Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By SEMS Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:58 pm
***UPDATE: DISREGARD THIS POST & SEE MY FURTHER POST BELOW***

I got a SCSI2SD today. Did some initial tests using it externally with a 3K with v3.10 on it. Seemed all good!

I divided it into 4x 780mb partitions. Used SCSI IDs 1-4. I was able to access all 4 SCSI IDs from the MPC & format each one accordingly. Did some quick save / load tests and everything seemed to work fine. Again, I'm using externally with the latest firmware from the website. Not sure what others have done with other OS's etc...
Last edited by SEMS on Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Horseclick Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:22 pm
great and thanks for the update,

enjoy using it, but one word of advice the val hybrid partition is a life save as your able to browse the contents of the first partition ie for you scsi id 1, so you can back up your stuff to and from computer.

im not sure how you can see any of the contents of the scsi2sd with the normal akai partion.

would be interesting if you figure that one out.

i believe there ancient fat12 or other type of File Allocation Table (FAT) system.

keep us updated if you figure it out.

congrats once again sems
By SEMS Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:11 am
Thanks man. I hadn't really thought about backing it up to computer. To be honest I've never in nearly 20 years of using MPCs ever backed up to computer so I guess it just never even crossed my mind. I usually track pretty fast after I start a song, so if anything I can usually go back into my sessions & re-sample & arrange things. Fingers crossed I never need to tho :D
By SEMS Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:40 pm
Ok, so I'm basically an idiot. I was so excited that I jumped the gun.

SCSI2SD DOES NOT WORK WITH OS 3.10

I was able to see & format the SD correctly, however I was NOT able to save SND or APS files. Yesterday I was able to save ALL files, SEQ files and PARAM files, so I figured it was all good. Of course, when I tried to save an APS file today, it gave me the FF10 error. Obviously, the file is too large. I tried pretty much every option that you can do with the SCSI2SD on the software side, but was still unable to get it to work. Must have something to do with the Multi-sector write that needs to be turned off if you have 3.50.

Apologies for spreading false information, I should've known better than to post something publicly before I'd put it through rigorous paces. I was having a great day yesterday & guess I got a little too excited. Hopefully my experience helps someone else. And hopefully sometime in the future this can be resolved. Fortunately for me, I can still use it with my S3000XL (works absolutely perfectly with that) and switch over my Powermonster CF reader from the S3K to the MPC 3K (which also works just fine).

EDIT: the last thing I forgot to say was that I was only able to try 1 card: a Sandisk 4GB MicroSD. I didn't have any others around. Not sure if that affected what happened or if another card may work better. I know these things can be temperamental.
By richie Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:57 am
@SEMS if it is any consolation then know that as long as it can be updated, this issue can eventually be resolved.
By Horseclick Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:08 pm
ok thanks for the update,

this was exactly the same behaviour with the older firmware for scsi2sd, the 3k dont like it, it lets you format and save small files but any larger files ti stops dead with a error,

but with the val OS you are good to go.