Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Mister Ugly Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:23 pm
What's up, I just got my hands on a MPC 60 II on a trade. The issue is, the screen has some jumbled text, almost looks like the OS is corrupted. I pulled the V 2.12 CPU's , cleaned the terminals and the same issue. Anyone on here ever encounter this? Anyone ever do any MPC 60 II repairs? As usual, any help would be much appreciated.
By Mister Ugly Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:47 am
Thanks for the reply, I'm in the process off fully disassembling it and cleaning the whole machine. I contacted Roger Linn Design yesterday, I actual got a reply from Roger himself!! He said it wasn't the OS but a hardware issue with the MPC most likely. I'm going to finish the machine in the AM and I'll let you know what happens. I wanted to swap the EPROM's to to the 3.10 OS but want the MPC to fully functioning before dumping the money into the upgrade. I appreciate the response though and will keep you posted on the results.
By mr_debauch Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:46 pm
yeah roger is awesome and will reply. This forum is your best resource for your mpc when it comes to this sort of thing. Yeah I don't think it is the OS at all either... you should be on the right track though... these machines are 25 years old.
By MPC3013 Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:39 pm
Hello. I have a MPC60 with upgrades OS 3.10e, RAM, SCSI.

After a break in the work I noticed a defect of OS loading, it was suggested to insert the boot disk (photo 1). After a long wait the main menu appears with distorted characters (photo 2). When I press any of the buttons, nothing happens (but lights the LEDs when you press the button «Full level», «16 levels» ...).
When connecting ZIP, SyQuest and CF - a problem remains. When removing RAM (EXM003 Module) and SCSI (Hard Disk Interface) - problem remains.
Backlighting works well. Under the buttons «Edit», «Step Edit», ... can hear the monotonous hum.
To test the power supply, I do not know the values of the stresses that he has to give to the MPC60 boards.
Please tell me how to revive my MPC!

Maybe I should use MPC60 test disk. Where to find this program?

By MPC3013 Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:00 am
Roger Linn answered me the following –
The distorted characters are not in the Operation System text but rather in the data displayed in the various fields, so your OS chips are fine. The problem is that your disk drive or floppy disk is damaged and needs replacement, which is why the data in the fields is bad. Floppy drive problems are very common in such an antique product. I suggest you contact ___ to obtain a replacement drive.
By Dj Khayos Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:09 pm
MPC3013 wrote:Image

Cover up those EPROMS with some stickers, they are sensitive to (erasable with) UV light!
By Mister Ugly Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:45 pm
I do not think my issue is a corrupt OS after some trouble shooting. I think it's the floppy drive, I'm 80% sure. I have another floppy but obviously due to the power connector it's not a compatible one for the 60 II. I also have a older zip drive but it looks like I would need an adapter- PLUS there is a difference in the voltage (12v VS. 5v). I'm stumped on a fix without spending $100 on a floppy drive from MPC Stuff. Anyone have any advice?
By mr_debauch Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:51 pm
people take the floppy drives out from what i understand... because they put in card readers internally (HXC and SCSI ones) so I doubt the floppy drive is causing issues. check for broken traces on the motherboard.