Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Mister Ugly Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:07 pm
I am working on MPC 3000, that was great deal. The MPC turns on but the screen is blank (not blue) and all the LED's stay lit. I had examined the power PCB board and there was some corrosion and looked as if something had or was spilled in it at one time. I cleaned he board with 100% isopropyl alcohol (same type I use for pre solder cleaning). I noticed the solder joints under the molex connector (W904) were a bit corroded. I removed the old solder and cleaned the connections then soldered them again. After I installed it back in the MPC, same issue. Only headway (good or bad) is when I checked the joints with a multimeter the second joint had triggered a click in the disk drive and the screen went blue with a 1 pixel line across it vertically.

I will be checking the fuses next, which I should have done first, but they appeared to be fine. My next step is to check the continuity on each fuse tomorrow. I have seen several post's about this but never a concrete fix, or even an answer as to what caused the issue, even when the OP claims the unit was fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is a [A] [C] MPC 3000 so I have already troubleshooted the compatibility issue (120v VS. 220v) that some users have come across, due to buying an MPC meant for other regions, this is a 120v MPC 3000.
By Mister Ugly Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:37 pm
Here is the pic from last week when I first opened it. I can post better pics tomorrow no problem, I did clean it up substantially since this pic. Just let me know what pics would help, I am going to test the fuses first thing in the morning with my multimeter.

This is HTML so I need to get photo bucket to post the pics-
By Dustyfinga1.0 Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:37 am
Awesome. I love these rebuild projects. :popcorn:
How much did you pay for it and where did you pick it up?
It definitely needs some love.
To answer your question, Yes there is. On the post page click the image tab and paste the photobucket url between the [img]
Make sure to preview before posting to make sure the image shows up.
By Mister Ugly Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:15 am
Thanks, you rule! I'm new to the forum so I'm getting familiar now with everything. I got it for $150. I have been doing MPC repairs for a few years now, this would be the 4th 3000 I have come across though. Te other were backlight repairs, and the one was a pad sensor swap out. One of my past customers had a Rane 57 mixer he needed the USB replaced on, he saw I had a 2000 there that day and told me he had a 2 3000's. Long story I wanted the working one but he wouldn't part with it, so we made a deal for this one.

I'm doing a check on all 4 fuses tomorrow then going from there, to be honest your the only person to reply and I appreciate it. Do you know or do any MPC repairs yourself? What do you think is the issue, it's got my brain racked.
By Dustyfinga1.0 Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:54 am
Yeah, I do repairs. I mostly collect though. I find the 60's and 3000's pure pleasure to fix and create with. They just don't make them like that anymore. SMH.
Well, obviously you seem to know the basics, so I agree that you need put the multimeter to work. Do you have the service manual?
There are some fellow forum users who are amazingly knowledgeable on the technical and electrical aspects of these machines, so hopefully some of them can chime in and help you get it running.
You checked all of connections right? Does it have any RAM installed? It's hard to tell from the picture. EPROMs are fully seated?
Post more pictures as you go. Good luck.
By Mister Ugly Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:04 am
Thanks Dave_Mode, I found a few more possible issues on here I had over looked in troubleshooting it.

Dustyfinga, it has 32MB RAM installed, and I did check the majority of the EPROM's, thinking I should pull them clean connections then reseat them. I'm going to get on it in the morning and report back. There are some really legit forum members here that's why I finally got on here.
By Mister Ugly Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:57 am
Issue was fixed, I desoldered the entire power PCB, cleaned it and made all new joints. There were few cold joints on the board, and rechecked the caps, all good now. I am very thankful I had the help of a forum member that was really experienced in repairing the 3000 (minus a "know it all attitude" I find rampant on this forum). Thanks to the few of you that had a genuine effort to help me out. Sorry it took so long for the results, but I'm not getting notifications on forum responses. I find that the people that really know their shit are very humble, ironically.
By JUKE 179r Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:05 pm
Troy Braden wrote:Can’t get mine to work either. Installed a new LED backlight and now just a bright screen and all right lights are on???

Where did you get the led light from?
Recheck your wire ribbon connections so they are in the correct spot and secured in place.