as night and day that Saint_Baz's product is superior, hence the price.

In any case I'm posting this information for the benefit of all members. What you find stupid may be helpful for someone else... don't you think?