Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Elias Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:51 am
Alex Fischels wrote:I'm pretty sure you just go to Programs/Sounds - Rename,cpy,delete (#7) and select a stereo sample, hit delete and it will ask if you want to convert to mono

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it only lets you choose which side to delete... so no real stereo to mono conversion.
By Alex Fischels Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:12 pm
This is true but how much of a difference is there between the left and right side of most stereo drum samples?

Best to just pick the side you like and roll with it. I could see phase cancellation or something funky going on if you tried to merge 2 semi-identical samples.
By BoyOfVirtue Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:40 pm
Wal Martian wrote:To see if it's working try unplugging the red cable from your patchbay, plug it back in, then unplug the grey cable, and plug it back in. One should silence any sound coming through, the other should have no effect.

Ah yes this would have been a much easier way to test it. As you correctly predicted, unplugging one of the cables did silence the sound.

I still tested it anyways and the sample that was recorded through the Y-Cable did end up sounding a little louder, and the waveform seems to confirm this. Who knows why that happened.

I recorded the following drumbreak into my MPC3000 using three different methods and then sampled it into my 2500, saved it, and transferred it into my computer.

Using the Y-Cable stereo to mono:

Mono recording through normal stereo cables:

Stereo recording through stereo cables:

So yeah....draw your own conclusions :hmmm:
By BoyOfVirtue Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:44 pm
Alex Fischels wrote:This is true but how much of a difference is there between the left and right side of most stereo drum samples?

Best to just pick the side you like and roll with it. I could see phase cancellation or something funky going on if you tried to merge 2 semi-identical samples.

Depending on the drumbreak and how it's miked--eg: panned hard left or right--it can really make a big difference in how the drums knock. I just took a break from a Paul NIce drum library record and I'm guessing that he mixed it so that the L/R channels would be fairly uniform, to suit his intended audience.

I know of a particular kickdrum that really benefits from the stereo-->mono conversion, tomorrow I'll try the same thing with that sample to put the issue to rest for me (although WalMartian pretty much put it to rest with the test he suggested)
By richie Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:51 am
Since I store all my drum breaks and samples on my workstation. I load whatever break I have up in cool edit, there is a channel setting for 'average' , left mono, right mono. Depending on how the drums are panned will determine what sound I am going off of. If I use the average, I can also adjust the % amount of left and right channel I want to use in my mono output. It works well for me.
By HaterNob Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:35 am
As somebody else said, you can select to delete one side and that converts it to Mono. When I sample a break I do so in stereo, copy the sample and then out each stereo sample on it's own pad. I then delete the R side of one and the L of the other. Then I can audition each sample and choose which side sounds best. I generally find that one side has more ambience and the other dry hits. If you want both sides then just use the stereo sample.
By Bugfix Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:38 am
^^ he wants to merge 2 channels to 1 which is edit option, or as resampling outs on newer mpcs. If 3000 can't record a sample while also play a sample from pads to output (mix or st) - you can't. Otherwise it would be possible in the box by swapping cables on input and recording R and L only to left side for instance. Beside I rather have both samples as mono and have control over each channel on stereo sample.

On the other hand if you got dj mixer can't you just connect from turntable R cable to channel 1 leftside and L cable to channel 2 also left :smoker: and mix within faders on left channel only
By sensei Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:07 pm
My DJ mixer that I use for sampling has a mono switch on each of the two input channels. So I can sum stereo signals to mono on either of the two channels. The mixer is a Stanton SA8. Pretty amazing routing options on this mixer actually. Good studio tool.
By nu-comer Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:41 am
sensei wrote:My DJ mixer that I use for sampling has a mono switch on each of the two input channels. So I can sum stereo signals to mono on either of the two channels. The mixer is a Stanton SA8. Pretty amazing routing options on this mixer actually. Good studio tool.

This.

Having a good mixer with the mono switch is a blessing. I use MONACOR MPX-4PA - it does have the switch. I suggest looking for this type of a mixer.